RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jasonmccook1

naming of dogs

5 hours ago, jasonmccook1 said:

I see a dog has just recently been named that in my opinion is breaching rule 124. 1 D.

Dog is named scamper clear but already dog registered scamper Clair (2008) how was it not picked up or do they not have robust checks in place?

Spelling is different.

At first I was going to differ with you Jason, but after a bit of research you may have a valid point.

They are two different words, with different meanings, only subtle differences in pronunciation, & very similar phonetically.

124.1 When application is made to name a Greyhound full regard shall be paid to the criteria contained in the following:
d. The name is not similar phonetically to one already granted;

Clair - Generally a given female name. - http://static.sfdict.com/staticrep/dictaudio/C05/C0520500.mp3 

Clear - Free from obscurity - http://static.sfdict.com/staticrep/dictaudio/C05/C0540900.mp3 .

8 hours ago, twirly berly said:

Goldstar jeanie was Jean Jeanie  and was changed as there was a gene jeanie  in aus

No it was because there was already a Jean Jeannie. The one in Aus had one extra 'n' in Jean Jeannie . 

The one I can't believe got through is Puma Pants. A dog was named this two years prior, however after a couple of complaints had to change after a couple of starts. If the names banned in Aus, surely the same would have been applicable in NZ...

James

Another one ive seen is newly registered greyhound - Mocha Chino

The mother of Silver Collar winner Mr. Chino, Mochaccino is said the same, but spelt differently.

Maybe within the time frame allowed , unsure but was surprised when going through the recent registrations to find this

Puma Pants is terrible, just childish and immature of the connections who named him.

I agree with Mocha Chino and Scamper Clear, they are pronounced exactly the same as the previous dogs who only raced a short time ago.

Cant connections use their brains and come up with their own names rather then just copying others and rearranging the spelling?

4 minutes ago, I know said:

Have you not heard of the band name 

If so, then they must of had written permission from the band.

124.1 When application is made to name a Greyhound full regard shall be paid to the criteria contained in the following:

The name is not a trade name (unless accompanied with evidence from the company approving the name);

There was that galloper in the early 2000's called Frenzel Rhomb after the Australian Punk Band of the same name. They included a song on the end of their best selling album which was a tribute to the horse, cool stuff