RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
grandad47

Greyhounds are not commodities

3 hours ago, aquaman said:

You do not know your history. Greyhounds had far bigger turnovers 25 yrs ago long before imports or co mingling. And you are talking rot in the belief that we need imports to sustain turnover. Stars are stars where ever they are born.

Common John maybe it is you who does not know history.....lets name a few imports from 30 odd years ago that have played a major part in nz history....HI RATIO..THE FORT...BALLARUE  HOVE..SANDY SHANE..WENDYS LEGEND...SILENT WONDER( raced in aus as perfect tip ) ROYAL COMMISSION ...With out imports all our fields would be c1 races...the few that go to c5 would not get a race..

47 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

Common John maybe it is you who does not know history.....lets name a few imports from 30 odd years ago that have played a major part in nz history....HI RATIO..THE FORT...BALLARUE  HOVE..SANDY SHANE..WENDYS LEGEND...SILENT WONDER( raced in aus as perfect tip ) ROYAL COMMISSION ...With out imports all our fields would be c1 races...the few that go to c5 would not get a race..

Of course our history is full of imports. Australias history is full of imports, all greyhounds world wide have imports in the pedigree. I was the first to use Wendys Legend. My breed went back to The Fort. I know my history. I also know we need to be more selective in what is imported, and what is bred from. I also think the best way to do this is to tax the hell out of the rubbish that has been flooding our shores, sprinters,fighters,nonies, and encourage the quality ones with no tax. Once again just for you Steve, nothing wrong with the right imports.

10 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Of course our history is full of imports. Australias history is full of imports, all greyhounds world wide have imports in the pedigree. I was the first to use Wendys Legend. My breed went back to The Fort. I know my history. I also know we need to be more selective in what is imported, and what is bred from. I also think the best way to do this is to tax the hell out of the rubbish that has been flooding our shores, sprinters,fighters,nonies, and encourage the quality ones with no tax. Once again just for you Steve, nothing wrong with the right imports.

Sorry you did use the term ....long before imports..

3 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

Sorry you did use the term ....long before imports..

You are right, but what i mean't was before it became fashionable to import entire race teams, and the flooding of NZ by big Aussie breeders, Wheeler etc. In the days that you mention it was only Stud Dogs. Anyway nice chatting with you Steve, time to start feeding, so i will bid you goodby.

One thing more, back in the good old days, about 1991 i had litters on the ground that were 87.5% Irish blood, this was through selective breeding with the imports Curryhills Bold, and Wendys Legend using my bitches that went back to The Fort.

It appears Ancient Egyptians started importing Greyhounds circa 2000bc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_breed

"Archaeology has revealed dog remains of various sizes but there does not appear to have been distinctive breeds until 3,000-4,000 years ago when greyhound-type dogs were depicted on pottery and paintings in Egypt and Western Asia."

45 minutes ago, aquaman said:

One thing more, back in the good old days, about 1991 i had litters on the ground that were 87.5% Irish blood, this was through selective breeding with the imports Curryhills Bold, and Wendys Legend using my bitches that went back to The Fort.

,Ha knew what you meant....and yes i forgot curryhills bold and hildas gift ...both holding strong pasts in our racing..

22 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

It appears Ancient Egyptians started importing Greyhounds circa 2000bc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_breed

"Archaeology has revealed dog remains of various sizes but there does not appear to have been distinctive breeds until 3,000-4,000 years ago when greyhound-type dogs were depicted on pottery and paintings in Egypt and Western Asia."

Also Yani, drawings inside the Pharaoh tombs, pyramids. They depict early Greyhounds. They would be buried with the Pharaoh as part of his wealth.

6 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

,Ha knew what you meant....and yes i forgot curryhills bold and hildas gift ...both holding strong pasts in our racing..

I also sent a bitch to Australia to be mated to an Irish Derby winner by the name of Rathgallen Tady. That produced C5 runners Aqua Blast, Aqua Zoom, Aqua Scruff. That was in the days when you had to fly the bitch to Aus, before frozen semen. Now remind me, who was the sire of Magic Command, very good sire imported by the Kingstons, name slips me, but he sired just about everything in the 80's,

You know what worries me is where is the sport heading never mind the breeding of dogs we need young people coming through to train , the sport has 

not changed financially in fact gone backwards so like me i had to go to work to earn enough to feed and race dogs, only when i retired could i do what we are doing now , but in saying that we are $80,000 in the negitive in the last 2years , sure we have 3 litters of pups coming through but how does someone with the passion get going and survive , i can tell you now give it a couple of years and a lot of the young ones will disapear...Now here is my plan to fix that.

1...GAP kennels in levin....build a track,have 6 kennel blocks of 6 dog kennels,employ a older trainer to oversee the 6 young trainers,make it a buisness and use them to break in dogs for everyone ,a thing that is lacking for all pups,this will half the dogs going to GAP simply because they are broken in well.

5 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

You know what worries me is where is the sport heading never mind the breeding of dogs we need young people coming through to train , the sport has 

not changed financially in fact gone backwards so like me i had to go to work to earn enough to feed and race dogs, only when i retired could i do what we are doing now , but in saying that we are $80,000 in the negitive in the last 2years , sure we have 3 litters of pups coming through but how does someone with the passion get going and survive , i can tell you now give it a couple of years and a lot of the young ones will disapear...Now here is my plan to fix that.

1...GAP kennels in levin....build a track,have 6 kennel blocks of 6 dog kennels,employ a older trainer to oversee the 6 young trainers,make it a buisness and use them to break in dogs for everyone ,a thing that is lacking for all pups,this will half the dogs going to GAP simply because they are broken in well.

Now that is a good idea, and it would be self funding, this is the sort of vision thats lacking in our industry.

30 minutes ago, aquaman said:

I also sent a bitch to Australia to be mated to an Irish Derby winner by the name of Rathgallen Tady. That produced C5 runners Aqua Blast, Aqua Zoom, Aqua Scruff. That was in the days when you had to fly the bitch to Aus, before frozen semen. Now remind me, who was the sire of Magic Command, very good sire imported by the Kingstons, name slips me, but he sired just about everything in the 80's,

20 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Now that is a good idea, and it would be self funding, this is the sort of vision thats lacking in our industry.

magic command was by club colours which was by another import kims mint

30 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Hey Steve, have a look at your e mails and tell me what you think, it will put sprinters in perspective.

Fantastic,but gezz it would get ac going......its sad but sprinters are our life....give me the choice they would run for a ribbon . but animal welfare would have a field day.....the day we made two sprint races group ones were the saddest days in my 40 plus years in the sport , and i have some handy sprinters ,but would be proud to win a g3 with them ........how could i ever compare a g1 sprint win with a nz cup win ......but hold on they bred from them saying thy are g1 winners.......guess some board members are desperate to have a g1 winner.

6 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

Fantastic,but gezz it would get ac going......its sad but sprinters are our life....give me the choice they would run for a ribbon . but animal welfare would have a field day.....the day we made two sprint races group ones were the saddest days in my 40 plus years in the sport , and i have some handy sprinters ,but would be proud to win a g3 with them ........how could i ever compare a g1 sprint win with a nz cup win ......but hold on they bred from them saying thy are g1 winners.......guess some board members are desperate to have a g1 winner.

May I ask what the issue is with group one sprint racing? If it attracts the best sprinters, than Id say its a good thing, its all the low grade dogs that I dislike seeing going around

6 minutes ago, Sairy said:

May I ask what the issue is with group one sprint racing? If it attracts the best sprinters, than Id say its a good thing, its all the low grade dogs that I dislike seeing going around

Because it sends the wrong message. The dicks in administration stripped great races like the Kingston Cup 732, and the Nancy Cobain 744 now reduced to 660 from Group1's to Group 2's. They then promoted two lotto races, one 295, the other 318 to Group 1's. Its called dumbing down.

14 minutes ago, Sairy said:

Simple ...most of these dogs will produce what you hate....how could you compare a litter out of firemans galaxy to a litter out of lady shambi....both group one winners ( just using this as a example as the group sprints have only been in for 12mnths  ) both advertised as group one winners out of the same sire .......sorry and i will say it again and again and again we are not horse racing and sprinters do not need to and should race at group one level...but proud to win a g2

And the main point is in a 300mtr race you can win it with luck with a dog with not much ability...you cant and never will in a 500mtr race...the fav might get beaten but not by a dog that had a bit of luck on the first bend it will always be won by a dog that has ability.....and that is why sprint racing in gallops is different..

40 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

And the main point is in a 300mtr race you can win it with luck with a dog with not much ability...you cant and never will in a 500mtr race...the fav might get beaten but not by a dog that had a bit of luck on the first bend it will always be won by a dog that has ability.....and that is why sprint racing in gallops is different..

Well the winner of the railway was in my opinion very deserving, to break 18.10 three times at Auckland is outstanding and he has proven himself over 457 and 520 aswel, but I geuss I understand what you mean

23 hours ago, Sairy said:

im sorry if I have pushed a few buttons clarkie, just giving my own personal opinion and I do not think punishing imported dogs is the way to go. We need restrictions on breeding in NZ and the avg. trainer should be aspiring to breed a better class of dog than your avg. C1 sprinter... You must agree with me on that at the very least especially considering most NZ bred dogs you have had are good C4-5 dogs. It is no different in Aus TBH, 80% of dogs over there would be lucky to get past grade 5 (C1) over there and yu would certainly not see them racing for 5k+ races, we just so happen to get the better Aus dogs imported to NZ because it would not be viable for most people to bring over an avg dog

Sairy, so that we can get a better grasp on your posts can you please tell us how many dogs you have imported over the years?