RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
grandad47

Greyhounds are not commodities

11 minutes ago, clarkie said:

The best N.Z. dog I have trained and is on my bed as I write is Call Me Ralph bred by Merv and Ali. O'Brien

And this may sound rude (which im not trying to be) but doesn't his line originate from a bitch imported from Australia?

With the new cost structure being put in place initially by Racing Queensland being $1200 to register a brood bitch and $250 to register a pup, it will cease backyard breeding to a trickle

Once in place in QLD, wont be long until adopted nationally by Greyhounds Australasia (including NZ)

Do the numbers on a litter of say 10 pups to breed and then add in frozen semen, whelping, rearing and break in costs and it will not be viable to breed a litter

In 18 months time,there will be a shortage of dogs bred over that time to fill fields within Aus or NZ

The problem them becomes that there are less females to breed from and it will cause a flow on effect from there with less pups for the next season and so on

12 hours ago, Sairy said:

but how do you put a line in that? Say you buy a dog thats only sprinted in Aus, but can probably run 600+? Stupid rules... You only need to go and have a look at whos making and winning group one races to see whats happening. There was only one NZ bred dog in the NZ cup and 2 in the railway last sunday, what a joke... and those NZ bred dogs are racing for $1000. Why not scrap graduation series? you are rewarding dogs that struggle to break 31.00 at Wanganui, 26.50 at palmy, and 31.00 at auckland, why reward rubbish like that? Like I said before, limit the breeding in NZ, put restrictions on how many litters each dog can have and the performances there first litters have. no matter how you look at it, 90% of NZ bred dogs are rubbish, go look at a wednesday meeting at wanganui, friday at Christchurch and the number of low grade dogs that are NZ bred. That is the first thing that must end in NZ as people arent going to be attracted to punting on rubbish dogs like them

You are no doubt an Australian, one of those thinking they can import dogs into NZ, rip off the prize money on a one way ticket back to Aus. Contribute nothing to the game, but just take. But before you can claim the whole cake, you need to destroy local breeding. Me, i stand for lifting our breeding, keeping all the associated employment opportunities in NZ,and keeping as much of the prizemoney here in NZ to be reinvested.

You talk rubbish when you put down NZ bred dogs. You are obviously talking with a selfish motive, only interested in your own operation and where you sit. Destroying the local breeding scene all part of your agenda.

NZ breeds dogs that could win anywhere in the world. Clone Your Own, Thrilling Brat, Above All, Shandell, spring to mind. The NZRS races have been very instrumental in improving our breeding, these need to be increased, not only in number, but also in value. Sprinters need to be reduced in prizemoney by 50%, this could be done gradually over 5 yrs at 10% per year, the money diverted to increasing middle and distance prizemoney. This along with taxing the imports, and maybe reducing race dates would see quality return over time. With quality you will begin to get growth back in the sport, as this will get a new and better breed of punter.

Now lets here your vision for NZ Greyhound racing.

12 hours ago, Sairy said:

And this may sound rude (which im not trying to be) but doesn't his line originate from a bitch imported from Australia?

And this may sound rude [ which im trying to be ] but doesn't his line originate from England, and Ireland.

15 minutes ago, aquaman said:

You are no doubt an Australian, one of those thinking they can import dogs into NZ, rip off the prize money on a one way ticket back to Aus. Contribute nothing to the game, but just take. But before you can claim the whole cake, you need to destroy local breeding. Me, i stand for lifting our breeding, keeping all the associated employment opportunities in NZ,and keeping as much of the prizemoney here in NZ to be reinvested.

You talk rubbish when you put down NZ bred dogs. You are obviously talking with a selfish motive, only interested in your own operation and where you sit. Destroying the local breeding scene all part of your agenda.

NZ breeds dogs that could win anywhere in the world. Clone Your Own, Thrilling Brat, Above All, Shandell, spring to mind. The NZRS races have been very instrumental in improving our breeding, these need to be increased, not only in number, but also in value. Sprinters need to be reduced in prizemoney by 50%, this could be done gradually over 5 yrs at 10% per year, the money diverted to increasing middle and distance prizemoney. This along with taxing the imports, and maybe reducing race dates would see quality return over time. With quality you will begin to get growth back in the sport, as this will get a new and better breed of punter.

Aren't three of those dogs Australian bred dogs born inNZ within two generations ago? Thrilling brat, above all and CYO certainly are... Without imports, chances are those three dogs would never have come from NZ

Irish dogs are also imports if you must know. Good way to kill breeding in NZ. 

51 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Wake up mate, without imports NZ greyhound racing wouldn't be running for the stake money it currently is, turnover would be less than half of what it currently is, and you would struggle to get anyone interested in punting your typical low grade Wednesday or Friday meeting. How boring would it be without having the likes of Vikkers, D.C, Swift Fantasy, Little Mother ETC ETC running on our tracks, the publicity Swift Fantasy generated in NZ was far greater than the 4 dogs you named for your argument.

What I'm suggesting is that we should breed for quality over quantity, and with the amount of rubbish being breed right now, we need some way to control and regulate that, at least you know most Australian imports are going to be quality dogs that will compete in the big races as NZ breeding lacks the depth of quality that AUS has. You can criticise me how ever you want, but I get so furious when you see a c0race full of kiwi breeds on a wed at Wanganui where the winners running 31.50, and you can't even argue the tracks slow because when any decent dogs go around on a Wednesday, they run a bit of time

4 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

Wake up mate, without imports NZ greyhound racing wouldn't be running for the stake money it currently is, turnover would be less than half of what it currently is, and you would struggle to get anyone interested in punting your typical low grade Wednesday or Friday meeting. How boring would it be without having the likes of Vikkers, D.C, Swift Fantasy, Little Mother ETC ETC running on our tracks, the publicity Swift Fantasy generated in NZ was far greater than the 4 dogs you named for your argument.

Wake up mate, it would be fabulous.

2 minutes ago, Sairy said:

What I'm suggesting is that we should breed for quality over quantity, and with the amount of rubbish being breed right now, we need some way to control and regulate that, at least you know most Australian imports are going to be quality dogs that will compete in the big races as NZ breeding lacks the depth of quality that AUS has. You can criticise me how ever you want, but I get so furious when you see a c0/race full of kiwi breeds on a wed at Wanganui running a 31.50

Its a darn sight better than a field of imports running over 300 at Wanganui. Yawn. I'v given you the blue print for lifting the quality of racing in NZ, now lets here yours.

Just now, aquaman said:

Wake up mate, it would be fabulous.

So you wouldn't mind running for a $800 stake for a C5 race and 400 for a C1? 20k stake for the NZ cup? Turnover would plummet if you stopped the Aus imports racing in NZ, and the quality of our racing would be diabolical to say the least. You could say goodbye to C5 racing as well, good luck trying to get 8 C5 NZ bred dogs running in a particular distance at a particular region. Maybe you could list all the c4/5 NZ bred middle distance dogs to see what our 'elite' racing would look like? Would be rather interested in how many you can. 

4 minutes ago, Sairy said:

I am primarily a punter as well. Been following the dogs for years now, just so you know I'm not talking from my pocket

I'm a breeder, rearer, trainer, punter. Have 30 yrs history in the sport, and i'm an avid supporter of NZ.

3 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

So you wouldn't mind running for a $800 stake for a C5 race and 400 for a C1? 20k stake for the NZ cup? Turnover would plummet if you stopped the Aus imports racing in NZ, and the quality of our racing would be diabolical to say the least. You could say goodbye to C5 racing as well, good luck trying to get 8 C5 NZ bred dogs running in a particular distance at a particular region. Maybe you could list all the c4/5 NZ bred middle distance dogs to see what our 'elite' racing would look like? Would be rather interested in how many you can. 

You do not know your history. Greyhounds had far bigger turnovers 25 yrs ago long before imports or co mingling. And you are talking rot in the belief that we need imports to sustain turnover. Stars are stars where ever they are born.

5 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Its a darn sight better than a field of imports running over 300 at Wanganui. Yawn. I'v given you the blue print for lifting the quality of racing in NZ, now lets here yours.

Lol. Last time I looked, the c1 300m races on a wed there were full of c1 dogs that can't break 18.00 and most of them are bred in nz you will find most low grade sprinters are nz bred dogs 

Just now, aquaman said:

You do not know your history. Greyhounds had far bigger turnovers 25 yrs ago long before imports or co mingling. And you are talking rot in the belief that we need imports to sustain turnover. Stars are stars where ever they are born.

It's a different world now, times have changed, people have many many other things to spend their 'entertainment' money on than the 'golden era' of 25 years ago like you talk about... It's time to smell the roses aquaman, the younger generation doesn't give a toss about greyhound racing in NZ, well 99.9% of them. The industry has never had a worse reputation in the 'general media' and by banning all Aus bred dogs you will put an end to running for decent money in NZ. The imports and turnover work hand in hand, do you honestly think Aus are going to show our racing if we ban imports? Get real, they would remove it so quickly, and as you should be aware as it's mentioned more than enough on here they bet on our racing more than kiwis bet on our racing... 

Also try having a browse thru all these 'feature race' winners Aqua and tell me NZ greyhound racing is better off without imports.... YAWN.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/group-and-feature-races.aspx

10 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

Incidentally, i didn't say stop imports, i did say tax the hell out of them, and put it towards bettering NZ breeding.

21 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Go take a look at what was winning all of the big races post 1990, I'd think you'd see a reoccurring pattern of AUS dogs winning all of the big feature races in the golden years aswel

13 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Without looking into the numbers, you would have to say the majority of dogs that come from across the ditch now have issues, you only have to see the stipe report every week to see the amount of dogs requalifying.

Whether it be fighters, non-chasers, or dogs who aren't dedicated chasers who pull up before the catching pen, the vast majority are here on a one-way trip and see N.Z as a last chance saloon.

A lot can turn there form around, yes, but not all of them.

The only reason they are here is because of our finish-on lure, and with talks in Australia being that a few tracks are wanting to try it the trainers here who rely solely on imports could be in a bit of trouble if the constant stream of dogs coming over dries up.

There are always going to be slow dogs, whether it be at Wanganui or Christchurch on a low grade day, there are just as many, if not more slow dogs racing in Australia for $500-800 every day, it's just that we don't get to see them.

I for one applaud the people who breed, rear and train their own dogs, it is a lot more expensive to do so than to fly in a fighter from Australia and hope for the best, and there is a hell of a lot more satisfaction winning races knowing you have had them from day dot.

There will always be a place for imports, yes, but we shouldn't be actively encouraging them to come over, and a higher import fee is a good place to start (nothing too ridiculous), if the owners have enough faith in the dog to bring them over in the first place then it shouldn't be an issue, this money should be put either into re-homing programmes or NZRS races to encourage the participants to 'keep it kiwi' as it were.

you are good at contradicting yourself, I thought you were against sprint racing and that Aus dogs were all sprinters XD, yet Kiwi dogs seem to out number the aus dogs in sprint races clearly, there have also only been 2 500m races with one aus winner...

19 hours ago, Sairy said:

Mind my memory but wasnt ninas girl a pretty bad non chaser herself? 

Fekitoa, winner today in 30.31 NZ bred out of the non chaser, your words, Ninas Girl, whom in all likely hood will be broad of the year. Can't wait for race 11.