RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
grandad47

Greyhounds are not commodities

Over racing and over breeding of greyhounds has got to stop.      Unfortunately  it will not or cannot because the industry has a culture of non enforcement of and non compliance with the rules and also refuses to take the lead due to competitive and commercial reasons.     There needs to be some serious negotiation with the TAB to help address the problem with over racing.     Another even bigger problem is the rehoming of greyhounds.      I acknowledge that some efforts have been made in this area but it is now apparent that there is a systemic failure in the system and the industry is only papering over the cracks.      As an interim measure,   I propose an immediate  temporary freeze on the importation of greyhounds until there is a sustainable policy in place to address the problem.     Surely in our industry this must be a top priority to reduce the euthanasia of so many young dogs (missing from the system?).      Australia ignored the welfare of greyhounds and we cannot afford the same bad publicity.  Over there a failure of Boards to act resulted in prosecutions and in some places imprisonment.    A word of warning - social media can get out of control quickly.     As a breeder/owner/sponsor/syndicate manager, I urge GRNZ to show some decisive leadership.    We owe it to the dogs as they are not a commodity that you destroy when no longer required.   (A copy of this was sent to GRNZ yesterday - so far no response).    Ray Amer

Over racing and over breeding of greyhounds has got to stop.      Unfortunately  it will not or cannot because the industry has a culture of non enforcement of and non compliance with the rules and also refuses to take the lead due to competitive and commercial reasons.     There needs to be some serious negotiation with the TAB to help address the problem with over racing.     Another even bigger problem is the rehoming of greyhounds.      I acknowledge that some efforts have been made in this area but it is now apparent that there is a systemic failure in the system and the industry is only papering over the cracks.      As an interim measure,   I propose an immediate  temporary freeze on the importation of greyhounds until there is a sustainable policy in place to address the problem.     Surely in our industry this must be a top priority to reduce the euthanasia of so many young dogs (missing from the system?).      Australia ignored the welfare of greyhounds and we cannot afford the same bad publicity.  Over there a failure of Boards to act resulted in prosecutions and in some places imprisonment.    A word of warning - social media can get out of control quickly.     As a breeder/owner/sponsor/syndicate manager, I urge GRNZ to show some decisive leadership.    We owe it to the dogs as they are not a commodity that you destroy when no longer required.   (A copy of this was sent to GRNZ yesterday - so far no response).    Ray Amer

I suggest people stop using rubbish dogs as brood bitch's, Imports are fine as 90% of the time, quality dogs are coming into NZ. The issue here is that people breed with dogs that should not be used as brood bitch's and that is a reasonable place to start with controling the K9 population in NZ.

just go have a look at that rubbish meeting at Wanganui today, only 15 Aus dogs out of 15 c1 races (and most of the kiwi breed dogs in are not even worth racing). Compare that to a Thursday night meeting at Addington where there are 30+ aus dogs racing, its safe to say imported dogs are not the issues, its the locally breed dogs. You only have to look at the majority of group races and who makes the finals to see that. Get rid of the bad quality dogs first instead of impeding on the good quality dogs coming from Aus because I know most punters would prefer quality racing, not another boring 15 C1 races

(You would fine most young dogs that are euthanized would be pups, which suggest they would have been breed in NZ, not imported)

I find some of your comments extremely short sighted. Why should all trainers be penalised in importing dogs from Australia if they are doing something with their retired greyhounds? Some of the trainers who regularly import dogs from Australia are also the ones who ensure their dogs find homes after racing.

GRNZ should make trainers more accountable such as requesting a reporting like system of their dogs going in and out of their kennels and where they are going etc. I can see that this sort of report would quickly identify who is doing what with their dogs. Maybe those who consistently do not appear to do something more than just euthanize their dogs could be banned from importing/breeding for a period time like you state. GRNZ would also probably need some sort of penalty system if trainers were seen to be fudging their reporting and/or not submitting their reports in a timely matter. There would also probably need to be some sort of collaboration with vets as they would often be the first to see pups from NZ breed litters to ensure puppies are not disappearing under the radar also.

Of course this type of reporting would require effort from GRNZ

2 hours ago, grandad47 said:

I am not surprised you haven't had a reply. Still waiting for mine from the welfare manager 6 mths ago. I suggested implementing a kind of ACC for  all dogs that put their bodies on the line every time they step out on a race track at a totalisator meeting.  So... when for  whatever reason they get injured and it is fixable they get rehabilitated. Take the petrol voucher money to do it. You will end up stopping them anyway at some point. It would be a tangible way of showing the public that we take responsibility for these poor forgotten animals. 

7 minutes ago, 1234 said:

I find some of your comments extremely short sighted. Why should all trainers be penalised in importing dogs from Australia if they are doing something with their retired greyhounds? Some of the trainers who regularly import dogs from Australia are also the ones who ensure their dogs find homes after racing.

GRNZ should make trainers more accountable such as requesting a reporting like system of their dogs going in and out of their kennels and where they are going etc. I can see that this sort of report would quickly identify who is doing what with their dogs. Maybe those who consistently do not appear to do something more than just euthanize their dogs could be banned from importing/breeding for a period time like you state. GRNZ would also probably need some sort of penalty system if trainers were seen to be fudging their reporting and/or not submitting their reports in a timely matter. There would also probably need to be some sort of collaboration with vets as they would often be the first to see pups from NZ breed litters to ensure puppies are not disappearing under the radar also.

Im sure people would stop putting their dogs down if the penalty was higher than the gap fee.

11 minutes ago, Cantab52 said:

I am not surprised you haven't had a reply. Still waiting for mine from the welfare manager 6 mths ago. I suggested implementing a kind of ACC for  all dogs that put their bodies on the line every time they step out on a race track at a totalisator meeting.  So... when for  whatever reason they get injured and it is fixable they get rehabilitated. Take the petrol voucher money to do it. You will end up stopping them anyway at some point. It would be a tangible way of showing the public that we take responsibility for these poor forgotten animals. 

Trainers should save there dogs if they are savable (Im sure there is the odd injury that is beyond repair), I say get an X-Ray machine at every track, find out the severity of an injury such as a broken hock straight away instead of putting the dog down for something that is fixable

1 hour ago, Sairy said:

Trainers should save there dogs if they are savable (Im sure there is the odd injury that is beyond repair), I say get an X-Ray machine at every track, find out the severity of an injury such as a broken hock straight away instead of putting the dog down for something that is fixable

You are right they should. But the majority.dont that is the problem. I have had my.share of broken hocks and have had all fixed except one that was shattered. They are all sound happy dogs now.

5 hours ago, grandad47 said:

Ray have you ever imported or trained a greyhound? One of your current trainers races your dogs more than once a week is this over racing ? As a breeder yourself a freeze on imports will help you just fine yes ? You have bred from a bitch that throws dogs that don't chase 100% and continue doing so people in glass houses.i do see where you are coming from but this is not the answer.

3 hours ago, Sairy said:

Not all injured dogs can be saved Sairy. We had a beautiful black boy that was called "Hurdy Gurdy Man" a couple of years ago. He snapped his olecrans (elbow) joint right off on his first start at Wanganui. There was not a chance in heck that he could be saved. He died before the vet could put him down, so an X-ray machine at every track may not be a good idea.

5 hours ago, Sairy said:

I suggest people stop using rubbish dogs as brood bitch's, Imports are fine as 90% of the time, quality dogs are coming into NZ. The issue here is that people breed with dogs that should not be used as brood bitch's and that is a reasonable place to start with controling the K9 population in NZ.

just go have a look at that rubbish meeting at Wanganui today, only 15 Aus dogs out of 15 c1 races (and most of the kiwi breed dogs in are not even worth racing). Compare that to a Thursday night meeting at Addington where there are 30+ aus dogs racing, its safe to say imported dogs are not the issues, its the locally breed dogs. You only have to look at the majority of group races and who makes the finals to see that. Get rid of the bad quality dogs first instead of impeding on the good quality dogs coming from Aus because I know most punters would prefer quality racing, not another boring 15 C1 races

(You would fine most young dogs that are euthanized would be pups, which suggest they would have been breed in NZ, not imported)

Yes Sairy, the breeding of greyhounds in NZ is badly in need of an overhaul.     I have no wish to deny anybody the joy of breeding a litter of pups.    We just need some genetic basics to help make the right decisions.    There are world renowned genetic advisors in New Zealand but of course it would be a complex study that would require funds.       I suggest GRNZ get out of importing frozen semen as it is not a core business.    The funds then freed could be used to educate breeders.     Remember that without them, and the punters of course, there is no industry.     As for the imported greyhounds - the $500 fee is a joke.     Until a realistic fee is imposed they should be repatriated, no exceptions full stop.    And before some of you with vested interests get excited, come up with a realistic idea to solve the fundamental flow of supply and demand.   Ray Amer

3 hours ago, 1234 said:

I am sorry you find my post extremely short-sighted.     You obviously do not understand my concerns.    Nobody should be offended,   I have no wish to isolate any stakeholder in the industry.     My post concerns sustainability ie greyhounds bred, raced and then rehomed.     In some sectors this needs attention immediately.    Since the welfare code was adopted in June 2013 hundreds of these innocent animals have "gone missing".      My problem with importing more to "go missing" might not worry you but I assure you it does worry the majority in the industry.     As I don't wish, at this stage, for this debate to go outside the industry,  I suggest you trace the number of imports rehoused - my figures suggest they are probably no guide because of a systemic failure to account for them.    Ray Amer

1 hour ago, I know said:

Ray have you ever imported or trained a greyhound? One of your current trainers races your dogs more than once a week is this over racing ? As a breeder yourself a freeze on imports will help you just fine yes ? You have bred from a bitch that throws dogs that don't chase 100% and continue doing so people in glass houses.i do see where you are coming from but this is not the answer.

In answer to your question about over racing - no it is not.     None of my dogs have raced 3 times in 7 days to my knowledge.     This is permissible under present rules.  Yes I have imported greyhounds.     From a breeding perspective I have no wish to continue breeding  greyhounds to be destroyed.     For your information,  I have left Nina's Girl (Silver Collar winner and currently top New Zealand bred bitch in perfect health) empty after three litters.    Perhaps you can enlighten me which of my bitches throws dogs that don't chase.    Taking pot shots at me personally without releasing your name does  not address the issue under discussion.      For those interested, George Kerr has replied to my email and if I get his permission I shall post it on this forum.   Ray Amer

Ray, I think the part that you have wrong is the imports. The rehoming issue is  very local and by big players possibly stretching as far as board level are involved in ownership of dogs not being rehomed. We have a Welfare Officer that is out of his depth and for some reason hasn't the testosterone to handle the problem that is no rocket science. For example some of the numbers  boys have more youngsters on the ground right now than G.A.P pride themselves on targeting in a year for rehoming.. You keep on breeding Grandad and breed a couple of dogs that will take out the majority of the Group stakes in a year. Then sit back in your wheelchair with a smile I'll even push you around to watch and receive the accolades.....

1 hour ago, grandad47 said:

In answer to your question about over racing - no it is not.     None of my dogs have raced 3 times in 7 days to my knowledge.     This is permissible under present rules.  Yes I have imported greyhounds.     From a breeding perspective I have no wish to continue breeding  greyhounds to be destroyed.     For your information,  I have left Nina's Girl (Silver Collar winner and currently top New Zealand bred bitch in perfect health) empty after three litters.    Perhaps you can enlighten me which of my bitches throws dogs that don't chase.    Taking pot shots at me personally without releasing your name does  not address the issue under discussion.      For those interested, George Kerr has replied to my email and if I get his permission I shall post it on this forum.   Ray Amer

Mind my memory but wasnt ninas girl a pretty bad non chaser herself? 

Yes Sairy, the breeding of greyhounds in NZ is badly in need of an overhaul.     I have no wish to deny anybody the joy of breeding a litter of pups.    We just need some genetic basics to help make the right decisions.    There are world renowned genetic advisors in New Zealand but of course it would be a complex study that would require funds.       I suggest GRNZ get out of importing frozen semen as it is not a core business.    The funds then freed could be used to educate breeders.     Remember that without them, and the punters of course, there is no industry.     As for the imported greyhounds - the $500 fee is a joke.     Until a realistic fee is imposed they should be repatriated, no exceptions full stop.    And before some of you with vested interests get excited, come up with a realistic idea to solve the fundamental flow of supply and demand.   Ray Amer

Well I think the $50 fee per pup breed is a joke. You hurt the importation of Aus dogs and you hurt the industry... There is no industry if the breeders continue to breed at the rate they are in the moment. If you are breeding good dogs, than fine but when you are breeding rubbish (like 90% of nz bred dogs), you are only hurting the industry. Like I said before, most punters would prefer to see a good quality field rather than 15 C1 races

I am sorry you find my post extremely short-sighted.     You obviously do not understand my concerns.    Nobody should be offended,   I have no wish to isolate any stakeholder in the industry.     My post concerns sustainability ie greyhounds bred, raced and then rehomed.     In some sectors this needs attention immediately.    Since the welfare code was adopted in June 2013 hundreds of these innocent animals have "gone missing".      My problem with importing more to "go missing" might not worry you but I assure you it does worry the majority in the industry.     As I don't wish, at this stage, for this debate to go outside the industry,  I suggest you trace the number of imports rehoused - my figures suggest they are probably no guide because of a systemic failure to account for them.    Ray Amer

I do understand your concerns and I suggested a way of potentially identifying who is affecting these statistics. You need to start somewhere with some rough figures. For example in the 2015 Greyhound Awards night Georgia Cole confidently said how many litters they had on the ground - as this was shown on trackside to the public Aaron Cross is going to come back to those statistics in the next year or so asking where all these dogs are.

I agree with you that sustainability is a concern and by the number of dogs Cole is breeding, he is doing more than enough for anyone in the industry alone. I would like to know where their dogs end up.  If you want to freeze Imports then you will need to freeze all breeding in NZ, as I state above, i am sure the number of litters being born far exceed the number of dogs being imported.

6 minutes ago, Sairy said:

Well I think the $50 fee per pup breed is a joke. You hurt the importation of Aus dogs and you hurt the industry... There is no industry if the breeders continue to breed at the rate they are in the moment

Don't make me laugh. Quote, you hurt the importation of Aus dogs and you hurt the industry. This is the joke of the century, utter rubbish. Get rid of the imports i say. All they have done for us is to dumb down the industry with not wanted sprinters, fighters, and non chasers. Look around Sairy, and what do you see. What you see is rubbish fields of dogs that cannot run any further than 300 mtrs slowly. Our racing couldn't get any worse. Its sick and in need of a major shake up before it disappears altogether.

Interest in Greyhound racing must be at an all time low. Live baiting, yes in NZ. Member of our board on charges. Hundreds of dogs going missing every year.Same  dogs lining up Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, its called race till you drop. Sick greedy basta#ds. They would race 7 days a week if they had the dates, all to appease 12 race cards for an out of control TAB, and administrators that couldn't give a toss.

We need to stop feeding our life blood [ punters] a pie cart menu. All we accomplish with this is to attract a pie cart punter. The game needs lifting on all fronts. It cannot be fixed overnight, it will take yrs. We need to get better bred dogs capable of running further than 300 mtrs. The problem has been, and its been happening now for at least 20 yrs, local breeders have been using sprint bitches sent from Australia, and worse non chasing sprinters. This has had a devastating effect on the breed. Now i'm not lumping all breeders in this basket, but by in large the majority. The Hardings, Wales, Amers Cleeves, off this world are doing the right thing, only breeding from quality middle distance stock and reaping the rewards.

Now i know stopping all imports will not happen, so my proposal would be to lift the quality of import way above the open slarther that exists at present. I propose a levy on all imports. $5000 on sprinters, $2000 on middle distance dogs, $1000 on staying dogs, and free for staying bitches. The money collected would be ring fenced to go to NZ bred only races. Over time this would have the effect of improving the stamina and quality of our breeding. There is no quick fix. Its taken 20yrs of mismanagement by our Clubs, and NZGRA to reach this low, it will take yrs to climb out of it if started now.

A human, no matter where they are originally from, needs to meet certain criterias before they are allowed to enter NZ and live their life here.

Why should greyhounds be any different?

A human who has been prosecuted for assault would stand little chance of immigrating, someone with two prosecutions next to no chance &  with three they'd be laughed at.

Greyhounds with one charge for marring overseas are currently welcomed with open arms. Those with two charges are equally as welcome & they even get to complete their sentence within our shores. I've yet to notice an instance of a greyhound arriving here with three charges under its collar, but there's nothing in the rules/policies to say it would be treated any differently.

Shame on the NZ Immigration department. They seem to be treating convicted humans worse than convicted greyhounds. :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Don't make me laugh. Quote, you hurt the importation of Aus dogs and you hurt the industry. This is the joke of the century, utter rubbish. Get rid of the imports i say. All they have done for us is to dumb down the industry with not wanted sprinters, fighters, and non chasers. Look around Sairy, and what do you see. What you see is rubbish fields of dogs that cannot run any further than 300 mtrs slowly. Our racing couldn't get any worse. Its sick and in need of a major shake up before it disappears altogether.

Interest in Greyhound racing must be at an all time low. Live baiting, yes in NZ. Member of our board on charges. Hundreds of dogs going missing every year.Same  dogs lining up Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, its called race till you drop. Sick greedy basta#ds. They would race 7 days a week if they had the dates, all to appease 12 race cards for an out of control TAB, and administrators that couldn't give a toss.

We need to stop feeding our life blood [ punters] a pie cart menu. All we accomplish with this is to attract a pie cart punter. The game needs lifting on all fronts. It cannot be fixed overnight, it will take yrs. We need to get better bred dogs capable of running further than 300 mtrs. The problem has been, and its been happening now for at least 20 yrs, local breeders have been using sprint bitches sent from Australia, and worse non chasing sprinters. This has had a devastating effect on the breed. Now i'm not lumping all breeders in this basket, but by in large the majority. The Hardings, Wales, Amers Cleeves, off this world are doing the right thing, only breeding from quality middle distance stock and reaping the rewards.

Now i know stopping all imports will not happen, so my proposal would be to lift the quality of import way above the open slarther that exists at present. I propose a levy on all imports. $5000 on sprinters, $2000 on middle distance dogs, $1000 on staying dogs, and free for staying bitches. The money collected would be ring fenced to go to NZ bred only races. Over time this would have the effect of improving the stamina and quality of our breeding. There is no quick fix. Its taken 20yrs of mismanagement by our Clubs, and NZGRA to reach this low, it will take yrs to climb out of it if started now.

but how do you put a line in that? Say you buy a dog thats only sprinted in Aus, but can probably run 600+? Stupid rules... You only need to go and have a look at whos making and winning group one races to see whats happening. There was only one NZ bred dog in the NZ cup and 2 in the railway last sunday, what a joke... and those NZ bred dogs are racing for $1000. Why not scrap graduation series? you are rewarding dogs that struggle to break 31.00 at Wanganui, 26.50 at palmy, and 31.00 at auckland, why reward rubbish like that? Like I said before, limit the breeding in NZ, put restrictions on how many litters each dog can have and the performances there first litters have. no matter how you look at it, 90% of NZ bred dogs are rubbish, go look at a wednesday meeting at wanganui, friday at Christchurch and the number of low grade dogs that are NZ bred. That is the first thing that must end in NZ as people arent going to be attracted to punting on rubbish dogs like them

57 minutes ago, 1234 said:

I do understand your concerns and I suggested a way of potentially identifying who is affecting these statistics. You need to start somewhere with some rough figures. For example in the 2015 Greyhound Awards night Georgia Cole confidently said how many litters they had on the ground - as this was shown on trackside to the public Aaron Cross is going to come back to those statistics in the next year or so asking where all these dogs are.

I agree with you that sustainability is a concern and by the number of dogs Cole is breeding, he is doing more than enough for anyone in the industry alone. I would like to know where their dogs end up.  If you want to freeze Imports then you will need to freeze all breeding in NZ, as I state above, i am sure the number of litters being born far exceed the number of dogs being imported.

I found that interesting, especially since in his daughters speech at awards night, they apparently breed 300+ and are planning on expanding 

11 minutes ago, clarkie said:

You have pushed a few buttons  6 Sairy, you have pushed a few buttons for me....I would appreciate you contacting me. I'm preoccupied at the moment lol.. Cheers Clarkie 

•  

im sorry if I have pushed a few buttons clarkie, just giving my own personal opinion and I do not think punishing imported dogs is the way to go. We need restrictions on breeding in NZ and the avg. trainer should be aspiring to breed a better class of dog than your avg. C1 sprinter... You must agree with me on that at the very least especially considering most NZ bred dogs you have had are good C4-5 dogs. It is no different in Aus TBH, 80% of dogs over there would be lucky to get past grade 5 (C1) over there and yu would certainly not see them racing for 5k+ races, we just so happen to get the better Aus dogs imported to NZ because it would not be viable for most people to bring over an avg dog