Sign in to follow this  
starchyknickers

OBESITY.

19 posts in this topic

Is the gross visual look that several handlers are portraying possibly bringing greyhound racing into disrepute? These beautiful  athletic animals are a symbol of sleekness and are restricted by control of there racing weight each time they start. Maybe some help should be offered for some handlers and their appearance be minimised in  the meantime?. The open  comments from the T.A.B. I frequent certainly doesn’t help the sports public perception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

30 minutes ago, starchyknickers said:
Is the gross visual look that several handlers are portraying possibly bringing greyhound racing into disrepute? These beautiful  athletic animals are a symbol of sleekness and are restricted by control of there racing weight each time they start. Maybe some help should be offered for some handlers and their appearance be minimised in  the meantime?. The open  comments from the T.A.B. I frequent certainly doesn’t help the sports public perception.

What a nice first post. :rolleyes:

Is your definition of "gross" the same as everyone elses?

The "visual look" which handlers must adhere to, is clearly defined under GRNZ policy.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/Files/Documents/Policy - Dress Code - Approved 20 Nov 15.pdf

If you see a handler breaching that policy, you have the option to ring 0800 RIU 123 & complain anonymously.

 

Are these animals below beautiful athletic symbols too, or are they bringing the swimming pool industry into disrepute?

CaSDKSpWQAAv6hK.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not think many of them walk their dogs. You are right, not a good look, but NZ society is very much out of step with 90% of the worlds population. They eat badly, they do not exercise, and by in large, they are an ugly people. You only need to look at old crowd photo's, say Addington Cup day circa 1940 and you would be very lucky to find one over weight person. To be quite honest, i mix with a lot of Asians, and find my own race embarrassing. Fat Kiwi women make it worse by covering their obese slug like bodies in tattoo's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow what a sensitive posting and actually so true.. I think this needs to be addressed by our new C.E.O.     Would he let these obese beings front Rugby League like these heavy weights do race after race in prime time.????  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, aquaman said:

I do not think many of them walk their dogs. You are right, not a good look, but NZ society is very much out of step with 90% of the worlds population. They eat badly, they do not exercise, and by in large, they are an ugly people. You only need to look at old crowd photo's, say Addington Cup day circa 1940 and you would be very lucky to find one over weight person. To be quite honest, i mix with a lot of Asians, and find my own race embarrassing. Fat Kiwi women make it worse by covering their obese slug like bodies in tattoo's.

yeah right -there's no fat asians....

index.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My missus has seen your post Starchyknickers & I'd like to thank you for that. 

She could somehow understand where you're coming from & has not only set up a new workout regiment for me so I can become more fit, she has even offered to stand in as a dog (as they're not allowed in the enclosure) while we walk laps around the pool. At first I was using a collar & leash to lead her around the pool, but for some reason that seemed to draw heaps of attention on us. She started to become very jealous when all the other girls started chatting me up asking & if I would walk them around the pool too. I didn't have a problem with that, as I've been working with greyhounds my entire life & fully aware of "pack mentality". However, relatively new in comparison to the greyhound world, she wasn't willing to share her collar with another woman.

 

fat-thin.gif

 

I had a bit of a tough time getting to sleep last night, as my brain was working on overtime...... There must be twenty or thirty collars out in the kennel that I can bring down to the pool for todays workout.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the thread starter. Not only are a fair proportion obese,they also invariably walk with a limp favouring one leg. Belly out to here is not a good look in any sport....except sumo.  If you can't look after yourself,how can you look after a racing dog with all it's requirements? It's an unprofessional look. Surely another handler can be used until Mr Blob measures up? I see some venues have handlers wearing coloured coats etc to match the race number of their charge. Very professional look.

The issue here is not helped either by a "security guard" limping alongside the handlers who looks like he lives by the counter at Valentines. Guy looks like he'd have a heart attack if he had to walk further than the letterbox. What will the guard do if any offender decides to walk away briskly?  "please bad guy,wait for me to catch up". 

Greyhound racing is increasing each year. If you want to sell it to non greyhound people,you need to improve the image. If you had fat Albert on the gate puffing away on his fag with HATE tattooed on his knuckles,you will have sold an image,but is it the image you want to sell? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

My missus has seen your post Starchyknickers & I'd like to thank you for that. 

She could somehow understand where you're coming from & has not only set up a new workout regiment for me so I can become more fit, she has even offered to stand in as a dog (as they're not allowed in the enclosure) while we walk laps around the pool. At first I was using a collar & leash to lead her around the pool, but for some reason that seemed to draw heaps of attention on us. She started to become very jealous when all the other girls started chatting me up asking & if I would walk them around the pool too. I didn't have a problem with that, as I've been working with greyhounds my entire life & fully aware of "pack mentality". However, relatively new in comparison to the greyhound world, she wasn't willing to share her collar with another woman.

 

fat-thin.gif

 

I had a bit of a tough time getting to sleep last night, as my brain was working on overtime...... There must be twenty or thirty collars out in the kennel that I can bring down to the pool for todays workout.

 

I want to know which one is Yankiwi, if its you on the left, you can hold my hand anytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JayTee2016 said:

I agree with the thread starter. Not only are a fair proportion obese,they also invariably walk with a limp favouring one leg. Belly out to here is not a good look in any sport....except sumo.  If you can't look after yourself,how can you look after a racing dog with all it's requirements? It's an unprofessional look. Surely another handler can be used until Mr Blob measures up? I see some venues have handlers wearing coloured coats etc to match the race number of their charge. Very professional look.

The issue here is not helped either by a "security guard" limping alongside the handlers who looks like he lives by the counter at Valentines. Guy looks like he'd have a heart attack if he had to walk further than the letterbox. What will the guard do if any offender decides to walk away briskly?  "please bad guy,wait for me to catch up". 

Greyhound racing is increasing each year. If you want to sell it to non greyhound people,you need to improve the image. If you had fat Albert on the gate puffing away on his fag with HATE tattooed on his knuckles,you will have sold an image,but is it the image you want to sell? 

I agree it's not a good look and I still havn't been able to get the 'Brown eye' from Xmas eve meeting completely out of my mind lol. 

BUT I think any 'weight restriction' implemented for handlers would be thrown out in court immediately. They have as much right to be there as anyone, next thing you know they won't let any fat people work at KFC or McDonalds, where does it stop? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

My missus has seen your post Starchyknickers & I'd like to thank you for that. 

She could somehow understand where you're coming from & has not only set up a new workout regiment for me so I can become more fit, she has even offered to stand in as a dog (as they're not allowed in the enclosure) while we walk laps around the pool. At first I was using a collar & leash to lead her around the pool, but for some reason that seemed to draw heaps of attention on us. She started to become very jealous when all the other girls started chatting me up asking & if I would walk them around the pool too. I didn't have a problem with that, as I've been working with greyhounds my entire life & fully aware of "pack mentality". However, relatively new in comparison to the greyhound world, she wasn't willing to share her collar with another woman.

 

fat-thin.gif

 

I had a bit of a tough time getting to sleep last night, as my brain was working on overtime...... There must be twenty or thirty collars out in the kennel that I can bring down to the pool for todays workout.

 

Glad you didn't show the front view of the individual to the left of fat Albert. It's actually Caitlyn Jenner.  I need a bucket quickly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GONSTA said:

I agree it's not a good look and I still havn't been able to get the 'Brown eye' from Xmas eve meeting completely out of my mind lol. 

BUT I think any 'weight restriction' implemented for handlers would be thrown out in court immediately. They have as much right to be there as anyone, next thing you know they won't let any fat people work at KFC or McDonalds, where does it stop? 

I see what you mean with the KFC comparison GONSTA but would an advertising agency use fat Albert in a KFC TV advertising campaign? They probably should as that would be a fair representation but they would never do so as it sends out all the wrong messages. Same with Coco Cola advertising. They routinely show lots of young trim people jumping around at the beach but when you look at the amount of sugar in Coke a more accurate reflection would be fat Albert eating KFC and drinking coke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree in regards to our code looking a bit like a highweight event at times, but you cannot make people look a certain way, if people choose not to look after themselves and live a healthy lifestyle that is their choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this