RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest 2Admin2

Strong Benchmark R85 this weekend - called the Auckland Cup

Guest 2Admin2

Not many Grp 1 standard horses in the Auckland Cup.  

Guest 2Admin2
52 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Yes, certainly no stronger than the Wgtn Cup and NZ Cup fields. Probably should all be group twos. Although having said that we probably have no more than a handfull of races that can really justify being Group One.

Yep but we sure know how to pay 5 star Grp 1 stakes.

16 minutes ago, berzerk said:

Seems to have been high attrition this year with Jimmy Mac, Ponderosa Miss, Vavasour, Farm Boy all going amiss recently....wont even be a full field.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that with multiple 2 mile preps in one season the risks in the Autumn are quite high. Just weary bones and careless steps. Particularly noticeable when Melbourne Cup performers step out in the Autumn.

Guest 2Admin2
2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Yes, certainly no stronger than the Wgtn Cup and NZ Cup fields. Probably should all be group twos. Although having said that we probably have no more than a handfull of races that can really justify being Group One.

Yep but we sure know how to pay 5 star Grp 1 stakes.

17 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

One thing I've noticed over the years is that with multiple 2 mile preps in one season the risks in the Autumn are quite high. Just weary bones and careless steps. Particularly noticeable when Melbourne Cup performers step out in the Autumn.

Which would suggest that there should be very few Grp1 two mile races.

You do realise that the Auckland Cup was downgraded last year BUT the decision was overturned on appeal!

I don't ever recall one of the Graded Stakes Committees' (or whatever name they have nowadays) having even one of their decisions successfully appealed against before. 

This year the Cup is a goner for sure, unless the ARC have another ace up their sleeve!

Given the noms for the NZ Stakes that's their next problem and where I would be putting all their energies!

59 minutes ago, hesi said:

If VSB had done better in Aus, things would be looking even grimmer.

I'm surprised some of the 3 year olds that ran reasonable races in the Derby, have not thrown their hat in the ring.

I suppose they will be ringing around..

Tavago, Raghu even Zacada who is nominated for the 2100m race, would all stand a chance.

Nothing much else around for them, so why not, they are not good enough to go to Aus

Very sensible. We saw at Te Rapa that the 3yos have every chance against our current WFA stocks.

Guest 2Admin2
1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

I think you will find we have only the one

I meant globally.

44 minutes ago, hesi said:

I thought this race was mean't to be one of our 3 premier 2000m WFA races

This is probably the old Air NZ Stakes, hard to tell they way this and the Zabeel have been shuffled around, certainly nothing of the class of Bonecrusher or La Mer these days. And speaking of Bonecrusher, I see he is sponsoring the race. Seems a bit strange, does it just mean they have no corporate sponsor and they just grab a random name, like some of our other group one races?

I have looked at the ratings and framed the Auckland Cup handicap.

Benzini 60, Decorah 57.5, King Kamada 56.5, Sampson 56, El Pistola, Sacred Master, Mr Impatience, Pentathlon 55.5, Guarantor 55, Show The World 54.5, Storming The Tower, Bel Sorriso, Rose Of Virginia 53.5, Cheeky Boy, Smedley, Apache Fire, El Soldado 52.

Pick what you can from all that.

On ‎8‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 9:33 AM, hesi said:

The madness continues.

Now we have a totally out of form, R58 , 9 year old horse that hasn't won a race in 14 months join the fray, what a joke.  Are there no rules for getting into these top races.  In all likelihood the horse will be retreating half way through the race, causing potential interference to better performed horses

I thought this race was mean't to be one of our 3 premier 2000m WFA races

hesi, did you back the $125 winner??

On 3/8/2016 at 7:43 PM, Insider said:

You do realise that the Auckland Cup was downgraded last year BUT the decision was overturned on appeal!

I don't ever recall one of the Graded Stakes Committees' (or whatever name they have nowadays) having even one of their decisions successfully appealed against before. 

This year the Cup is a goner for sure, unless the ARC have another ace up their sleeve!

Given the noms for the NZ Stakes that's their next problem and where I would be putting all their energies!

And now won by a 9yo R78 horse. Downgrade for certain now one would think.

Great move to place the Cup in March......not!   

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 4:33 AM, hesi said:

The madness continues.

Now we have a totally out of form, R58 , 9 year old horse that hasn't won a race in 14 months join the fray, what a joke.  Are there no rules for getting into these top races.  In all likelihood the horse will be retreating half way through the race, causing potential interference to better performed horses

:o Good on you Hesi.

I hope you had  a $ on it .

As for retreating, the others couldn't even keep up. :D

4 minutes ago, The Crucible said:

January or March - wouldn't have made much difference - all of our two mile races have been rubbish.

You would have had Jimmy Mac R94, Farm Boy R97, Vavasour R97 and Pondarosa Miss R97 for starters. The club would have been wishing they were in today that's for sure. 

Congratulations to Phillip, Brett and his wife Christine who have shown so much faith in their horse. While I may be speaking through my pocket having backed him again today his form in this race is very good and he didn't deserve to be labelled the worst in the race.

His run for second to Sangster in his first attempt was huge and last year he was in front with 100m to go before weakening to finish a very good fifth. He is a true roll along stayer that had been ridden very poorly in a number of his races by jockeys looking for a riding fee and little else. He hates being on the fence and must be given a chance to make it a staying test as he has no sprint. Ridden perfectly today and the rest is history - well done old fella!!!

Backed Sacred Master but  walked in and said to my better half,  I'd go for # 12 on looks rather than horse I had . Went and got the book, saw what I'd picked out on looks  and thought I'd lost the plot.  No, couldn't back it at any price.