RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
come on ref

over raced dogs

There will always be bias on display with Race Cafe inputs. 

Billy the kid rode Veandercross in the 1992 Caulfield Cup. He went 15 wide and got beaten a lip by Mannerisim. Many good judges felt it was a contender for worst ever ride in a Group One.

Mrs Dye felt it was an excellent ride. Who was right?

I've seen riders / drivers misjudge the number of rounds when they race clear at the winning post only to discover there is still a round to go. Their supporters will still bag people as armchair experts if they dare to critique the ride / drive etc.

Sometimes it can be very helpful for someone "who knows" the stable / kennel etc to give a perspective that helps clarify but it can also be tits on a bull...

20 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

It gets even worse, Homebush Flame had its first start today at 14 months old, it is racing again on Thursday, and just for good measure is in again the following day.

That is 3 races in 5 days for a 14 month old dog, this isn't just wrong it is sick.

The time has come we need to bring in the rule like they are bringing in in Victoria where a dog is not allowed to race day to day.

Where is our so called 'welfare' officer, I don't care what anyone says, racing a dog that young so often IS a welfare issue and he needs to get off his ass and do something about it!

My heart will be in my mouth when i watch this dog race Thursday and Friday, go's against everything i believe.

11 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Well you can watch her yet again next Tuesday at Forbury, if she isn't well and truely stuffed by Friday, then her 4th run in a week should finish her off.

Really sad for Greyhound racing that our parent body is unable to stop situations that are so wrong on many levels. This type of exploitation of animals is not a good look and will ultimately drag us down and out of business.

Aquaman, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a remit or two already submitted for vote at the AGM, only to be voted down by the clubs?

If that's the case, then it would take a unanimous vote of the board to amend the rule.

Has this vote been called for at board level?

Regardless, isn't a unanimous vote an impossibility currently, as one member has/is temporarily stood down & due to be facing charges before the JCA?

I've said it before & will say it again. When an industry is run by its participants, then most, if not all decisions made will have a self serving purpose involved in it somewhere. It is highly likely that the industry will never be able to move forward with any momentum under the current scheme. Remember that study that was reported, sponsored by the CGRC as I recall? That consulting firm was on to it.

1 hour ago, I know said:

Aquaman and others I'm sure, did you ever race your dogs in heats then finals on the same day ? A yes or no is fine by me. 

30+ years ago maybe we did, but women also never used to be able to vote, and blacks had to drink from seperate fountains from whites, times have changed and to try and compare what happens now from way back then is drawing a very long bow.

6 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

30+ years ago maybe we did, but women also never used to be able to vote, and blacks had to drink from seperate fountains from whites, times have changed and to try and compare what happens now from way back then is drawing a very long bow.

And I'm sure those dogs that raced twice in one day wern't 14 months old, paddock reared with a couple of weeks getting broken in, and didn't repeat that procedure 2 days later. I'm surprised they didn't give Homebush Flame a run at Wanganui yesterday!! McInerney is one of the biggest dangers to greyhound racing being shut down before 2020 IMO. His attitude towards mass breeding, racing etc is disgusting and completely out of line in this modern era where social media has so much power.

The problem in our sport is that it is possible to run an animal many times a week every week. The other codes do not have that problem because the animals would not be able to stand up to it. The same could be said of a 14 month old animal in our code but Steve said earlier it is the trainer and owners choice.

I was one that wanted the rule  altered  so dogs were limited to the number of starts in a week at the last AGM  but could not even convince my local club to vote for it. It makes sense as apart from the welfare point of view we have the backlog of dogs particularly in c1 and our  answer to that has been to put on more class one races. What was needed was abolish the two class one wins and limit the amounts of starts per week to two or maybe even one. This would have fixed the welfare issue and the backlog at the same time. With the extra meetings and no limit to how they are used it has made both problems worse.

Yankiwi (who IMHO ) is the most logical poster on this forum hits the nail on the head when he says our worries will always be here with our current system. Ask the trainers if a rule should be altered and they will vote for what is best for them personally ( $ ) not what is best for the industry. 

Disclaimer; We have won three races in a week with the same dog on more than one occasion and I remember winning 5 class one races with one bitch but not sure of the time frame. These occurred many years ago, they were over 2 years old and the bitch immediately got a 4 week rest..

1 hour ago, GONSTA said:

Pretty much the same thing with Holly Blue Blood...

Completely fictional advertisement follows~

Greyhound for sale

"Holy Tired Legs"

15 months old bitch.

Winner of 4 maiden sprints

Winner of 5 C1 sprints

Winner of 3 C2 sprint

Currently in the middle of a 3 day rest spell (traveling between islands).

A recap so far.

Holly Blue Blood 15 months old won on Tuesday, placed 3rd tonight and is racing tomorrow then again on Tuesday.

Homebush Flame 14 months old 5th on Tuesday, second last today and is racing tomorrow and again on Tuesday.

Botany Vikki 15 months old 4th on Tuesday, tailed off tonight and is racing tomorrow, then again on Tuesday.

Homebush Fitzroy 14 months old, raced Tuesday, was over 520m tonight and tailed off last but he gets the day off tomorrow to prepare for Tuesdays race.

It appears that someone with more weight than us as RaceCafe posters have their concerns over this issue as well.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/12084/stewards-report.aspx

Due to being entered for races tomorrow HOLLY BLUE BLOOD (2), HOMEBUSH FLAME and BOTANY VIKKI were all referred to the vet for assessment and cleared of any abnormalities. 

So while the excessive racing is considered legal under the current rules, it appears as though the officials are doing their best, by using what tools they currently have available to them, to look after these youngsters. It's as good as they can do until the minimum age rule is changed to 16 months, as I believe is should be, and a new rule to prevent excessive racing is put into place.

One tool I do have (and most others) to make an immediate stance, is to refrain for placing any wagers in race/races these three youngsters are competing in today. It's a tool I will be utilizing & I encourage any other concerned individuals to make the same commitment as individuals. After the race/races have been run, I'll be no better/worse off monetarily than I was before them, but at least it will have some form of an effect, which will speak much louder than any words I can type.

Along with the dogs not being physically ready, but what McInerney is doing is mentally thrashing his pups as well. Going to the race track 3 times in 72 hours for such a young immature dog cannot be doing them any good. I look forward to revisiting this thread in 6-12 months and seeing how these dogs have fared. 

I'm 1000% positive you would never see a patient trainer like Ray Adcock ever exploiting his young pups like this ever. A rule change is needed immediately because it seems $$ is far more important than animal welfare for some people. 

In life I've found that the squeaky gear usually is the one that gets the oil.

I've also found it's best to strike when the kettle is hot.

If any concerns of above Racecafer posters are genuine, as mine are (other than the fake advertisement I've posted to try to make a point), then there are a couple of other actions that could be thought about.

1. Go to the mainstream media with the concerns. I believe this might be somewhat helpful in the short term for the protection of a few greyhounds that are currently going around. However, I fear that the potential negatives from using this method could far outweigh any positives gained. Personally I'm totally against it for the long term good of the code.
  2. Work together & compile a formal submission to put to the GRNZ board. I don't foresee an problems arising from trying this option for any individuals as long as it is composed & finalized in a group private message on this site. Your personal email address could be kept to yourself if you choose to, as I'd be happy to use mine to put the final submission forward to the board. However, the final submission would require real world names to be applied to it, so if you're not willing to share that information with the group, a submission on your own accord might be a better option for you personally.

If anyone has ideas about other options, feel free to put them forward.

Change is obviously needed in most of our eyes, so instead of just having a b1tch about it, we can choose to work together and do our best to get that needed change in place.

48 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

In life I've found that the squeaky gear usually is the one that gets the oil.

I've also found it's best to strike when the kettle is hot.

If any concerns of above Racecafer posters are genuine, as mine are (other than the fake advertisement I've posted to try to make a point), then there are a couple of other actions that could be thought about.

1. Go to the mainstream media with the concerns. I believe this might be somewhat helpful in the short term for the protection of a few greyhounds that are currently going around. However, I fear that the potential negatives from using this method could far outweigh any positives gained. Personally I'm totally against it for the long term good of the code.
  2. Work together & compile a formal submission to put to the GRNZ board. I don't foresee an problems arising from trying this option for any individuals as long as it is composed & finalized in a group private message on this site. Your personal email address could be kept to yourself if you choose to, as I'd be happy to use mine to put the final submission forward to the board. However, the final submission would require real world names to be applied to it, so if you're not willing to share that information with the group, a submission on your own accord might be a better option for you personally.

If anyone has ideas about other options, feel free to put them forward.

Change is obviously needed in most of our eyes, so instead of just having a b1tch about it, we can choose to work together and do our best to get that needed change in place.

perhaps nzgra could adopt grv advice to new owners and present    

Buying A Pup

Buying a greyhound as a pup can be a rewarding experience as in most cases you can have a hands on involvement as your greyhound grows and you will have the chance to develop a close bond with your dog.

If your pup is going to be reared by someone else, regular visits to spend time with your pup is recommended and encouraged.  Watching your greyhound grow from a tiny pup into a racing athlete is also a wonderful journey, and the more time you can commit to getting to know your pup the better.  Simple things like playing chase games, handling him and helping to teach him to walk on a lead from a young age will increase his chances of growing into a confident, successful race dog. Most greyhound pups are sold at around three to four months of age and they usually begin racing at around 22 months.

You can expect to pay anywhere from $2,500 – $15,000 for a greyhound pup, depending on its breeding, but it’s not necessarily a case of the more you spend the greater your chances of buying a future champion.  Doing a bit of research into successful blood lines, or getting advice from people who follow the success of various breeding combinations, can help you identify pups that are well bred and should have a better than average chance of winning races. On top of your initial outlay, you can expect to spend around $5,000 in expenses getting your greyhound to the racetrack.

Below is a reasonable estimation of the breakdown of expenses across the journey:

• 3 months: Buy pup (approximate minimum $2,500)
  • 3 to 14 months: Rearing @ $60 per week for 48 weeks ($2,880)
  • 14 to 16 Months: Breaking-in fees for a period of 4 – 6 weeks @ $100 – $120 per week(approximate minimum $400)
  • 16 to 17 months: Spelling @ $60 per week for 8 weeks ($480)
  • 18-20 months: Pre-training @ $100 per week for 12 weeks ($1,200)

Estimate total: $7,060

One of the real pluses for greyhound ownership is that once your greyhound is racing there are usually no on-going training fees.Most trainers in Victoria operate on a ‘50/50’ deal, where they cover all of the regular upkeep expenses related to the greyhound (food, blood tests, trials, vet and chiropractic visits) in exchange for half of any prize money your greyhound wins.

Charles, I think you should delete the first suggested action in your previous post. As you have correctly said it would be counterproductive to the industry trying to portray the opposite. This can be resolved in a far less tumultuous manner.

Put yourself in the NZGRA' s shoes as they on a hiding to nothing over this. They attempted to have change and the rank and file did not want it. Some may say they should just go ahead and alter the rule anyway but when ever that has happened it has met with uproar.