RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
come on ref

over raced dogs

2 hours ago, come on ref said:

What are peoples views of how often dogs should run. Only asking as i see a few dogs in tonight that will of raced 3 times this week.

My personal opinion is that the dog concerned should race once a week, maybe twice at the most. Unfortunately there are trainers out there who have the  concept of "have dog, will race." Hope it helps.

Cheers

Lottabull

There were multiple McInerney runners last week that raced 3 times in 4 days, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday!

There are a few in today that raced yesterday.

Twice a week is no problem, even 3 times on some occasions, like a Tuesday, Friday, Tuesday, I think that is fine, but this day to day rubbish has to stop.

I would like to see a club show some balls and put forward a remit that states you should not be allowed to race a dog within 24 hrs of its last start.

There haven't been many that regularly do it, the ones I have noticed are McInerney, Evans, and up this way the Kite's and the Hunt's seem to do it when it permits, I don't think it should be allowed.

I have no issue with a dog racing twice in 2 days per se. Its when its 3 times a week, week after week that is the problem. Smaller kennels like Kites for example, I would have more faith in them because they would know their dogs intimately and thus would make the correct judgment call on how their dogs have pulled up the next morning and in saying that, check how the Kite dogs have gone when backing up! Its the 'dog farmers', or is that 'voucher farmers' who are running their dogs into the ground!

As a punter I wouldn't back one that has lined up 2 many times during the week . As I don't train I could not make comment. Come on ref and who knows what dogs do you train then I can make a judgment call if you would both be in the same boat . 

Guys give it a break , you are all wrong it is up to the trainer , i have a dog running 3 times this week because i as a trainer believe he needs to have a learning curve ,my choice and  in talking with the owners they agree,but he would not do it next week....my choice owners choice not yours..

23 minutes ago, Hound Fan said:

Guys give it a break , you are all wrong it is up to the trainer , i have a dog running 3 times this week because i as a trainer believe he needs to have a learning curve ,my choice and  in talking with the owners they agree,but he would not do it next week....my choice owners choice not yours..

They are meaning dogs that line up 3 times a week, week in week out.....theres plenty of them that do it up here in the north, funnily enough they go hard then go........? Theres a few that thrash there dogs until they break....pointless in my opinion but different strokes for different folks aye...the nzgra welfare manager did actually attempt to get a rule change on this matter at the latest agm but once again it was "chucked" together and had no consideration for heats/semis/finals falling within that 7 day period..may have been a good idea for a rule change but he had his chance and screwed it up due to insufficient forward thinking , will be hard pressed to get it on the table again unfortunately....

11 hours ago, Hound Fan said:

Hey, the fact is dogs are run into the ground in this country, race till they drop. And no, they are not wrong. You do not see dogs running 3 times in a week in Aus such as happens here. Just pure greed. Then when these so called trainers break them down, they are the first to blame the track.

I note the comment in the form guide today informs us that Thunder Storm will be having his 10th start this month today, I also see it is in again on Thursday.

That will make it 11 starts in a month, about a race every 3 days non-stop, and they call this guy the 'leading' trainer in the country, what a joke.

It gets even worse, Homebush Flame had its first start today at 14 months old, it is racing again on Thursday, and just for good measure is in again the following day.

That is 3 races in 5 days for a 14 month old dog, this isn't just wrong it is sick.

The time has come we need to bring in the rule like they are bringing in in Victoria where a dog is not allowed to race day to day.

Where is our so called 'welfare' officer, I don't care what anyone says, racing a dog that young so often IS a welfare issue and he needs to get off his ass and do something about it!

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

I note the comment in the form guide today informs us that Thunder Storm will be having his 10th start this month today, I also see it is in again on Thursday.

That will make it 11 starts in a month, about a race every 3 days non-stop, and they call this guy the 'leading' trainer in the country, what a joke.

Make that 12 races in a month, it is also racing again on Friday.

On 4 March 2016 at 9:11 PM, I know said:

As a punter I wouldn't back one that has lined up 2 many times during the week . As I don't train I could not make comment. Come on ref and who knows what dogs do you train then I can make a judgment call if you would both be in the same boat . 

Well as you can see by the number of people who agree with my view on these dogs being flogged, you are very much in the minority with your view that this is OK.

And yes, in terms of wins he is the leading trainer in NZ, his strike-rate however is abysmal, and that is what you go by when looking at who the better trainers are, they line their dogs up when they are fit and well and not tired from racing the day before.

And no, I am not 'obsessed' with anybody, I just don't like seeing pups going around the track 3 times in 5 days, you think there's anything wrong with that?

I urge you to maybe change your name to 'don't know'.

I do feel sorry for you denying your obsession but each to there own I guess. Unfortunately you can't answer my question as to who you are or your claim to fame,No need to be embarrassed. Just had a look at his strike rate and there are plenty below him so what are you saying about them ? If you have 5 in a race and only 3 placings that has to affect the strike rate. The funny thing is these dogs that go round of his actually beat the so called fit and well and not tired dogs can you explain that ? . I'll change my name to I don't know when you change your to "I'm a nobody " buddy have a nice day . PS I see the " team " had 7 winners today I'm sure they are not bothered by "who cares" 

29 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I'm not going to get into a personal attack with you, you are obviously linked to the kennel.

I would go into detail the dangers of racing such a young dog so often, but I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you.

At What Age Do You Start Racing Your Dog?  

Conrad Buhner
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 372
Dogs 11 / Races 3
09 Feb 2012 06:08

i just wanted to get peoples opinions on what is the best age for a dog to start racing??

Also at what age is there bones fully developed??

I am sure plenty of people have had some experience in this area and have worked out from previous pups that they started them to early or to late.

151786_f.jpg
Jeffery Hanson
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 437
Dogs 3 / Races 0
09 Feb 2012 07:12

I'm not entirely sure what age a dogs bones are fully developed but in regards to education,
I take my pups out of the paddock at 13 months, start breaking them to the kennels, lead etc and free galloping until they are 14 1/2-15 months. Break them in, spell them and start working them around 19-20 months of age..

I know some trainers who start there dogs at 17-18 months but thats not for me.

131134_f.jpg
Andrew Plasier
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 483
Dogs 0 / Races 16
09 Feb 2012 08:03

just depends on the dogs maturity,sum can start at 17-18 mths but most wait till 19-20mths.

Wayne Neilan
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 562
Dogs 21 / Races 8
09 Feb 2012 08:27

a greyhound as per there proper breed profile is mature at 3 years, bones are still growing till 20 months ,
they should be in a large yard say 10 acres during rearing and have sufficient amount of calcium every day.
many dogs reach there peak racing ability between 30-60 months of age, racing before this can lead to injury and can wear a dog out so much that you will never see its full potential.

you only get around 100 good runs from a greyhound that includes trials so make them count.

this is of my opinion only and is only based on reading many books on the breed and on greyhound racing as well as family memberes race dogs that couldnt do well at 2 years but when raced at 3 or 4 did very well

Colm Sweeney
Ireland
(Verified User)
Posts 772
Dogs 4 / Races 0
11 Feb 2012 21:16

4.5 years EXTERNAL LINK 

22087_f.jpg
Glenn Hatton
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 4102
Dogs 89 / Races 98
11 Feb 2012 21:37

A greyhounds equivalent human age is something like this (according to various charts at different vets I've been to)

1 year (dog) :12-15 years (human)
2 years: 20-24 years
3 years: 24-28

And roughly 4-5 years aging every year thereafter.

It's widely accepted that dogs age quicker in the first few years but averages out to be around 7 dog years to 1 human year.

To answer your question though....after having plenty of dogs I believe educating them early is the way to success. Lead trained as early as possible, bullring & regular kennelling by 11-12 months & they will break themselves in. 
A dog IMO gets faster as it gets older so I'd rather it learn to negotiate bends at a relatively young age as opposed to doing so when it's older & faster...this to avoid injury. 
After break in at 12 to 13 months give your dog a spell of 6 weeks and then bring it back to the kennels & work it up patiently. 
If you do this you should have a dog ready to race (barring injury & bad luck) by 16-17 months. 16 months is minimum age to race in NSW
Straight track work to get their balance helps also

Hope this helps

6 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

It gets even worse, Homebush Flame had its first start today at 14 months old, it is racing again on Thursday, and just for good measure is in again the following day.

That is 3 races in 5 days for a 14 month old dog, this isn't just wrong it is sick.

The time has come we need to bring in the rule like they are bringing in in Victoria where a dog is not allowed to race day to day.

Where is our so called 'welfare' officer, I don't care what anyone says, racing a dog that young so often IS a welfare issue and he needs to get off his ass and do something about it!

This makes my blood boil. Sickening quite honestly. Pure greed plain and simple. 

Great to have one of the McInerney family posting on racecafe tho, interesting name tho since 'no one knows' where all his dogs end up! 

This comes back to our awards.....surley all divisions should have winners but should not the top trainer be awarded on group one wins as greyhound of the year is...animal welfare should dictate this.....ie  karen walsh wins 6 group ones but the top number in wins trainers win none who is the top trainer ?????.....its time our awards reflected the best not the most..