RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
von Smallhaussen

Herbie Dyke Stakes

I wasn't expecting it to happen this quickly but maybe the chickens have already roosted?

4 noms for the Ashhurst Pohongina Cup $30,000 as well.

At least Riccarton got 7 and 8 noms respectively for their two open handicaps.

Just now, Midget said:

What we need is more trips to the Arc etc....that's how we solved all our problems five years ago wasn't it ?

That has no doubt helped. This is continuing evidence that stakes levels are the greatest driver for participation as Fasthorse continues to point out.

14 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I wasn't expecting it to happen this quickly but maybe the chickens have already roosted?

CHCH has 7 in the open 1800, only two are open class horses, and four entries are from one single stable.

Palmerston nom's are catastrophic across all grades, this is grave to say the least but compelling evidence that we have some serious issues developing and an inexplicable lack of confidence and or horses.

You choose which it is, or is it both, and the trainers are voting with their feet.

The whole structure is wrong; dates, programmes, stakes, handicapping.

The sad thing is it isn't necessarily that difficult to  improve things significantly, and doesn't require heaps of money and overseas trips.

It does require common sense though and some feel for the racing industry.

The programming hasnt changed in 30 years with the Waikato meeting yet other meetings have - Auckland Cup meeting etc not to mention all the Group races being brought forward in Melbourne and Sydney due to the early Easter. Me thinks someone inside the club is asleep at the wheel - surely "they" would have been ringing around over the past 2 weeks shoreing up the field before this shambles. Bet "they" are running around flat out now but alas to late - unfortunately the horse(s) have bolted

51 minutes ago, Leggy said:

That has no doubt helped. This is continuing evidence that stakes levels are the greatest driver for participation as Fasthorse continues to point out.

What bullshit/spin will he come up with to counter this?

Don't quite think you can blame the dates structure for this Waikato debacle(I am not saying it is perfect just that it is not the reason this time)

This meeting fits quite nicely between Trentham and either Auckland and/or Sydney 

In my opinion the Waikato issue is the quality of the four who are in there - I suspect one or two have been scared off.

As for the rest of the country well that is a major concern but for God's sake Greg is just getting over his jetlag and delhi belly from the Mumbai Trip - can't you lot cut him some slack?

2 hours ago, Don Clarke said:

The programming hasnt changed in 30 years with the Waikato meeting yet other meetings have - Auckland Cup meeting etc not to mention all the Group races being brought forward in Melbourne and Sydney due to the early Easter. Me thinks someone inside the club is asleep at the wheel - surely "they" would have been ringing around over the past 2 weeks shoreing up the field before this shambles. Bet "they" are running around flat out now but alas to late - unfortunately the horse(s) have bolted

Here we go the boot has surfaced. First shot a goal.

3 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

In my opinion the Waikato issue is the quality of the four who are in there - I suspect one or two have been scared off.

As for the rest of the country well that is a major concern but for God's sake Greg is just getting over his jetlag and delhi belly from the Mumbai Trip - can't you lot cut him some slack?

I was thinking the same myself when looking at Noms, but the fact you have just 4 horses there in initial noms is indication enough that the policies & strategies of NZracing over time have not been working at all.

Interesting also that 3 of the noms are the fairer sex.

5 hours ago, Leggy said:

I'm also surprised its happened so quickly , but lets face it , it was always on the horizon. Imagine what winter is going to look like FFS!

But this is what happens when you have an organisation that will not listen, is politically swayed by the greedy and short sighted and copy paste strategy from across the Tasman and Asia.

The chain of command at Petone must be made of cotton, surely the feedback must land on the desk at the very top shortly, it can't get much worse, meanwhile us ''the great unwashed' just have to grin and bear it......apparently.......oh, and still race for 7k if we don't have a horse that is up to racing Premium Saturdays. How much are the salaries again there in Petone? how much you say?........that's disssssspicable.

37 minutes ago, biff said:

The chain of command at Petone must be made of cotton, surely the feedback must land on the desk at the very top shortly, it can't get much worse, meanwhile us ''the great unwashed' just have to grin and bear it......apparently.......oh, and still race for 7k if we don't have a horse that is up to racing Premium Saturdays. How much are the salaries again there in Petone? how much you say?........that's disssssspicable.

The problem is they simply do not care Biff.

Greg has just been on the Indian junket, probably dropped into the Karaka Million night and the booming sales, has been to Kumara with the thronging crowds and thinks all is well in the world.

Glenda, John Allen and the Minister will all have been to Karaka and the Million night and they too will be smug and secure that the industry is on the up and up.

It is tragic but that is the world we are forced to deal with in the industry at present.

11 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Greg has just been on the Indian junket, probably dropped into the Karaka Million night and the booming sales, has been to Kumara with the thronging crowds and thinks all is well in the world.

Glenda, John Allen and the Minister will all have been to Karaka and the Million night and they too will be smug and secure that the industry is on the up and up.

It is tragic but that is the world we are forced to deal with in the industry at present.

Its not so much a matter that "they don't care", they probably just don't understand the question.

And none of them have any track record or depth of knowledge of NZ Racing.

2 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

And isn't that a tragedy in itself Tom......they just don't care. We have that type of person in control of our lives, well some of us do and it hurts, financially and emotionally. We get back to that word 'accountability'. If there is no one to account to, human behaviour being what it is, well we are seeing that at present. I was offended by Glenda's lack of knowledge during her recent televised spiel,  Purcell is another matter entirely, the fiasco that was the 'Kevin Morton Report' and it was a fiasco as we all know, the ongoing comedy that's in real time, a tragedy. Grass roots people seem to have just given up, I liken this situation in our industry to 'Zimbabwe' Tom. Having spent  considerable time in that lovely country there are endless comparisons. I'll go back to my shit truck now and trawl the paddocks, peace and quite and lovely company.

1 hour ago, biff said:

And isn't that a tragedy in itself Tom......they just don't care. We have that type of person in control of our lives, well some of us do and it hurts, financially and emotionally. We get back to that word 'accountability'. If there is no one to account to, human behaviour being what it is, well we are seeing that at present. I was offended by Glenda's lack of knowledge during her recent televised spiel,  Purcell is another matter entirely, the fiasco that was the 'Kevin Morton Report' and it was a fiasco as we all know, the ongoing comedy that's in real time, a tragedy. Grass roots people seem to have just given up, I liken this situation in our industry to 'Zimbabwe' Tom. Having spent  considerable time in that lovely country there are endless comparisons. I'll go back to my shit truck now and trawl the paddocks, peace and quite and lovely company.

Yes it is so unusual in that it seems the vast majority of those with control here actually have little or no background and seemingly little or no actual interest in or knowledge of the game.

I remember they used to growl when Jack Bennett(I think) was the head of the racing authority and Acklin(whatever his faults) the head of the NZRC.  At least those guys actually liked racing and attended racemeetings.

This Purcell and the other non-entities are simply there to pick up a whopping salary.  And you just feel so bloody helpless watching it happen -  you can't even ring your local Board Member cos local Board Members no longer exist

I am horrified by the fall off in fields and so suddenly.  Avondale today - an industry day which in the last few years would have full to bursting fields - half of them today are two divs.  It is just sickening but Allen and Co will not care because they will just pick up Aussie product to fill the gaps.

3 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Yes it is so unusual in that it seems the vast majority of those with control here actually have little or no background and seemingly little or no actual interest in or knowledge of the game.

I remember they used to growl when Jack Bennett(I think) was the head of the racing authority and Acklin(whatever his faults) the head of the NZRC.  At least those guys actually liked racing and attended racemeetings.

This Purcell and the other non-entities are simply there to pick up a whopping salary.  And you just feel so bloody helpless watching it happen -  you can't even ring your local Board Member cos local Board Members no longer exist

I am horrified by the fall off in fields and so suddenly.  Avondale today - an industry day which in the last few years would have full to bursting fields - half of them today are two divs.  It is just sickening but Allen and Co will not care because they will just pick up Aussie product to fill the gaps.

All very true Tom.

Firm but fair was Jack. He would have no tolerance for most of the current lot.

I've never understood it, hiring people with no previous experience in an industry to run it. It's like getting a doctor to run a bakery. The thing is, they don't care. They're not enthusiasts, they don't have that deep interest in making the sport successful. And who could blame them, when you don't care about your job you do what you have to to get paid and go home. It's just sad for those who have spent decades in the sport and rely on it for their livelihood to see it happening.