RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
chevy86

First Foals

I may be imagining it but as an up-coming breeder I have the impression that there is a bias against "first foals". Is my suspicion justified, and if the bias is a reality could someone explain the rationale behind such a prejudice.

Thanks

I'm no expert chevy, but I thought this bias was to do with the first foal being smaller.

I guess at the first foal stage the mare isn't proven in terms of throwing winners yet.

It would be interesting to compare some stats on average race wins for first foal compared to 2nd 3rd...

20 hours ago, chevy86 said:

I may be imagining it but as an up-coming breeder I have the impression that there is a bias against "first foals". Is my suspicion justified, and if the bias is a reality could someone explain the rationale behind such a prejudice.

Thanks

Yep chevy, primiparous mares have foals with birth weights about 10% lower than multiparous mares up to age about 15 when it starts falling off again.

On the other hand, a large private study we did in the US in the 80s showed that the subsequent sales bias was misplaced, with foals from primiparous mares having average lifetime earnings about 20% higher.

Don't know if there's any more recent work on this especially in the ANZ setting but it would be interesting if someone can point us to it. Peter Jenkins maybe?