RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
slam dunk

Avondale - Spot the Parade Ring...

Because I' can't.

THere are no doubt a number of ambitious plans floating around. The image below from a architectural thesis http://unitec.researchbank.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10652/2543/Huanyu%20Wang%2c%201348739.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Seems most of these "futuristic plans don't have any mention of racing but seem to leave the racetrack there for now as if not to "waken" racing enthusiasts.

I doubt racing  could take place alongside a series of high rises given the shadow positioning at Avondale.

Neverthless its about time for racing participants look at something North of Auckland thru to Helensville along to Orewa perhaps combining with harness e.g. Kumeu Harness Club It is a very populous area with no racetrack. Huge number of lifestyle blocks suitable for an owner/trainers. The pressure which the Auckland Council will exert on Avondale may just be too great.

eavondaleplan.jpg.8decb7239897f89d83b4760

talking of avondale ...... we come up to Auckland for "cup" week every year.

This year we have a first visit to Avondale on the cards ... can any locals give us some tips on where on track we need to go to have the best day possible. For our sins we are punters and drinkers....:ph34r:

Easy, only two choices, Owners and Trainers or the Members Stand, both offer good views, Members offer inside and outside sitting.

Members, nothing flash, (I have never been upstairs) more like an old RSA or cossie, but has totes, well priced bar, food and plenty of TVs, with teletext for most meetings.

Friendly people and a good atmosphere. 

:) 

Chances are, you will see Gruff or me on course

On 25/01/2016 at 6:17 PM, chelseacol said:

talking of avondale ...... we come up to Auckland for "cup" week every year.

This year we have a first visit to Avondale on the cards ... can any locals give us some tips on where on track we need to go to have the best day possible. For our sins we are punters and drinkers....:ph34r:

I thought that summed us all up..."Punters & Drinkers". LOL

On 1/25/2016 at 4:01 PM, Midget said:

Avondale is zoned "green belt" and cannot be developed apart from the Titirangi Rd and Ash St boundaries.

The strange aspect I noticed was that the "development area" doesn't extend anywhere near to the grandstands. What if the grandstands are required for commercial use in conjunction with the street frontage?

I suspect the Geen Zone classification only there as an assist to Avondale Jockey to alleviate any rates. If it was developed with trees it would be far more greener than now.

In the days when high flying thinkers installed the lights there was serious talk of drilling a tunnel under the track. I hope the club is aware that any such idea would be good to progress whilst all the tunnelers are still in the area. Even if a tunnel was drilled then moth balled for 10 years.

Suburbs Sports Club and a multitude of other use the center of the track for all manner of sports.

I have connections at Council ( not Len Brown !! ) and this subject has been traversed many times, that is green belt and will remain so forever I'm told.

48 minutes ago, tim vince said:

forever can be a very short time depending on who is in power

This is not a marriage so forever is forever !!

A previous Mayor I'm close to told me that the inner was permanently zoned green fields so I'd be inclined to say it's forever, and if Avondale ever buckles that'll become a public park and sports facility.