RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
biff

Where the hell is Colic!

Goose on Trackside this arvo, talking about Colic.......mate, colic is a gut ailment in horses, Colac as it's spelt is in Victoria, do your homework and show some respect...I used to pay out on Richard Bensley in Oz too, he couldn't be bothered pronouncing Maori names correctly either....he missed by a mile and thought it funny....this fella in AKL is just plain lazy.....man up Trackside!

Several weeks ago one of the new female presenters was telling us all about Wagin in W.A.  It's pronounced wage-in.

She called it Wagon as in wagon wheel. She also described it as being in Tasmania.

To her credit she came back later and said she'd just had a geography lesson and acknowledged "wagon" was in W.A. 

1 hour ago, SMD is rife said:

Oh dear....and you couldn't even differentiate between a bush jockey (Richard Bensley) and a TV presenter Andrew Bensley. Will have to put you in the same category as those you are moaning about.

You got me newbie Richard Bensley rode a winner for me, the other Bensley is and Andrew correct, it doesn't excuse his slaughter of Maori names.

I rang a Radio Sports Racing personality once ( he's a good one too!) because he had been pronouncing Otaki as Oh Tar Key. I suggested that most NZ'ers would refer to it as O Tacky - maybe as they were breezing through. I noticed in the Members Bar at the OMRC, some photos of jumps race winners back in the 60's, including the owners, trainer, jockey and Stakes. Jeez, it would be great if we had those prize money levels today !

1 hour ago, Trump said:

I rang a Radio Sports Racing personality once ( he's a good one too!) because he had been pronouncing Otaki as Oh Tar Key. I suggested that most NZ'ers would refer to it as O Tacky - maybe as they were breezing through. I noticed in the Members Bar at the OMRC, some photos of jumps race winners back in the 60's, including the owners, trainer, jockey and Stakes. Jeez, it would be great if we had those prize money levels today !

Jack Petley calls it Oh Ta Ki 

"Oh ta ki" is the correct pronunciation. The 'a' in Maori is pronounced 'ar'. Likewise, the 'e' is pronounced 'ay', the 'i' is pronounced 'e', and the 'u' is pronounced 'oo'. This pronunciation of the vowels is the same as Italian. Interestingly, all Maori and Italian words also end in a vowel.

48 minutes ago, bazach said:

"Oh ta ki" is the correct pronunciation. The 'a' in Maori is pronounced 'ar'. Likewise, the 'e' is pronounced 'ay', the 'i' is pronounced 'e', and the 'u' is pronounced 'oo'. This pronunciation of the vowels is the same as Italian. Interestingly, all Maori and Italian words also end in a vowel.

:blink:

what about harrrrrrghroatarooa or some idoit way petley and the commentrators pronounce that one, n0?

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

No expert but I think you'll find it's Orr tah key

Okay leggy. You are probably more correct with the 'key'. The main point with Maori is that it is easy to pronounce Maori words once you know the vowel sounds. The only other 'sticky' area in Maori is 'nga' pronounced 'nar', and 'wh' which we know has some dispute over its pronunciation. Cheers.

The one that is getting me right now is the pronunciation of jockey Jacob Lowry. Whoever the guy is on Radio Trackside that is filling in for Peter Earley keeps calling him Lorry. He did the same thing last week. No hard and it is not like it is a new name in NZ racing.

39 minutes ago, kdt said:

The one that is getting me right now is the pronunciation of jockey Jacob Lowry. Whoever the guy is on Radio Trackside that is filling in for Peter Earley keeps calling him Lorry. He did the same thing last week. No hard and it is not like it is a new name in NZ racing.

TEAZ - you think being the Otago caller he would get it right