RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cubes

Three favourite Wellington Cup Winners

1 hour ago, Steve Paul said:

1998 - Aerosmith, I had not been in NZ for too long at the time and this was probably my first big punt since arriving.

Can't remember the name of the runner up but I do think it should have got the race!

He beat Magnet Bay and Altrista

Incidentally, he like Daria's Fun had bolted in in the Trentham Stakes (also with Greg Childs in the saddle) the first day (beating Magnet Bay) after having run second in the Auckland Cup. (behind Jezabeel)

15 minutes ago, SMD is rife said:

Incorrect there Ted. Aerosmith won the Trentham Stakes on the second day of the carnival.

To the best of my knowledge the 19th of January comes before the 24th of January SMD. :)

The Trentham Stakes were run on the 19th and the Cup on the 24th in 1998.  

14 minutes ago, SMD is rife said:

Ted the first day of the carnival was the 17th of January, the day the filly 'designed in a dream' Tycoon Lil won the Oaks. The 19th was the second day of the carnival and the Cup was run on the third day. 

Tycoon Lil another Oaks winner ridden by CWJ. From memory I think he won four in quick succession in the 90's; Lil, Domino and Tartin Tights and I think one other that I can't recall.

17 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

The Monday certainly isn't as big as it once was.

Will never ever, ever, forget the mighty Our Maizcay winning the Magic Millions on this day in 1995. Then he returned to win the Wakefield in March even more impressively. The best 2 year old I think I've seen.

9 minutes ago, SMD is rife said:

Will never ever, ever, forget the mighty Our Maizcay winning the Magic Millions on this day in 1995. Then he returned to win the Wakefield in March even more impressively. The best 2 year old I think I've seen.

Yes what a super horse.

I met a good bloke on a Melbourne Cup trip who part owned the horse (sorry name escapes me but i think he was a well known owner).

He told the story that he sometimes wondered if they ever made any money from prize money after all the expenses and travel  - including after each win they would pay to get a replica of each trophy for each owner in the horse :-)

Tongue in cheek I'm sure and they sure had a great time from what he described

41 minutes ago, SMD is rife said:

Hadn't seen this before till you mention it, Well impressive.

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

Hadn't seen this before till you mention it, Well impressive.

Cheers for that Huey. The only time I've been on a racecourse when the crowd stood as one with 300m to go and started applauding for the same horse. Sent shivers down the spine.

3 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

That would be Ronald Rosenberg, Colin. Google him, he might enjoy you paying him a visit :)

interesting - guess it was him - was on one of the Stars Sports tours trips to Melbourne Cup.

Not 100% sure I recognise him though - but i was enjoying the trip so may well have beenB)

Agreed she was class and that time unlikely to be bettered anytime soon. I doubt any of the previous winners,  modern day wouuld even be close to that time. What a great ride you had David those horses come once in  life time. Be great to have one half as good. 

Rastes

Samasaan

Castletowns  3rd, one of my best days oncourse, tho I spent a lot of time crossing the railway track going to the bar across the road ......... :lol:

and Miles Better (one of my favourite horses) was unlucky a couple of times in the cup.