RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cubes

Three favourite Wellington Cup Winners

Cubity has a soft spot for many old time favourite / nostalgic thingys

Robert Muldoon

The colour Green

Cuttlefish

Fush and Chups wrapped in newspaper

But this is a thoroughbred forum so to stay on topic the Cubemeister lists our favourite 3 Wellington Cup Winners

1980...Cubacade (well duh !)

1975...Timon

1974...Battle Heights

1963...Great Sensation

If anyone gives a flying toss Mrs Cubes' 3 are :

1986...Samasaan

1984...Secured Deposit

1959...Ark Royal (namesake sadly sunk during the Falklands War)

As a stunningly fascinating point , Cubes thought Payco won at 100-1, but can't find it anywhere so we must be more deluded than previously thought.....

8 minutes ago, N1MUE said:

I think Payco won a NZ Cup Cubes, but not the Wellington Cup.   Miss Bailey and Simon De Montfort both paid over 100-1 when they won the Wellington Cup.

My three favourite Wellington Cup winners are Daria's Fun and Flying Luskin.

And.....??:rolleyes:

Eiffel Tower [ Because of a pound each way as a sixteen year old kid, I managed to buy me my first car, a Morris 10.]

Good Lord [Not because of his win but because of the unbelievable performance of Showgate to run 2nd She had previously won the Telegraph!]

Noble Khan [Because I got my biggest collect that day of all Wellington Cup Days - Win, Quinella and Trifecta and they were all beauties.]

Brilliant stuff Leggy and Baz, Imaprince was one of my favourite horses. CWJ would have to be one of the very best Trentham jockeys ever. I still remember his Oaks win on Domino. People think of him as good on back runners, but he was, and still is, equally expert on front runners. Very much like Tito Poblete.

On a slightly different tact, one of the most disgraceful Wgtn Cup episodes ever was the relegation of Reykavik. Can't remember who won that race. Just remember I backed the third placegetter at big odds.

Cubacade Cubacade Cubacade

favorite horse of all time. Meant to fly down to Trenth the day he won but there was some sort of cock up involved. Got there the next week. 

This horse coulda woulda shoulda won a Melb Cup. 

Honourable mentions Il Tempo

and Kiwi. Two champs there. 

Daria,s Fun still holds the race record for the Wellington Cup@ 3.15.59. I was a part owner and she was a stayer of huge ability. We ran in the Melbourne cup and she ran 8th finishing from stone last at the turn. When the jockey came back ,his first comment was " If I had known she could finish like that I would have been closer at the turn. All in all she was our pride and joy and was honoured by being voted the stayer of the year.

15 minutes ago, david hodgetts said:

Daria,s Fun still holds the race record for the Wellington Cup@ 3.15.59. I was a part owner and she was a stayer of huge ability. We ran in the Melbourne cup and she ran 8th finishing from stone last at the turn. When the jockey came back ,his first comment was " If I had known she could finish like that I would have been closer at the turn. All in all she was our pride and joy and was honoured by being voted the stayer of the year.

She was a class horse, I was there that day. If I recall correctly the second horse was a good type as well.

9 hours ago, david hodgetts said:

I was there that day also David. She bolted in beating Banderol and Double Lang.

She had done the same the first day when winning the Trentham Stakes wfa (2400m) carrying 57.5kgs in the hands of Greg Childs. Afterwards Greg told me she wouldn't get beat in the Cup and of course dropping to 53kgs.

Actually she was in a rich vein of form going into the 1988 Wellington Cup. The Trentham Stakes win was preceded by a second behind Sea Swift in the Auckland Cup, a win in the Queen Elizabeth Handicap (2400m) with Sea Swift 3rd and a fourth in the Avondale Cup behind Dungarvan.   

And that was after her Australian campaign which included two fourths at 2400m in the Geelong Cup and Sandown Cup, a fifth in the Werribee Cup (2600m) and that eighth in the Melbourne Cup when ridden by Shane Dye. 

She was a grand staying mare for sure.