RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
SMD is rife

Wgtn Cup

I'm no expert, it was only announced in September that the race was back to 3200m, maybe not enough time to prepare for 3200m?

Good on them for putting it back to 3200m, maybe in the future it be back to being a great race.

Why is it people are only interested in pointing out the negatives?

Come on SMD do your homework a wee bit better.

18 lined up last year with an average rating of 89 and this year there are 15 noms (3 less) with an average rating of 87. Would have been 16 but Michael Pitman's horse was galloped on last Saturday.  

I would be more concerned re numbers in the Thorndon 18 starters last year, only 13 noms this year.  

SW & P conditions with them in I would say certainly.  

Interesting to see Mabeel nominated as Trent was saying they would be going to Te Rapa next for either the wfa 1400m or 2000m on radio yesterday. Said two trips to Wellington in a week was not ideal.  

4 hours ago, Hacko said:

I'm no expert, it was only announced in September that the race was back to 3200m, maybe not enough time to prepare for 3200m?

Good on them for putting it back to 3200m, maybe in the future it be back to being a great race.

Why is it people are only interested in pointing out the negatives?

The reason they dropped to 2,400m was because it was losing it's rating due to the c**p fields. Back to 3,200m and back to c**p fields.

1 hour ago, Jefferson said:

The reason they dropped to 2,400m was because it was losing it's rating due to the c**p fields. Back to 3,200m and back to c**p fields.

And by dropping the distance back to 2400m it lost it's uniqueness. 2400m races in NZ are a dime a dozen and the fields didn't become significantly stronger either as result.

The major strength of the Wellington Cup and the reason it had become such an iconic race was that from 1942 until 2009 it was run over 2 miles/3200m and won by some wonderful stayers.  Great Sensations three consecutive wins in the early 60s through to Castletown's three cups in the 90s are legendary and an extremely strong following of the Wellington Cup because it was run over 3200m ensued thereby creating the tradition of relating the Cup to the ultimate flat distance. 

Starting way up the chute with the long run to the winning post the first time is a great spectacle and the roar of the crowd as they get there with a round to go is quite stirring further adding to the hype and atmosphere.

There was major disappointment by the public when the race was dropped back in distance and since 2009 very strong calls to step it back up to 3200m. I am one of those people. I would have loved to be able to go to Trentham this Saturday to celebrate the return to 3200m but will have to watch on TV instead. I will look forward to seeing the starting gates for this race returning way up the chute and even from my lounge will give a hearty cheer as they reach the post the first time. It's hard to beat tradition and uniqueness.       

Sureasyouwereborn  looks the interesting runner, the lead up run to the NZ cup was terrible then had a torrid run in the cup and produced a tidy effort, lucky unicorns stay all day and on the lead up effort the other day looks a live chance.? Thoughts?

6 hours ago, rdytdy said:

SW & P conditions with them in I would say certainly.  

Interesting to see Mabeel nominated as Trent was saying they would be going to Te Rapa next for either the wfa 1400m or 2000m on radio yesterday. Said two trips to Wellington in a week was not ideal.  

Trent certainly not happy with the change to SW & P conditions - 24 points between him and Kawi...??!!

Hope the day will be sensational for you Puha. I must admit my surprise that it will be your first Wellington Cup. 

As a teenager my first Wellington Cup attendance was in 1969 when City Court won and I was able to attend every one through to and including Castletown's third win in 1994 (26 cups in a row. I moved from Wellington at the end of 1994). I have been back for a couple since.

The day itself and the after match function in the car park later were legendary. :)  

53 minutes ago, puha said:

Will be my first trip to the Cup and I would not be going if it was still 2400m. I betbitvwill be the best crowd in years this weekend. Jefferson you go switch over to trackside 2 when the cup is run and enjoy your own company.

What makes you think it will be the best crowd in years?

Well my first experience was arriving about 2.00pm 1963 and watching the grey Blue Blade lead by 10 lengths at the point where the yearling sales were being housed. Just assumed all the noise and clapping occurred after every race. The winner being Great Sensation..

Its good being nostalgic about the race at 2 miles but the form  used to come from numerous staying cups around the country. Most of those races even meetings are now non existent or less in stature so I doubt the race will be able to compared to the days when mighty stayers like Palisade weren't even able to win. The Cup owed much to the style of Peter Kelly, later Tony Lee and its about time Tom Wood was given a shot. He won't get the next level without getting that chance.

7 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

What makes you think it will be the best crowd in years?

7 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Well my first experience was arriving about 2.00pm 1963 and watching the grey Blue Blade lead by 10 lengths at the point where the yearling sales were being housed. Just assumed all the noise and clapping occurred after every race. The winner being Great Sensation..

Its good being nostalgic about the race at 2 miles but the form  used to come from numerous staying cups around the country. Most of those races even meetings are now non existent or less in stature so I doubt the race will be able to compared to the days when mighty stayers like Palisade weren't even able to win. The Cup owed much to the style of Peter Kelly, later Tony Lee and its about time Tom Wood was given a shot. He won't get the next level without getting that chance.

It will be the biggest Wellimgton Cup crowd I've seen ain't no one going to rain on my parade  else We're Doomed

11 hours ago, Gruff said:

Sureasyouwereborn  looks the interesting runner, the lead up run to the NZ cup was terrible then had a torrid run in the cup and produced a tidy effort, lucky unicorns stay all day and on the lead up effort the other day looks a live chance.? Thoughts?

feel sorry for the connections with the way this horse has been rated - good on them for having a go and best wishes to them :)

11 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Starting way up the chute with the long run to the winning post the first time is a great spectacle and the roar of the crowd as they get there with a round to go is quite stirring further adding to the hype and atmosphere.

not to mention the excitement and anticipation of the new residents now lining said chute 

512JhxbOaaL._SX940_.jpg

Sadly the crowd these days is pretty much just a bunch of 20 year olds having a piss up, not really racing people like it was many years ago.

I agree totally with Slam Dunk, I can't see why Tom doesn't get a go calling every Trentham meeting. I don't imagine Queensland will give the new chap the boot on Stradbroke day and send someone up from Sydney or Melbourne. 

20 hours ago, SMD is rife said:

All those who said what a great result getting the race back to two miles, I wonder what you are thinking now. Not even a capacity field and over half rated under 90. How embarrassing.

The Karaka Million looks the worse field in years , is it that the lead up races haven't created mush interest or there just doesn't seem to be any standouts?

10 hours ago, slam dunk said:

i remember listening to that race both at the time and on recordings in subsequent years the huge crowd nearly drowned out peter kellys call it being great sensations 3rd cup

Hopefully will encourage more people to go back to breeding stayers and giving their horses more time to mature. Okay, it is expensive waiting, AND people don't seem to have the patience they did have, but if we want to go back to having horses be competitive in races like the Melbourne Cup, then its a good thing taking the Wellington Cup back to 3200 metres.

54 minutes ago, bazach said:

Hopefully will encourage more people to go back to breeding stayers and giving their horses more time to mature. Okay, it is expensive waiting, AND people don't seem to have the patience they did have, but if we want to go back to having horses be competitive in races like the Melbourne Cup, then its a good thing taking the Wellington Cup back to 3200 metres.

We must remember the race is only worth $200,000, so not really something you are going to base your whole season around. And there is a $100,000 stayers race at Ellerslie clashing with it, and it has an even poorer field.

It also shows the importance of having good horses coming through from the South Island to boost Trentham fields.