RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bimbo

Terminating Quaddies

Does anybody at the TAB think about what they are doing and what punters might want?  On Sunday the whopping 10 k Terminating Quaddies are at Geelong and Cessnock.  There will be two maiden races in the Cessnock quaddie.  I know that the terminating quaddies are usually run on the Victorian and NSW meetings, but surely it would have been better to use the South Australian meeting on Sunday, where the races are better and the quaddie would include the Strathalbyn Cup.  Otherwise Ballina would have been a better choice than Cessnock, with no maiden races in the quaddie legs.

I think they are either too thick or too lazy to look at what the available options are and what would attract more money.

Does anyone actually look at these Aussie quaddies with $10K and think - ok thats enough to convince me to bet???

Sometimes the midweek NZ early quaddies have small pools (ie less than  say $13k). I generally dont bother to bet into them. Why the hell would I then be excited about a $10k one at a location I've never heard of, with horses I don't know ?

I find quaddies in New Zealand very hard to strike.  A$1,30 shot gets beaten in the first leg and then the same jockey guides an $80 shot home a couple of legs later.  It seems like a bet only suited to little old ladies taking lucky numbers or easybet punters in pub tabs.

I like the Australian quaddies with guaranteed pools, as they can pay well and if they don't get to the guaranteed amount you get the advantage of the dead money if you win.

New Zealand quaddies are a big rip-off for punters because of the New Zealand TAB's (larger than Australian) takeout.  I think that although many punters are dumb (like the ones who bet on quaddies with $100 pools that aren't struck everyday), many aren't and that's why the quaddie pools on New Zealand racing are so small.  Not all punters want to waste their money.  They should try to boost turnover by lowering the takeout.  The pools on New Zealand quaddies looked really good when they were running bonus pools and I'd say that would be when the smarter punters and big spenders get involved.  Why not lower the takeout for a period of time and advertise it to the punters to see if they can get the pool sizes up?

Quadie at Flemington Sat paid $2900 NZ TAB. Same Quadie Supa tab $3100. This is the difference between the thieving NZ TAB takeout and the Australian one. Happens every week. Quinellas the same. Always pays greater on Australian TABs. You can see why the NZ TAB do not want co mingling. It gives them licence to rip into punters with huge takeouts on exotic bets. You could say this is where the NZ TAB lead the world. They need to rip into punters to support their ever growing bureaucracy. With their ever diminishing client base, and ever growing Administration, ie, the R. I. U. [enough Stipes to fill a phone book.] A fat slug called Trackside that consume's bucket's of cash, a useless NZTR, throw in HRNZ, and the NZGRA all supported by boards that wouldn't no what the inside of a TAB looks like. All these things cost cash, and it comes from one source only, YOU THE PUNTER.

14 minutes ago, kakama said:

Mornington got to a massive $10800!

Other meeting didn't get to $10k, so who knows what the tab donated?

Flicked to trackside last night in between watching big bash.

Some of those win, place pools  on Aussie events are terrible, sometimes only a couple of grand? Would say most is bet on Aussie tote, very little with the nz tab.

Just wondered, how much do the tab pay to broadcast this wall to wall crap? Do they make money on it on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday night?

As long as they get to about 8k the tab take out rates will make up the difference.

Have to laugh when you see a $40 shot win on any Australian race and the first 4 pays the pool of $1200 here and 40k on aus tab. Would be enough to make you sick.

13 hours ago, Gruff said:

How about paying those who invested in that particular pool ?

Exactly! ... well said. That idea would be far too honest and simple for the TAB. They prefer more conniving and devious ideas. No wonder there is widespread mistrust in them

54 minutes ago, kakama said:

Mornington got to a massive $10800!

Other meeting didn't get to $10k, so who knows what the tab donated?

10.8 k is a pretty good pool for the NZ TAB.  Midweek local thoroughbred meetings often don't get to that size on the early quaddie and often the second quaddie doesn't get to 20 k.  The donation to the quaddie that didn't get to 10 k would in all likelihood be covered by the takeouts so they probably didn't need to dip into their (our) reserves.

New Zealand doesn't have as many punters as Australia and not as many rich, brave or silly ones.  The NZ TAB has gone out of its way to drive away its bigger and smarter punters.  Quinella pools, for example, are minuscule and could only interest the $1 bettor, as any reasonably large bet would ruin a dividend.  You can see how little punters in New Zealand bet when the races aren't commingled.  Yesterday at the Addington dogs Race 12 had a commingled win pool of 5 k.  They didn't commingle after Race 12 and the win pool was only 2.2 k in Race 13.  Just over 3 k in the win pool in the next two races.

Pools and stakes just keep dropping.  It can't keep going like this forever so if you're an executive in the industry, my advice would be to milk it for as long as you can, but have an exit strategy in place for when it all finally implodes upon itself.