RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ivanthegreat

Timaru Nostalgia

Great clip, before my time but no doubt mum and dad would have been there .  I remember  when I was young sitting in that stand at the 200m  for many years before they pulled it down. Best place to view races. The  main stand at timaru has always been too far away for anyone to see properly or create any atmosphere.  Was just last week asking why the timaru club did not race on the grass in summer. Apparently they would but galloping club always think of some reason to stop them. Sure they would get a good crowd if they did, probably never happen.

Superb clip. Really enjoyed it. Before my time but know all the great names. Globe Bay made a mess of them. Incredible seeing Cecil Devine as a young man on 1951 Cup winner Van Dieman. If I didn't know better I'd think his run for second behind Globe Bay at Timaru was actually Lord Module.

Would be interested to know if anyone here knew Ces and visited his Templeton property? As you walk down the path on the right side of his house you come by a monument to a fav horse of his on the right hand side. Straight ahead and to the left was his garden full of tomatoes etc. Does anyone know which one of Ces's previous champs that monument relates to? Was it Van Dieman or was it three time cup winner False Step. He told me but it was a while ago and I can't for the life of me remember.

Johnny Globe was not just a champion racehorse but a breed-changing sire. The commentary of the finish of the 1954 New Zealand Trotting Cup is a classic, Johnny Globe beating Young Charles. What an impact those two would go on to make on our harness breeding industry! Ces Devine was from Tasmania and I believe that he brought Van Dieman with him when he came to New Zealand. Van Dieman's Land was the original European name for Tasmania.

Great, great clip. Once again, thanks.

All the best.

Ashoka