RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Swede

Southland horses

Has anyone else noticed the improved depth in Southland racing this season?

Mid-grade horses of the calibre of Costa Del Magnifico, Pulp Fiction, I'm Full Of Excuses, Tas Man Bromac as well as up-and-comers like Statham, Southern Pursuit, All Jokes Aside. Throw in Graeme Anderson's horses from up the road in Dunedin and the usual Canterbury raiders might not get things their own way in the big southern cups coming up.

Could this herald a return to the glory days (Lunar Chance, Trusty Scott, Sapling, Bonnie's Chance etc)? Probably not, but enjoy it while it lasts.

Southern Pursuit went 2:40.0 today in the 6th race and so is  another one to watch. Though did notice Matty Williamson yanked at the reins and his charge "Zenmach" promptly broke when in the trail with about 450m to go. Waiting to see the stipes report on that. His action disrupted the field massively.

They do run some remarkable times in southland these days and no doubt will be hard to beat down south but I think its just a pipe dream to expect any of the aforementioned horses to come to a premier meeting in Canterbury or Auckland and dominate.  What I have noticed  is when the likes of costa del magnifico and pup fiction  go hard a fair way from home they leave most of the others gasping ,well  and truly in arrears. There does seem a  very big gap down there sometimes when they go hard.. Drive them similar to that at say   a Canterbury premier meeting and you wont find the others stopping.  As for the fast times, I see the 1 win grade was won very easily  by a drop back horse who  probably could have run faster than 2.41.3.    As for zenmach ,it looked to be struggling when it broke, maybe checked. This stable not having the greatest run in the last 4 months, not sure why?

Jason Teaz and Dave McDonald were getting excited today.

One of them said that Southland had the most promising horses in the Country.

Absolutely dreaming if they think that!!!

Yes they have a few promising horses down there, they always do.

Dave McDonald thinks any horse that wins well at Forbury or Southland is a champion, but the truth is that very few would measure up north of Oamaru.

6 hours ago, Brodie said:

Jason Teaz and Dave McDonald were getting excited today.

One of them said that Southland had the most promising horses in the Country.

Absolutely dreaming if they think that!!!

Yes they have a few promising horses down there, they always do.

Dave McDonald thinks any horse that wins well at Forbury or Southland is a champion, but the truth is that very few would measure up north of Oamaru.

Happens most weeks down that way with those 2. Given the numbers down that way they should perform better up north but drivers let them down a lot of the time. Williamson's being the exception.

9 hours ago, what a post said:

They do run some remarkable times in southland these days and no doubt will be hard to beat down south but I think its just a pipe dream to expect any of the aforementioned horses to come to a premier meeting in Canterbury or Auckland and dominate.  What I have noticed  is when the likes of costa del magnifico and pup fiction  go hard a fair way from home they leave most of the others gasping ,well  and truly in arrears. There does seem a  very big gap down there sometimes when they go hard.. Drive them similar to that at say   a Canterbury premier meeting and you wont find the others stopping.  As for the fast times, I see the 1 win grade was won very easily  by a drop back horse who  probably could have run faster than 2.41.3.    As for zenmach ,it looked to be struggling when it broke, maybe checked. This stable not having the greatest run in the last 4 months, not sure why?

Stipes report says the horse outside Zenmach shifted inwards and made contact with him causing the break, Driver of Macardo (A Armour) recieved a $375 fine