RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
von Smallhaussen

Gubellini

Von S here are some of the others

Dean Simonsen/ Max Hinton/Ken Mathews with Jim Gibbs.

Ian Burrow and Grant Cunard with Norm Crawford.

Chris Freakley with Clarry Robinson.

Peter Johnson/Don Graham/ Kevin Scott/Gary Barlow with DJ.

Roger Elliott with Fred B.

Bob Vance with Bill Ford.

Choc and Kiwi Hounsell with Rory McGovern.

John Molloy also with Jim Gibbs.

I played with most of these guys in the Matamata Jockeys and Stablehands Rugby Teams. Ken Hounsell organised our games.

Mid 60's. Was in Cambridge by the 70's. Nigel Landers was still in Matamata in the early 70's having completed his apprenticeship with Clarry Robinson. He guided me around on the first horse I worked on the Matamata track!

Nigel Landers must have returned to Matamata then Gubes. He did his apprenticeship with Clarrie in the mid 60s but when he won the 1968 Auckland Cup on the Clarrie Robinson trained Bright Chief, Nigel was out of his time and living at Takanini.  

Bright Chief beat home Il Tempo and Noel Riordan by half a length but Riordan fired in a protest. The protest took and hour and ten minutes and whilst it was ongoing Nigel went out and won the next race on Honey Belle beating Elabama by a nose. The protest in the Cup was dismissed just prior to him going out to ride Wavering in the Railway. 

Bright Chief had run fourth in Queen Elizabeth Handicap on the first day and had earlier won the Mitchelson Cup. He was sixth favourite with the favourite for the race being the Eric Rophia trained Janeville.  

Hard case is our Nigel ;)

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

v S I think that other apprentice with Fred was Alan Peters. Later rode trackwork in Wanganui.

I met Alan Peters when I stayed with Kevin Thompson in Wanganui about a million years ago. I think around 1977.  Paul Belsham was Kevin's main stable hand at the time. Alan Peters proudly showed me photo's of himself winning a race further North on a rank outsider.

17 hours ago, blue waters said:

Simon Royal, Peter Rowlands, Paul Asher, Damon Anaki, Wayne Smith, Kim Burke, John Moody, Stephan Stacey, Roger ELliott, Date Donaldson, Kevin Scott, Trevor Harrison.

Out of blue waters list and Rowe,Haitana and vS on a night out,who would be last man standing?:D

blue waters Date Donaldson was with Russell Campbell. You will remember the marble racing track they built there. Epic Sunday morning races! Sadly Date died in a car accident near Te Teko in the late 70's or early 80's. Colin Campbell sadly died of cancer last year at the age of 61. His dad Russell is in his 90's and living in Cambridge.