RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Trident

Black with Brown Sash

I see Paul Young had first starter Clasina Maria win today at the Central Otago meeting. As the colours crossed the line a winner I couldn't help but recall Paul and Ted Lowe in the 1980's with Stortford Lodge and a host of other horses I would follow with confidence. Appropriate also that Jessica Young did the driving. She's come a long way as a driver. A couple of seasons ago I would happily put a line through anything she drove but not so now.

Would have enjoyed the win even more if I'd punted it but enjoyed the win all the same.

Haughty (NZ Cup), Wag ( Stars Travel Miracle Mile), Wing Commander, Dundas, Templar, Randall, Sioux, Winning Note and my little favorite Samson are a few others trained by W E (Ted) Lowe. All except Wag were driven in the main by P D (Paul) Young.

Great names. I especially recall Wing Commander and Dundas who both won about ten or twelve each. Randall and Templar also won their share. All raced around the same time in the early 80's. Good memories.

3 hours ago, TwentY$BilL said:

Haughty (NZ Cup), Wag ( Stars Travel Miracle Mile), Wing Commander, Dundas, Templar, Randall, Sioux, Winning Note and my little favorite Samson are a few others trained by W E (Ted) Lowe. All except Wag were driven in the main by P D (Paul) Young.

Morrie the Maestro drove Wag in the Stars travel miracle mile..a NZ record for a mile at the time

15 minutes ago, TwentY$BilL said:

Yes he did.

I added Haughty in my edit so I should say

All except Haughty and Wag were driven in the main by P D (Paul) Young.

I think you mean Humphrey which was trained by ted lowe. One of my favourite cup races as he beat Cardinal Garrison (loved that horse as a kid)

Haughty was trained by Ben Grice in the early 40s

13 hours ago, lonestar said:

Morrie the Maestro drove Wag in the Stars travel miracle mile..a NZ record for a mile at the time

Another bit of trivia about Wag.He did not race in the colours of Black,Brown Sash.He was owned by Ted Lowes mother who had her own colours of Red and White.

12 hours ago, lonestar said:

I think you mean Humphrey which was trained by ted lowe. One of my favourite cup races as he beat Cardinal Garrison (loved that horse as a kid)

Haughty was trained by Ben Grice in the early 40s

Yes you are right.

Time to purchase some more marbles.

7 minutes ago, kakama said:

The Raider was another good horse, think it reached open class.

Ariemore was another, not 100% sure, but I think he deadheated with Portfolio in the Kurow cup.

I remember it because I had win bet on portfolio, div got halved, was very sad!:D

Stortford Lodge deadheated with Portfolio

The up and coming good ones just don't seem to need to race that early in the season. Jewels and Aust Breeders Crown don't help. Christen Me was an exception to some degree this season.

I was thinking about the Canterbury Park Lounge, the New Brighton Room and the Metropoliton Bar in the old public stand at Addington. Packed on a Wednesday night even.

On ‎3‎/‎01‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎36‎:‎43‎, TwentY$BilL said:

Yes you are right.

Time to purchase some more marbles.

Ben Grice colours were my favourite, Cardinal with a cream sash.  Never see them these days. I wonder if someone still has them.?

39 minutes ago, kakama said:

Kurow was always an early season highlight, now this meeting is average. 

Kurow was always the first meeting of the new season after a month break. Always looked forward to it.