RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

Addictive Habit

I do realise he's the highest rated horse in NZ at present but heck when was the last time a horse in NZ was allotted 65 kg in an Open handicap ?  I think it's a massive  impost and  will be only  competive at WFA now. Also in the open handicap 2100 m a rating 89 is allotted 60 kg  the system is all out of whack.

30 minutes ago, Leggy said:

What's the problem with that?

Weight will stop a train..love him to bits... but Zabeel classic I reckon with Sammy back on Board,

Good f/f odds@ $8,50 if ya want to take on the Handicapper, reckon you,ll get better before race as punters get on 

those down in the weights...Gustavo and Fast Learner IMHO

7 hours ago, puha said:

I do realise he's the highest rated horse in NZ at present but heck when was the last time a horse in NZ was allotted 65 kg in an Open handicap ?  I think it's a massive  impost and  will be only  competive at WFA now. Also in the open handicap 2100 m a rating 89 is allotted 60 kg  the system is all out of whack.

Even if Caterino was an 85 or 86 he would still be carrying 60kg as he is a male and at the top of the handicap in that field just the spread would be different, whats a bit more frightening is to look at some of the fields going around at the moment and see the total lack of males in some of them. As someone has pointed out the policies are certainly coming home to roost.

It's a bit of a perfect storm that's causing this disappearance of males.

They've been harshly treated with this ludicrous and irrational pro female policy NZTR introduced, that's certainly true, but the real hidden killer for males is the diminished return to owners ( in other words cost of racing a horse ) combined with the inexplicable reluctance to shift male horses down in the handicap.

That means horses like Swiper The Fox have to be retired because whilst they are still well and truly capable of winning one and maybe two races per season, they'd be the $25,000 races so the owners bank about $13k per win, then they get a monthly bill of $3000-$3,500 for training plus expenses. 

Spin Doctor is in exactly the same category, it'll come as no surprise that he's been retired now.

That horse of Richardsons, Dubai Shuffle is a good example. That's had 6 starts this campaign, it's won $7,000, say $5,000 net, ran one placing, cost the owners about $20,000 in training fees and expenses, and it's gone up one point net since the beginning of this campaign !!

Any owner with even half a brain quickly works out that a male horse winning two open handicaps per year, banking $26000 net, but who costs $35,000 to have in work for that year is a very bad proposition, and so they dispose of them, retire them.

That same male horse who's been forced into retirement would of course be earning the industry $14,000 in revenue, $2,500 net profit, every time it ran if it had a reason to stay in work of course.

We've had the guts ripped out of our industry this last five years, lives have been torn apart, good people forced out of the game, there's a slew of tracks contemplating closure, chaos has become the norm in this industry, there's no accountability from officials, every week we see infrastructural failure, but the salary earners who don't ever have to take a risk, never spill their blood, or use any energy to put on the show, they've just orchestrated policies and strategies that are killing our game, in between trips abroad and commissioning yet another report into the previous report. 

There we go, that's a good rant, so what's the solution.

1. Get rid of the stupid 2kg female allowance

2. Drop male horses ratings a lot quicker to keep them competitive

3. Pay connections to present their horses to race 

4. Get over this artificial attempt to increase stakes because it's the RTO that matters not the gross stake advertised.

5. Change the 65 grade into two grades not one and make one of the new 65 grades benchmark rated.

6. Apply a maximum rating of 2 points to mid week grade races, even for horses racing out of the handicap.

7. Stop treating the select few trainers who're on first name terms with those at head office preferentially 

8. Any horse coming back from a spell of more than 6 months should be dropped 5 points to allow them to win a race.

9. Introduce a set weight grade for horses that haven't won for the previous year, and if that works consider a grade for non winners in the previous two years.

10. And lastly, get rid of the totally ineffective and dysfunctional Trainers Assn and replace that entity with a body that will actually do something to effect change, because the trainers and jockeys actually have the power to restore this great industry to its rightful place, but they don't have the vision or the courage to make those who're doing the current damage accountable.

Midget great post. Point five. In Australia country meetings they often have Rating 55 races and numerous others below Rating 65. We should be doing the same here. High time we had Claiming Races for gallopers as well. This would extend the Racing life of some older male horses as it has done in our Sister Code! 

Good point Gubes. It's interesting that the CEO of NZTR was a former high ranking, respectable, Aust (NSW) Racing Administrator, prolific racehorse owner, bookmaker(?) amongst other things, so, after all these years in this position in NZ, do you think he has made a difference - for the better ? Or, would you prefer to not comment and just let the current scenario speak for itself? NZ is very much like Qld at the moment and Mark Knophler would be quite at home in both places ! 

12 hours ago, Trump said:

Good point Gubes. It's interesting that the CEO of NZTR was a former high ranking, respectable, Aust (NSW) Racing Administrator, prolific racehorse owner, bookmaker(?) amongst other things, so, after all these years in this position in NZ, do you think he has made a difference - for the better ? Or, would you prefer to not comment and just let the current scenario speak for itself? NZ is very much like Qld at the moment and Mark Knophler would be quite at home in both places ! 

I don't think your talking about the same bloke who's in charge here Trump.

Midget, thank you, a number of us have mooted same, you have expressed a tad more eloquently and in the vain hope Nathan Guy reads this, the industry would be so much better if even only some of your points are addressed and seen to.

I think we have spoken tongue in cheek on many occasions re the failure of management, the threat of 'action' being taken against posters and or commentators has been noted in quite a few overseas territories. What is not understood is to how it is allowed to continue. Against popular opinion Nathan Guy is not stupid, why he persists in allowing John Allen free reign with his subordinates is beyond comprehension. 

People such as yourself, the previous owner of this site, many of the owners, and trainers that post on here should have their voice heard, we all know this site is scanned for want of a better word by sycophants at Petone, either by the bidding of their master, or as they may have so much free time it seems the thing to do to fill in their day, I hope that is not the case, I hope the employees at Petone are in fact hard working, diligent and passionate about racing and deep inside resent going to work Monday as they too see the destruction around them.

When Parliament returns in the new year, I'm hoping that our request for a meeting with Nathan and his boss will result in a positive and my business partners [some from Latin America and one from Asia] will get to meet the power brokers and we will table the lost opportunity for NZ racing [an estimated 7 figure+] that we have now targeted for Argentina. As they have a new Government headed by a business experienced go getter, their Forex has been addressed already and investment is pouring into the country. Until Mr Key, My Guy and Mr Allen address the shortcomings of their underlings, people such as myself and other investors will look elsewhere for positive revenue streams.

Mr Morton has tabled everything needed for long term gain, a little short term pain is a minor inconvenience when the big picture is a blockbuster!......IMO!

2 hours ago, biff said:

Midget, thank you, a number of us have mooted same, you have expressed a tad more eloquently and in the vain hope Nathan Guy reads this, the industry would be so much better if even only some of your points are addressed and seen to.

.....IMO!

You have more faith than me Biff. I don't believe he would have a clue in comprehending anything that was written.  Did you not see the televised NZRB - AGM speeches? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to say that as long as apathy exists in this industry, particularly by the segment of the industry who should/could make the most of their prominence then the sum total of positive change from above will be absolute zero. If you were to get serious about what needs to change and pinpoint exactly-in black and white, maybe with a glossary of terms and possibly even illustrations-what is required and summon collective pressure onto appropriate political channels from not just a segment of the industry but as a whole, including the cocktail party attending elite of the industry, dangle the right people off balconies-fiscally speaking-then affirmative thinking and action might actually achieve something. Instead what happens is some who could act don't, those who do act shouldn't and the group in the middle continue to grow frustrated and things degenerate at a steady rate.

32 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

You have more faith than me Biff. I don't believe he would have a clue in comprehending anything that was written.  Did you not see the televised NZRB - AGM speeches? :rolleyes:

Ted I've been away in South America, did I miss something spectacular? is the file on You Tube perhaps?

32 minutes ago, Canelo said:

I'm sorry to say that as long as apathy exists in this industry, particularly by the segment of the industry who should/could make the most of their prominence then the sum total of positive change from above will be absolute zero. If you were to get serious about what needs to change and pinpoint exactly-in black and white, maybe with a glossary of terms and possibly even illustrations-what is required and summon collective pressure onto appropriate political channels from not just a segment of the industry but as a whole, including the cocktail party attending elite of the industry, dangle the right people off balconies-fiscally speaking-then affirmative thinking and action might actually achieve something. Instead what happens is some who could act don't, those who do act shouldn't and the group in the middle continue to grow frustrated and things degenerate at a steady rate.

Absobloodylutely Canelo.

4 hours ago, biff said:

Ted I've been away in South America, did I miss something spectacular? is the file on You Tube perhaps?

Was screened on Trackside TV Biff. 

Nathan Guy, Glenda Hughes, John Allen all spoke, even Race Cafe got a mention by Glenda I believe (missed her piece).

Have a look on Channel 2 under  NZRB - AGM for thoughts.

Nathan Guy's speech can be found on google. Can't locate any others. 

11 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Was screened on Trackside TV Biff. 

Nathan Guy, Glenda Hughes, John Allen all spoke, even Race Cafe got a mention by Glenda I believe (missed her piece).

Have a look on Channel 2 under  NZRB - AGM for thoughts.

Nathan Guy's speech can be found on google. Can't locate any others. 

Thanks Ted.

11 hours ago, bloke said:

Nathan Clown not Stupid? Is that really you Biff? I think you need a holiday mate.

Holidays coming Bloke, Christmas Day!....oh hang on, mares and foals to feed, so a bus mans holiday. I was trying to be PC with Nathan, but you saw through me......would Nathan do you think?

20 hours ago, rdytdy said:

That's interesting rdytdy re Glenda's comments, I recall Nerula being adamant that Race Café could not influence the powers that be of the racing industry.

Maybe Biff can influence Nathan Clown?

55 minutes ago, bloke said:

That's interesting rdytdy re Glenda's comments, I recall Nerula being adamant that Race Café could not influence the powers that be of the racing industry.

Maybe Biff can influence Nathan Clown?

I think that they both live on the Kapiti Coast [Biff and Nathan] so one of us should arrange an appointment for the two of them. L.O.L.

Just watched the replay of the NZRB - AGM>

I quote Glenda " I was so pleased to see for the first time in the history of the Racing Board we were able to make good changes without having to deal with them on Race Cafe."

And she has finally opened a TAB account and loves all her texts of her favourite jockeys and horse tracker. i wonder if she has used it. :)

15 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Just watched the replay of the NZRB - AGM>

I quote Glenda " I was so pleased to see for the first time in the history of the Racing Board we were able to make good changes without having to deal with them on Race Cafe."

And she has finally opened a TAB account and loves all her texts of her favourite jockeys and horse tracker. i wonder if she has used it. :)

Absolute cutting edge behaviour by our leaders.

Next they'll be telling us:

TTT a success - no issues with co mingling - tracks in perfect condition - changing the running rail every 2 minutes gives punters more confidence - huge carry forward pool of 4000 going into the next race - Nathan Guy knows what type of bet the TTT is - 2kg female allowance has been a roaring success - Du Pledge Me smiling when he comes back to scale a winner (as one scribe put it "face like a slapped arse") - Darryl Lang never bashed a pensioner with an accomplice and cattle prod - Brent Wall - they treat punters like highly valued customers - you can go on and on and on with this list!

The integrity/honesty from those that supposedly are to take this industry forward just isn't there.

I'm convinced they treat RC participants with a fair bit of contempt.

I was invited to Ellerslie (around 7 years ago) and spoke to a few of TAB hierarchy. They asked me what I thought of the current state of play in regards to racing as a whole.

I explained to them: 1. how a new betting platform is required in the vain of BF. 2. Rail was out 12m and told them that the track was f....ed and punters are turned of by the constant moving of the rail. 3. A new bet type that punters can chase down in the vain of Pick 7(a pool that will mostly hover over 1million).

The response was - You're not one of those Race Cafe conspiracy theorists?

19 hours ago, rdytdy said:

I thought Biff was Wairarapa based.  Not far away though. 

Have you seen the ad ''Move to Masterton'' Ted? there's still time you know, you can work your way back home.......it's a Mediteranean climate here don't you know....40 wineries within a short drive, or walk, warm/hot summers, great homekill,......read into that what you like......it's GODZONE here, Otaki can keep Nathan, we'll keep Opaki thank you very much.