RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
MS26

Good investment or not???

From TheRaces NZ Twitter (https://twitter.com/TheRacesNZ)

http://www.theraces.co.nz/files/dshr-races/Southland_RC_CATR_update_for_The_Races.pdf

"Southland’s Christmas at the Races has a new twist! New Zealand’s largest Christmas racing meeting is also going to be New Zealand’s first phantom race meeting. Southland Race Club will be hosting Christmas at the Races at Ascot Park Racecourse on Saturday 12 December. Guests will be able to enjoy all the fun and festivities of the day at Ascot Park, however as this will be a phantom meeting, no horses will actually be on the track. Instead the racing will be beamed in live from Winton and shown on big screens around the track.

Unfortunately the racing has had to be moved as extensive repair work needed to get the track ready for raceday has not been able to be completed due to recent inclement weather. Ensuring the safety of both the jockeys and the horses is paramount and the club has made the difficult decision to move the racing component of the event after consultation with stakeholders. The Southland Racing Club will still be providing a fantastic day of entertainment and will be welcoming guests on course both at the prebooked marquees and tables, and those who come along on the day – gates open at 11.00am.

The club has ordered additional big screens TVs to line the track so that all of the racing action can be viewed. TAB facilities will also be available for guests to punt throughout the day. Any guests who have pre-booked but feel that these circumstances no longer meet the needs of their group will be provided a full refund by the club - please notify Southland Racing Club by Friday 4 December as marquees start going up on Saturday."

Thoughts? Would you still attend?

Personally i like to see the horses racing but i have been to Xmas racing functions where a large portion of the crowd arent racing people and havent even watched a race.Will be interesting to hear from anybody that goes as to what atmosphere etc was like,This could be a way for racing clubs to make extra money on big race days,eg Melbourne Cup,NZ Trotting cup.On these days just about every pub is full so why not the local racing clubs try to get some of this money.Have entertainment,prizes,good food and guest speakers ,and the fact there no horses there becomes somewhat irrelevant.They could  become a bit of a fan zone like for Rugby,Soccer world cups.

1 hour ago, richie said:

Personally i like to see the horses racing but i have been to Xmas racing functions where a large portion of the crowd arent racing people and havent even watched a race.Will be interesting to hear from anybody that goes as to what atmosphere etc was like,This could be a way for racing clubs to make extra money on big race days,eg Melbourne Cup,NZ Trotting cup.On these days just about every pub is full so why not the local racing clubs try to get some of this money.Have entertainment,prizes,good food and guest speakers ,and the fact there no horses there becomes somewhat irrelevant.They could  become a bit of a fan zone like for Rugby,Soccer world cups.

Agree Richie. For a lot of people the experience is just as important as the sport itself. Plenty of people head to pubs and such to watch the All Blacks play when they could just as easily have watched it at home.

When I first saw this, I thought was an ill-timed April Fools joke.. the idea of "Phantom Races" gave me a laugh, but in hindsight I can understand the club wanting to still make some money by providing this alternative.

I would hope they had dedicated feeds from Winton - providing the ability for punters to watch the horses in the birdcage/when the horses go out on the track, rather than just having the screens tuned into Trackside 1/2 with 2-3 minute pre-race coverage (usually dribble) only.

If the Southland Racing Club had really had the best interests of racing in Southland (and NZ for that matter) in their radar they would of closed their track at Ascot Park after their February Gold Cup meeting and undertaken the repair/upgrading of the track as recommended by the NZTR track convenor, in March when the weather was fine and the track was at its driest, instead of completing a patch up job (like they have undertaken other patch-up jobs on a number of other occasions over the years) in the middle of winter which meant they had little chance of the track recovering for the Christmas at the Races meeting. No doubt it will not be that long before further meetings are 'called off' because the Committee have chosen to do this type of repair rather than putting in lateral drains around the circumference of the track draining into a collector drain inside the inside rail.  While this type of repair is costly and needs the track to be closed, probably for a full season, the end result would mean a track that can to be relied on to provide a good surface in all weather conditions.  This track has been a constant problem for many years (at least thirty) with many meetings called off because of the state of the track.

Their decision and late notification to the public is an extremely bad look for racing and one that should never have happened.  The whole meeting should have been transferred to another track in Southland some months ago so the public knew what they were getting for their money.  Now workplaces, etc who wanted to have their Xmas functions and businesses who have invited clients to a 'race meeting' are left with only two weeks to make alternative arrangements if they do not want to attend a 'Phantum' meeting.  People need to be able to move their tents and function to the Winton venue should they wish, where adequate betting and bar facilities have to be made available to them. 

Shame on you Southland Racing Club!

Note:  It was great to see good racing on an excellent track with much on course support at the Winton twilight meeting on Friday.

2 hours ago, forpositiveracing said:

If the Southland Racing Club had really had the best interests of racing in Southland (and NZ for that matter) in their radar they would of closed their track at Ascot Park after their February Gold Cup meeting and undertaken the repair/upgrading of the track as recommended by the NZTR track convenor, in March when the weather was fine and the track was at its driest, instead of completing a patch up job (like they have undertaken other patch-up jobs on a number of other occasions over the years) in the middle of winter which meant they had little chance of the track recovering for the Christmas at the Races meeting. No doubt it will not be that long before further meetings are 'called off' because the Committee have chosen to do this type of repair rather than putting in lateral drains around the circumference of the track draining into a collector drain inside the inside rail.  While this type of repair is costly and needs the track to be closed, probably for a full season, the end result would mean a track that can to be relied on to provide a good surface in all weather conditions.  This track has been a constant problem for many years (at least thirty) with many meetings called off because of the state of the track.

Their decision and late notification to the public is an extremely bad look for racing and one that should never have happened.  The whole meeting should have been transferred to another track in Southland some months ago so the public knew what they were getting for their money.  Now workplaces, etc who wanted to have their Xmas functions and businesses who have invited clients to a 'race meeting' are left with only two weeks to make alternative arrangements if they do not want to attend a 'Phantum' meeting.  People need to be able to move their tents and function to the Winton venue should they wish, where adequate betting and bar facilities have to be made available to them. 

Shame on you Southland Racing Club!

Note:  It was great to see good racing on an excellent track with much on course support at the Winton twilight meeting on Friday.

I 2nd that!!! Might need to study up on front runners if I'm going to have a punt I'd say. 

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎17‎:‎15‎, nek minute said:

I 2nd that!!! Might need to study up on front runners if I'm going to have a punt I'd say. 

Horses coming from behind have a bigger chance of winner at Winton than Ascot Park so no study needed. 

On 11/28/2015, 10:42:19, Todamax101 said:

Agree Richie. For a lot of people the experience is just as important as the sport itself. Plenty of people head to pubs and such to watch the All Blacks play when they could just as easily have watched it at home.

Absolutely.. I've been to a lot of tracks in my life where there is live racing but if the crowd is not happy and excited and having a good time it's dull... and if you get the right atmosphere and folk enjoying themselves, whether they are watching it live or on a telly... they will have just as much fun.. plus as you have a captured audience you can run comps on the next six live races - quick fire etc and everyone will be watching them and getting involved .. so the options are much greater for a good time for the holiday season.

7 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

Remind me of all the other all weather track ventures there have been in NZ. That's what I am referring to.

Have their been any? Castlepoint is about the only one I can think of.

Did Southland read Racecafe?

I posted this in July.

On 7/23/2015, 6:22:19, puha said:

. As a side note Taranaki did 70 k on course with no racing last Saturday.That would put a few of the larger clubs to shame .

Thats startling and impressive considering the other NZ meeting cancelled as well. 

Phantom meetings (i.e. no horses) were very popular in ASia a number of years ago. I am wondering with all the latest technology does a club need racing on its course to stage a successful meeting. With all sorts of activities taking place on numerous racecourses e.g. shows, cultural events, markets, sporting events clubs could do more in conducting these phantom meetings along side the events