RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jimsmith

What would you do?

Hypothetical situation. You own and run a business. You've just run a multi million dollar advertising campaign. Your stock is flying off the shelves and you're noticing lots of new customers as a result of your successful advertising campaign.

You well appreciate that half the battle is just getting customers to walk in your front door.

What would you do :

1) Invest in your business,make sure you have enough stock,stimulate your customers and keep them coming back,keep the momentum going forward?

or

2) Sit on your hands?

We've just had a very successful cup week. There will be a few newbies wanting to carry on their new found interest in harness racing. There will be a lot of fringe punters looking to rekindle their interest some more after being woken from their slumber in cup week. Then we have seasoned punters who enjoyed cup week very much and are not ready to put their cue back in the rack.

I generally only bet on the big race days but am known to be tempted outside of that. I was going to top up my account and have a nibble today. I changed my mind. What a load of crap going round. First off we have four pathetic harness races from Yonkers in New York. Very poor quality races. There are numerous runners aged 12 and 13. These are often veterans that couldn't keep up anymore in 3k races at Redcliffe etc. I wouldn't bet on these races on principal but the fact is the meeting has 12 races yet the NZ TAB are only allowing betting on 4 so they don't clash with the 40 million dog races there are today over Australasia. If you are going to cover a meeting and encourage Harness punters to have a go why restrict it to 4 poxy races? Is the NZ TAB encouraging NZ punters to bet offshore? It's like they are saying "here's four races to enjoy. If you did enjoy them and made a dollar you will have to open an offshore account to bet on the other 8 races". NSW TAB covering all 12.

I enjoy quality United States Harness Racing but when do we ever see any of that on the NZ Racing TV channel? NZ punters could be forgiven for thinking the only races they have in the States are for 13 year old has beens at Yonkers.

So I look closer to home. Not remotely interested in dog racing. I'd have more interest in betting on camel or hippo racing.

I see there is a Wagga harness racing meeting. Racing for 3k stakes. Similar arrangement at Albion Park. No thanks. If the horse is any good it will only race in those kinds of races to get it ready for something more meaningful. Can't bet into that with confidence. If the horse is only a battler who warrants racing for 3k then no appeal there.

Seems to me that the NZ TAB have encouraged / invited all sorts of customers into their empty shop. The percentage of customers that will return to a shop that had empty shelves the last time they visited must be very low.

What's that saying? Good looks will get you in the door...but they won't keep you in the room. 

Jim. 

You are dead right in regard to trying to encourage the newbies to stay involved in the harness racing.

Dont really know how showing American racing is detrimental to retaining the newbies.

I personally don't touch American racing as no fixed odds and don't know the form.

The pools are too small on the tote to invest in my opinion.

I think it is good to have racing from around the world on if people want to have a dabble and I don't think it costs the TAB a lot to screen them.

What does annoy me a bit is when a harness race finishes and they switch over to a greyhound race showing people walking the dogs down to the boxes.

What is that about?

I prefer to see the after the harness race including owners loving it in the birdcage after winning a race.

I think the enjoyment showing on the faces of the winning owners would have more show in enticing new people into ownership including syndicates

The owners of greyhounds don't tend to be oncourse.

21 minutes ago, Brodie said:

What does annoy me a bit is when a harness race finishes and they switch over to a greyhound race showing people walking the dogs down to the boxes.

What is that about?

I prefer to see the after the harness race including owners loving it in the birdcage after winning a race.

I think the enjoyment showing on the faces of the winning owners would have more show in enticing new people into ownership including syndicates

The owners of greyhounds don't tend to be oncourse.

Maybe because in Australia the greyhound industry is pretty much keeping harness racing afloat... Go and do some research and find out what % of total turnover in Australia comes from greyhounds compared to Australia, it may shock you as an obvious harness fan boy, and help you to get some perspective of who's really paying their way. 

ESPECIALLY when you compare the cost of training/buying/owning. 

Gonsta. You are probably right in Oz but I was talking about NZ like on Sunday at Mot. They switch straight away over to Manukau greyhounds.

Does anyone pick a winner from watching the dogs walk to the boxes.

Perhaps the programming of the harness to the dogs was too close?

54 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Gonsta. You are probably right in Oz but I was talking about NZ like on Sunday at Mot. They switch straight away over to Manukau greyhounds.

Does anyone pick a winner from watching the dogs walk to the boxes.

Perhaps the programming of the harness to the dogs was too close?

Does anyone pick a winner watching an owner celebrate? Does anyone pick a winner watching a horse walk to the start? Does any mug punter betting on every race back a winner of the next dog race with no lead in time like your suggesting? 

It's all about turnover, that's the TAB's job to maximise turnover, that doesn't happen watching owners celebrate like YOU want to watch.

The amount of times that dog racing gets limited lead up time due to false starts, running late in harness racing is countless. greyhound racing may not be your thing but harness racing isn't mine either. You just need to follow betfair at Albion park harness to realise betting on harness racing is for mugs if your not in the know. 

You claim to be a pretty good punter from what you post on here Brodie, continually saying you can't get on for anything more than 2k. If you ever want a punt off where you bet on harness and I bet on dogs let me know! Would be interested to see how good you are before a race. 

Gonsta.

Fair enough regards your comments if you into the dogs.

All I know is that not many people go to the greyhounds in Christchurch apart from the trainers.

Thanks for the challenge, would be interesting as I don't know how good you are on the dogs, but You would need to be pretty good I would say.

I believe that investing on harness is more profitable for some than the dogs.

Are you restricted Gonsta?

Do you prefer to watch greyhounds over harness?

35 minutes ago, GONSTA said:

Does anyone pick a winner watching an owner celebrate? Does anyone pick a winner watching a horse walk to the start? Does any mug punter betting on every race back a winner of the next dog race with no lead in time like your suggesting? 

It's all about turnover, that's the TAB's job to maximise turnover, that doesn't happen watching owners celebrate like YOU want to watch.

The amount of times that dog racing gets limited lead up time due to false starts, running late in harness racing is countless. greyhound racing may not be your thing but harness racing isn't mine either. You just need to follow betfair at Albion park harness to realise betting on harness racing is for mugs if your not in the know. 

You claim to be a pretty good punter from what you post on here Brodie, continually saying you can't get on for anything more than 2k. If you ever want a punt off where you bet on harness and I bet on dogs let me know! Would be interested to see how good you are before a race. 

You dislike Harness but feel compelled to come onto a harness thread and bleat about false starts holding up yet another dog race. One of hundreds they have every day. I can't stand dog racing regardless of how good you think it is. It should have it's own channel so it does not impact on the other codes. I find it impossible to watch a dog race without thinking about things like live baiting etc etc. I'd bet on hippo racing before dog racing. Well done for making a dollar off dog racing. Good for you.

Anyone who bets on every race on Trackside regardless of code will lose but what has that got to do with anything? I also dislike meetings like Albion Park low grade as it's invariably suspect in one way or another but that does not reflect on the premier product of harness racing.

I appreciate you'd rather go straight to the next dog race rather than watch an owner celebrate but not everyone feels that way. If it's just another race then move right along but if it's a major race I believe pausing for a breath to see jubilant owners celebrating winning the Melbourne Cup, NZ Cup,Auckland Cup,Golden Slipper etc is good for the game. I find the revolving door of races on Trackside a total turn off. No appeal whatsoever to me but I appreciate the bewildered and or compulsive gamblers will keep having a go on the next race to go. You will see the same sort of punters at Sky City playing the one arm bandits.

Getting back to the subject matter. Are the TAB and Trackside encouraging punters into their shops at this time when those shops have empty shelves?  

12 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Gonsta.

Fair enough regards your comments if you into the dogs.

All I know is that not many people go to the greyhounds in Christchurch apart from the trainers.

Thanks for the challenge, would be interesting as I don't know how good you are on the dogs, but You would need to be pretty good I would say.

I believe that investing on harness is more profitable for some than the dogs.

Are you restricted Gonsta?

Do you prefer to watch greyhounds over harness?

I definitely prefer studying / punting / watching greyhounds over harness for sure. I find NZ harness racing rather monotonous, drivers lacking initiative, horses not put into races, let alone the 'brotherly' love when it comes to certain races. You can't tell me when theirs 3 brothers in a race they don't know what each other are going to do / talk about it in private? Let alone the weak stipes that wouldn't know when a driver is trying let alone giving the punter some integrity.

Most harness fans in NZ would call NZ greyhound racing monotonous, probably a fair call on occassions, I find the form to be alot more honest and a lot easier to study properly than wondering what 10 drivers are thinking. 

I'm not restricted, I do the majority of my betting on betfair tho. Pretty hard to get on for a decent amount the majority of time but the odds are still generally better just before race time even taking into consideration betfair commission.

i just find it rather interesting you claim to be such a successful punter on here but don't even know what the market % meant. Unless your 'in the know' I have my suspicions about you. Feel free to post us battlers a tip some time aye :wub::ph34r:

4 hours ago, jimsmith said:

Hypothetical situation. You own and run a business. You've just run a multi million dollar advertising campaign. Your stock is flying off the shelves and you're noticing lots of new customers as a result of your successful advertising campaign.

You well appreciate that half the battle is just getting customers to walk in your front door.

What would you do :

1) Invest in your business,make sure you have enough stock,stimulate your customers and keep them coming back,keep the momentum going forward?

or

2) Sit on your hands?

We've just had a very successful cup week. There will be a few newbies wanting to carry on their new found interest in harness racing. There will be a lot of fringe punters looking to rekindle their interest some more after being woken from their slumber in cup week. Then we have seasoned punters who enjoyed cup week very much and are not ready to put their cue back in the rack.

I generally only bet on the big race days but am known to be tempted outside of that. I was going to top up my account and have a nibble today. I changed my mind. What a load of crap going round. First off we have four pathetic harness races from Yonkers in New York. Very poor quality races. There are numerous runners aged 12 and 13. These are often veterans that couldn't keep up anymore in 3k races at Redcliffe etc. I wouldn't bet on these races on principal but the fact is the meeting has 12 races yet the NZ TAB are only allowing betting on 4 so they don't clash with the 40 million dog races there are today over Australasia. If you are going to cover a meeting and encourage Harness punters to have a go why restrict it to 4 poxy races? Is the NZ TAB encouraging NZ punters to bet offshore? It's like they are saying "here's four races to enjoy. If you did enjoy them and made a dollar you will have to open an offshore account to bet on the other 8 races". NSW TAB covering all 12.

I enjoy quality United States Harness Racing but when do we ever see any of that on the NZ Racing TV channel? NZ punters could be forgiven for thinking the only races they have in the States are for 13 year old has beens at Yonkers.

So I look closer to home. Not remotely interested in dog racing. I'd have more interest in betting on camel or hippo racing.

I see there is a Wagga harness racing meeting. Racing for 3k stakes. Similar arrangement at Albion Park. No thanks. If the horse is any good it will only race in those kinds of races to get it ready for something more meaningful. Can't bet into that with confidence. If the horse is only a battler who warrants racing for 3k then no appeal there.

Seems to me that the NZ TAB have encouraged / invited all sorts of customers into their empty shop. The percentage of customers that will return to a shop that had empty shelves the last time they visited must be very low.

What's that saying? Good looks will get you in the door...but they won't keep you in the room. 

I agree with a fair bit of what you say especially round the U.S. Races, it's always baffled me that they take some but not others. 

Just in in terms of your point around the lack of meetings or the stakes being races for in Australia, is that really there fault? Are there other higher stakes meetings that they arnt taking besting on?

Gonsta.

thanks for your response.

You have your suspicions about me because I didn't know about framing the market at a certain percentage.

I still can't understand why the heck the Bookies set a book at not fair value?

If I was a Bookie I would want the most people I. Could possibly get betting with me, to make the most money.

Why would punters invest on a horse at not good value.

I generally don't bet on the win so  the percentage didn't matter to me.

When fixed odds originally came out they were always at  fair odds but they have got tighter and tighter

If you are not restricted by the TAB I feel that they obviously do not see you as a threat to them.

My opinion is that I can't believe that you think dog races are more exciting than harness!!!!!

I have not got a Betfair account but I have a couple overseas and their odds don't appear any better than NZ and they don't bring out the odds very early either.

Obviously you enjoy your dogs and I will enjoy the harness!!!!!!

I agree with Jim. Greyhounds are horrible but you were wrong about one thing Jim. Greyhounds don't affect the other codes. How often do you see greyhounds racing with Gallops? Almost never. But the trots have to share with the monotonous greyhounds. Might as well go down the pub and play the pokies as bet on greyhounds.

Regards your first post here Jim. On behalf of all industry participants I would like to apologise to you for not having the owner or horse population to provide full time top class harness racing every day of the week.

Will you please accept our apologies Jim? Cheers