RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Jonah Lomu RIP

Jonah is Rugby's  best known player in the World.  A few years ago we hosted some Brazilian students and even in a country that does not play Rugby they knew all about him but could not name any other All Black.

Prior to this year's Rugby World Cup in England he was mobbed everywhere he went over there.

Cubes recalls the little kid who said to the All Blacks :

" Remember rugby is a team game ......so you other 14 fellas should pass the ball to Jonah ! "

In a world when the words  "Legend" and "Champion" are bandied all to frequently , Jonah stands tall .

RIP

I had the unfortunate pleasure to be at Twickenham for the semi when the French rolled us.

Saw the best of Jonah that day - scored a try few others would have - and after the match when all of us Kiwi's were grumpy and sad and bitter - he was a champion in how he took it.

It is a mark of the man that all of us feel a real sadness at his passing today.

RIP a truly great man.

Jonah's story is a wonderful slice of NZ life really, and I think that's to some extent why his parting creates such a huge hole in us as New Zealanders, because everyone can find a little something of themselves in this giant of a man.

A son of poor immigrants, a legendary tough disciplinarian for a father, then finding his own spectacular way in life down the well walked road called rugby.

Privately his life was turmoil and flux, multi marriages, estranged from his parents at one stage, marginalised for aligning himself with the National Party, and of course his greatest burden, those dodgy kidneys.

According to some he was having dialysis up to three times a day, right up until the very end, and you never would have known.

He was one of life's 'givers' though, with a seemingly endless appetite to share his life and time with anyone and everyone.

It's all a bit unreal, unfair I suppose, almost a sense of being robbed of someone who traversed the global stage like few before him have, and even fewer after him are likely to ever do.

God rest his soul and look after those he left behind, especially those two beautiful little boys.

RIP you big quick Kiwi.

Some touching tributes from the Uk and European who's who of rugby over here.

Jonah was so highly respected on and off the field.

A legend who can now be without pain and be in peace .

Thanks for the great memories and rest in peace big fella

I see his wife has had created a givealittle page to provide for their 2 kids. She is getting slaughtered on social media for it as its less than 24hrs and is she really a needy person?

I personally agree with those postings also, its a terrible look and this will cast a big shadow over the great man and create much speculation.

Why would a person who had mega endorsements need charitable donations? who only a week ago was holidaying in UAE?

If the Rugby Union was smart they would approach her to remove it asap, its a terrible look for all concerned.

Is it actually legit or someone taking the piss? 

I remember my mate going to a Roller Mills tournament in the 95. Jonah met all the players in the tournament at McDonald's and shouted them. Always stuck with me that was a huge act of generosity and shows he was a top bloke even as a young guy when success could have gone to his head.

All in all this is a good charity but hey when the people receiving are better off than those giving it seems a bit rich. I know a family in my town who are loaded and still constantly receiving financial support/fundraising from the community while up the road in the poor part of town parents of kids with cancer or terminal illness doing it hard get nothing. 

Agreed hesi. I suppose it is about the kids getting the support they need irrelevant of the parents financial standing. In the instance I cited it's a case of the social standing of the parents allowing them to gain more support as opposed to the lesser known families who struggle along in relative obscurity. It's just an isolated instance where I have made this observation and it doesn't go for these charities as a whole who do amazing things. Its a bit off the point of this thread sorry. I just feel it's a bit bad taste ask the wider public to give money when what should be the focus is mourning and celebrating a life.

Not quite sure about Kidney Kids, I am not on social media so don't come across many of these charities. I know of Give A Little as its quite often on TV. I understand it's there to allow people access to treatments or programmes they could not normally attain by their own means hence opening it up to the public to bridge the gap. As far as Mrs Lomu goes it's nothing like that and is a bit counter to the personality of her late husband. People will always give to what they feel is a worthy cause but playing on the heartstrings of the public at a time when emotions are so raw is a bit shit and also dumb to bring negative attention to the family at an already hard time. 

2 minutes ago, Swoopa said:

Is it me? Or has McCaw taken some poor PR advice for the timing of his press conference? ?

Is it so to flog some xmas gear? 

Hang your head in shame PR people:angry:

I thought the same thing Swoopa. Pretty poor form

3 hours ago, Swoopa said:

Is it me? Or has McCaw taken some poor PR advice for the timing of his press conference? ?

Is it so to flog some xmas gear? 

Hang your head in shame PR people:angry:

Seems very odd that McCaw didn't want to announce his retirement straight after the World Cup because he didn't want to deflect attention from what the team had achieved then he turns around and does this.HMMMMMMM

Why is it necessary to hold a press conference to announce a retirement anyway.

15 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Seems very odd that McCaw didn't want to announce his retirement straight after the World Cup because he didn't want to deflect attention from what the team had achieved then he turns around and does this.HMMMMMMM

Why is it necessary to hold a press conference to announce a retirement anyway.

Oh get a life you guys!! McCaw went to the NZRU after Jonah passed away to ask if they should postpone his retirement press conference, they decided it wasn't necessary and I don't think Jonah would have wanted him to either.

R.I.P big fella you were my childhood hero!