RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Franco Ice

Pentire

Tuesday really put the icing on a fine stallion career.

13 Group 1's with a number in Oz, says it all really.

I can't recall a stallion siring the winner of the Newmarket (Recurring) and the Cup.

Not bad value at 13K.

Classic stamina with a turn of foot. It's still a preety good recipe.

Now Xtravagant in the 2000 gns. He's a very good stallion alright,takes his time to do the job but if you can get one,especially a colt you have a right royal chance.

I understand his fee is now $9500, announced prior to the cup.

As we all know Pentire did it the hard way from the beginning; small crop numbers not standing at what you would class as a "commercial" stud and has been grossly underrated as a stallion throughout his career despite getting consistent G1 success. Good to see him remind us how good he really is.

On Sun Nov 08 2015 12:14:00 GMT+1300, Breeder said:

Canelo

I think it is the old story of buyers not wanting to wait and be patient with staying types which is what Pentires were perceived to be even though he has thrown some very good milers and the odd very good sprinter.

That's true breeder, at sale time he has only ever really been lukewarm for that reason but in saying that his progeny have always been respected by the Australian buyers who probably appreciate a decent middle distance/staying sire than most other buyers. It's very true that perception is reality, even in racing. Had Pentire been commercial from the start as in the case of say Darci Brahma for example he may have had a dramatically different record as a sire on account of foal crop numbers, placement, endorsement-these factors weren't exactly in favour of Pentire yet he has a great record at stud and you have to wonder pound-for-pound is he actually better than he is percieved to be.

On Sun Nov 08 2015 12:14:00 GMT+1300, Breeder said:

Canelo

I think it is the old story of buyers not wanting to wait and be patient with staying types which is what Pentires were perceived to be even though he has thrown some very good milers and the odd very good sprinter.

Pentire is currently leading the Australian sires premiership due obviously to the one result but interestingly the next best NZ based sires-excluding Zabeel-are down the list Savabeel(27th) and Tavistock(28th). However it is only spring but still it is what it is he is and Pentire is at the top. Well done 

I'd be willing to bet at this stage of the season, that Savabeel will finish higher up the table than Pentire, at seasons end. He is quite simply doing an amazing job! The good horses just keep coming..week in, week out. That's no knock on Pentire - I am rapt for the people involved with him and agree he is an underrated sire. However, Savabeel seems able to upgrade mares and produce top class horses on a regular basis. I have said it a number of times, but I'll say it again - IMO he is the successor to his great sire.

Potentially Lloyd yes. At this stage he is a slow burn, continually producing good horses but has not had a superstar, yet, not like Zabeel who early on set fire in Australia with Might And Power, Octagonal, Champagne and on and on he went. When you ruminate those names you appreciate how great he was-instantly. I expect Sav to have a star soon, I thought that may be Pasadena Girl but to this point hasn't reached the level I thought she might and Lucia is a good mare but also not a star, you get the feeling a topliner is just around the cornery with him though. Think he and Reset by far the best of his sons with Preferment to come but Lonhro is probably the best continuation of the sireline so far in my opinion. 

Well when I was at Moroney's we had 4..

Xcellent,  Tinsel Town  ,Resolution  & One For The Money

The only one that was (how will I phrase this ?) Compliant with the system, was One For The Money.

He won a couple of races but ended up down I the South Island & didn,t do too much

The other 3 ,With all there Bitchiness were real fighters..real racehorses.

Albeit with there Idiosyncrasis...