RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
crustyngrizzly

ponderosa miss next start.

Ponderosa Miss is lining up on Saturday at Flemington over 2000 metres when there is a race over 2600 metres there for the taking.After her last race at Rotorua her trainer said that;;::she was ready to run 2 miles now and yet she's only going over 2000 on Saturday.

I also see that Lisa Allpress isn't going over to ride her.

Interesting to see an article in the Times this morning saying that missing a start in the Melbourne cup may have been a blessing in disguise.This is because for the first four days in Aus she was off her food and water so when she missed a start in the cup they opted for plan B.Plan A was the cup so the question should be asked should she have got a start in the cup when were they going to tell the public that she had been off her food and water.Seems to me that

a horse need every bit of luck to win the cup and being off her food and water could have had an adverse effect on her chances.

To me it would seem that the punters would/may have been shafted again.

14 hours ago, gubellini said:

Beat one home. Four days of not eating or drinking properly obviously took its toll.

And thats my point.Would they have started her in the MC had she got in and when would they have informed the punters that she had not been drinking or eating as expected.

They can't seem to decide with her what type of distance she likes, or what track conditions, she just lines up whenever and wherever.

With a more focused programme I'm sure she could have won many more races for connections, although they obviously did a great job getting her back from her serious head injury.

She may not be as good as we think. Maybe she has done the miles and time for the broodmare paddock. We seem to lack class horses in nz. Mongolian khan been most promising for sumtime. I wonder if our trainers have forgotten  how to train stayers. Our cup fields seem glorified hack races, sum shouldn't be there. Also race times over extreme distances reflect this. Or is it the owners wanting to have horses to the races to quick. Seems a struggle to get a nz horse good enough to make the field in the melbourne cup. Anyone remember our last dour stayer in the last 10 years. If so be keen to hear. Nothing springs to my mind.

41 minutes ago, Shad said:

She may not be as good as we think. Maybe she has done the miles and time for the broodmare paddock. We seem to lack class horses in nz. Mongolian khan been most promising for sumtime. I wonder if our trainers have forgotten  how to train stayers. Our cup fields seem glorified hack races, sum shouldn't be there. Also race times over extreme distances reflect this. Or is it the owners wanting to have horses to the races to quick. Seems a struggle to get a nz horse good enough to make the field in the melbourne cup. Anyone remember our last dour stayer in the last 10 years. If so be keen to hear. Nothing springs to my mind.

Who shot thebarman?? 

Our staying ranks aren't nearly as diabolical as Australia when you think about it... They breed for speed a lot more than we seem to, they all want to win some race called the golden slipper apparently! 

Fair enough. Aussies are struggling to, shame really their famous race dominated by overseas raiders. Who shot the barman a fair sort i guess. Won a average Auckland cup and has gone ok in aussie. Maybe we shall see the demise of the stayers. Seems like it already.

5 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

They can't seem to decide with her what type of distance she likes, or what track conditions, she just lines up whenever and wherever.

With a more focused programme I'm sure she could have won many more races for connections, although they obviously did a great job getting her back from her serious head injury.

Yes she is a top mare at her best, so it's a bit sad to see her so out of form and running around in these sorts of races. If it was me I'd give her a break and aim for Brisbane, 4 of her 5 wins have come on slow tracks. 

Beautiful. Nice win by the mare.

You guys are tough markers.

She has had nine starts since winning the Easter on 18 April last year on that slow track and they have all been in black type races. After that tough run in the Easter she backed up a week later in the wfa G2 Travis Stakes where she was trapped three wide without cover and naturally weakened the last 200m.

Spelled and fresh up in August in the wfa G2  Foxbridge Plate she ran home late over the 1200m less than 5 lengths behind Addictive Habit.

On to Hastings and the wfa G1 Makfi she again ran on over the 1400m four lengths behind Kawi.

Next was the Livamol Classic wfa G1 in October over 2040m finishing seventh, five lengths behind Addictive Habit after being badly checked at the 300m.

Two weeks later and she ran second behind Celebrity Miss (who had run third in the Livamol) at Rotorua over 1950 in the listed Jakkaberry Classic.

Over to Flemington and ran second last in the G2 Matriarch Stakes after trapped three wide without cover 8.5 lengths behind Lucia Valentina.

In her other race over there she ran 10th of 17 in the in the listed Ballarat Cup finishing just over 4 lengths behind Junoob after getting held up.

Back to NZ and Boxing Day in the wfa G1 Zabeel Classic she was travelling nicely turning in and couldn't get racing room until very late.

She hasn't been racing against mugs and on her run in the Zabeel she only needed a clear run today in this open handicap which she got and the result was never in any doubt.   

Any excuses for her poor run yesterday?

Seemed to have every chance although it was only a sprint up,the straight and she was on a very firm track which  she has a very poor record on.

Hopefully she pulled up OK and they keep her to tracks with a cut in them or they will just break her down.

11 minutes ago, kakama said:

Could be the new Sir Slick! Pathetic run in a shit field. Funny, connections after the race said track was too firm for the horse????

Well, hello, why the hell did you start it then, you knew what the track would be like??? Feel sorry for the punter, and NO, I didn't have a bet in the race.

Send it to Aussie, could race for good money each week in the autumn.

Its their horse they can do with as they please... when you are paying the bills for one you can too...cheers.

I didn't think she looked that great a bet on the good track with 58.5kgs against a couple of others particularly Rose Of Virginia to whom she had to give 5.5kgs. Rose Of Virginia's run for second in the City Of Auckland Cup was a top effort on an off track and ROV's five wins have all been on good tracks with three of those wins at Ellerslie (make it six now and now four at Ellerslie).

Anyway I think you may have seen the next Auckland cup winner in that field. ;)  

2 hours ago, kakama said:

My main point was they fact they blamed the track for its poor performance?? So why start it?

It's difficult isn't it, when a track is reported as a dead 4 and turns out to be a good 2?