RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pogo(aus)

michelle pain

Pogo earlier this year I was pilloried for being the ONLY Race Cafe poster to defend Michelle for her perceived bad ride on Azkadellia! Her many knockers can dine out on humble pie tonight.Nothing is more nauseating than totally I'll informed punters Bagging Jockeys through their pockets!

mate in all seriousness i don't know what her imo "butchering" azkadelia has to do with moses intervention at flemington today

usually when a female speaks in tones such as payne has today there is an immediate surge in support by shirtlifters, sheilas as ugly as a hatful, pollyannas or a combination of all three

i don't think today will be any different.

good luck to her on the win, she had no need to speak in such derogatory terms, she obviously feels hard done by , maybe she could talk to maurice logue or any other jockey actually taken off a horse that went on to win a group one.

she's a capable jockey at best in my humble opinion , i don't see many trainers beating down her door for rides in group ones , is it just whats in their pants causing that ?      i doubt it.

every one is entitled to an opinion.;)

would there be a difference in reaction to this if the jockey was black and had called the industry racist had he been the first black jockey to win say the Kentucky Derby and the white owners had pressured the non-racist trainer to change jockey to a perceived better white jockey?

Canelo...

Do you mean like when Arthur Ashe rose to the top in USA tennis and then had the temerity to beat the original tennis brat in the Wimbledon Men's Final?

Or when Tiger Woods caused a conundrum for some USA golf clubs by having the audacity to be the best while being darkly hued?

If so, then no...my reaction would be the same.

All the best.

Ashoka

pogo...

I support Ms Payne's right to speak as she did in the given circumstances.

I do not fall into any of your three categories.

I believe that your comments provide justification for the use of the words ascribed to Michelle Payne today.

Regards.

Ashoka

PS Sometimes, it is hard to discern when you are joking. Perhaps, like me, you are feeling somewhat poorer this evening than you were this morning.

are you a dead set idoit or what ?

how the hell is racing chauvinistic if a BLOKE put her on and kept her on ???

i'll bet 99% of her rides are for BLOKES

if she gets criticised or told she isn't vigorous enough then it appears she has played the sexist card.

trainers and owners wouldnt care if a martian or a transvestite rode it if it won.

i know a male jockey so weak he cant hold his willy up for a pee , who does he blame?

15 minutes ago, Ashoka said:

Canelo...

Do you mean like when Arthur Ashe rose to the top in USA tennis and then had the temerity to beat the original tennis brat in the Wimbledon Men's Final?

Or when Tiger Woods caused a conundrum for some USA golf clubs by having the audacity to be the best while being darkly hued?

If so, then no...my reaction would be the same.

All the best.

Ashoka

I just find it quite ironic people have reacted negatively to her account of percieved chauvanism but if it was race and not gender in question it would be damning to the industry in the public eye. I don't know if there is an element of misogyny in Australian racing or not but given the fact she had just won the Melbourne cup I suppose she is awarded the right to speak from the heart and chose that time to vent her frustration. So what

pogo...

She is not "playing the sexist card"...she just won the biggest race in Australasia and has "beaten the world" (along with her brother), as she put it.

She is taking the opportunity of expressing her concerns to an audience available to her through her own efforts. To me, there is no doubt that her concerns are genuinely held.

I find your comments both churlish and distasteful.

Ashoka

As a woman I say congratulations to Michelle Payne - the first female jockey to win the Melbourne Cup.  Also congratulations to the connections and trainers and performance of Prince of Penzance.

HOWEVER, I hope it is another 150 years before we see a 101 odds horse win the Melbourne Cup.

2 hours ago, biff said:

Good Hawera girl, well her Mum, Dad and older bro are ex Hawera, I think Michelle may have been foaled in Oz, but we'll claim her as 'Kiwi Bred'' in any  case.

Chances are you or Scooby may have ridden for Paddy Payne when he was at Hawera.   Getting Our Paddy Boy  for I think $600 and selling for over $1million certainly set up dynasty in Oz.

Michelle has ridden P of P for all but about 2 or 3 of its starts. Her ride on the horse was "THE RIDE OF THE DAY". Some of the wankers on here who cannot acknowledge "The Moment". A horse bought for $45k by Bloodstock Legend, John Foote, the Qld buyer that visits every NZ Sale every year and plucks winner after winner of Classic races. Weir, a bush trainer taking on the O'Briens, Hayes, Waller, Dunlop etc and then there's MichellePayne. She rode the perfect race. So instead of focusing on the negative, celebrate a great moment in MC history. Ahhh! Don't you just love racing? 

Good on her.  Might do a better speech next time she wins it.  Anyway I think its accepted that all Aussie sheilas talk a bit rough.  Like Lara Bingle and her 'Where the bloody hell are ya?' sort of thing.

4 hours ago, Bimbo said:

Good on her.  Might do a better speech next time she wins it.  Anyway I think its accepted that all Aussie sheilas talk a bit rough.  Like Lara Bingle and her 'Where the bloody hell are ya?' sort of thing.

I thought that it was a great speech. She said it, as she saw it!

As far as I am concerned it was all true, the facts laid bare for all to see, except for the none so blind such as Pogo Stick, still jumping up and down but going nowhere.

7 hours ago, Bimbo said:

there wont be a next time

:D

9 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Chances are you or Scooby may have ridden for Paddy Payne when he was at Hawera.   Getting Our Paddy Boy  for I think $600 and selling for over $1million certainly set up dynasty in Oz.

In fact you are correct, I rode often when he needed a gallop mate, Paddy used to ride in socks not boots, he had an aversion or fear of getting his feet caught in the irons. He was and still is a lovely fella and raised all his kids the same way, when he lost his wife, and their Mum, they dug deep that family and they also lost another daughter/sister too, if heart and guts were gold, this family would be Lang Hancock.

Let's all be honest here, if ladies/girls withdrew their labour/expertise from the racing industry, it would collapse overnight. Also, NZ leads the world with utilizing female riders, nowhere else even in the USA do you see the amount of female riders come raceday. Without doubt it's a different world, and thank God for that, when the likes of Hayley Turner [Gr1 winning jock] retires in the UK due to lack of opportunities and at any one given racemeeting there you would be pressed to find 1-2 female riders it shows how far behind they are in Europe. Tegan Harrison in Queensland, Lucy Warwick in Perth and Clare Lindop in Adelaide, plus of course the emergence of Winona Costin the leading apprentice in NSW are as good as any of the leading male riders, if not better!........Danielle Johnson, IMO is the equal of Opie/Matt/Mike etc.......so although racing here is sliding slowly into the toilet courtesy of the 'controllers' in Petone, I, for one, am happy to applaude excellence when I witness it, and 'our' girls here in New Zealand are as bloody good as the men, and deserve thoroughly their rewards when they arrive, Michelle should be invited by NZ Thoroughbred marketing to ride at the AKL carnival/Karaka Millions and promoted accordingly!.....someone needs to plant the idea......it may take more than a 'shove, nudge though'......remember this......the great late Bart Cummings saw something in Michelle, he provided her with her first Gr1 winner, Allez Wonder in the Toorak Hcp. 

Michelle has led the way, before her Bev Buckingham, I hope with this win many more young ladies are enthused and excited and enter the racing industry, it's a wonderful result for all, go girls, we salute you!

Very slack reporting about the 22 rides. The mis quote arose around the stat that she has ridden the horse in 22 of his 23 race starts. Anyway the ride was a 10/10 in it's own right. She got a prime spot for the majority of the distance and then left the fence at exactly the right time to take bad luck out of the equation to get the position Dettori wanted but was too slow to take. The horse still has to turn in the performance but she was a major, major contributer to the win. Her comments were honest and spoken out of passion and all power to her. Congratulations also to the breeders of this horse who must be filled with pride as they have put NZ right back in the frame after recent years of hearing how Europe was the be all and end all.

12 hours ago, pogo(aus) said:

mate in all seriousness i don't know what her imo "butchering" azkadelia has to do with moses intervention at flemington today

usually when a female speaks in tones such as payne has today there is an immediate surge in support by shirtlifters, sheilas as ugly as a hatful, pollyannas or a combination of all three

i don't think today will be any different.

good luck to her on the win, she had no need to speak in such derogatory terms, she obviously feels hard done by , maybe she could talk to maurice logue or any other jockey actually taken off a horse that went on to win a group one.

she's a capable jockey at best in my humble opinion , i don't see many trainers beating down her door for rides in group ones , is it just whats in their pants causing that ?      i doubt it.

every one is entitled to an opinion.;)

Pogo.... I admire Michelle Payne for speaking her mind, and YES it is tough as a female in the world of a jockey, more so in Aussie. She probably has had to fight every inch of the way to fulfil her ambitions to be a top jockey.

If anything she has probably had to work twice as hard to get there.

Speaking from experience but a couple of decades ago in NZ, you had to ride and work twice as hard as the guys to be considered an equal.

Its more of a level playing field now in NZ which is awesome for all concerned.

Congrats Michelle and keep up the great work.

I'm sorry but I have been saying for a long time racing is chauvenestic and stuck in the last century.  My husband doesn't have shares in any thoroughbred (he does in pacers) and I have shares in both codes but The Thoroughbred magazine is always posted to my husband only (he not involved in thoroughbred racing) and never reads the magazine but I do. I have more shares than my husband  in our pacer that made the Jewels last years but the e-mail for owners privileges was sent by e-mail only to my husband.   I also purchased a new car a couple of years ago and registered in my name. The survey on my car was sent to Mr only.  I filled it in and said at the end by the way we are in the 21st century and this car was bought and registered by Mrs - ladies are now allowed to buy cars  - Mr drives a ............... (completely different make & model to my car.)

So I say good on Michelle for comments - in the text of what she was saying I don't think it was derogatory - it's her opinion and she's entitled to express it.