RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

What's the difference between a Magnolia and Mongolia ?

Not sure what happened to Greg Miles today. Normally very good but from about 800-1000 out it in the cup it was a shambles aside from getting the name wrong. Sounded like he was having trouble getting a breath, hope he is ok.

I don't care what they call him as long as he won. :D

Exactly!

Greg Miles’ still has more than enough talent to call a Melbourne Cup, despite claims of declining quality. I seriously hope he’s alright, because the call sounded like more than a bad day at the office. You could hear it throughout the call.

Edited by Ligerzero
To articulate my point clearer...does anyone read this, hello?

Fame Game is going to be tough in the Melbourne Cup on today's run.  

Fame Game (JPN) - had to be steadied near the 500m when tightened for room between Hauraki and Grand Marshal (GB). When questioned regarding tactics adopted in particular from the 800m, rider Zac Purton explained that his mount normally races back in the field and that he had been given instructions to look for runs through the field rather than endeavouring to circumnavigate the field. He added that he had difficultly at various stages in the straight in obtaining clear running and that once clear passing the 100m he was riding his mount out hands and heels to the best of his ability. The trainer Mr Yoshitada Manukata confirmed the instructions and when questioned further, he clarified that the horse performs best when ridden through the field rather than the alternative. Both parties were advised that the instructions and subsequently the manner in which the horse was ridden today, cast doubt in the Stewards minds as to whether the horse was ridden to ensure that it was ridden in a manner that it obtained the best possible placing and that they would expect similar instructions to be adopted in this years Melbourne Cup.

Despite being held up in the straight and looking for room Fame Game ran the second fastest last 400m in the race 23:28

Remember years ago Tony Lee called a horse the stablemates name all through the race and from memory it won and was the Wellington Cup?, bloody Dulux colour fiasco days!!!!!.  Name escapes me of the horse and trainer, but was from CD and horse was a double barrelled name/ green/ black colours with a Maltese cross.... Got it now !!.....John Boon Waverley. Think Tony ended up doing a "voice over" for the connections. 

Thought the first 7 home were all full of merit.Fame Game had Melbourne Cup written all over him.You got to laugh at Stewards over there,multi million dollar race and Stewards are doubting international trainer over a horses racing style that they never seen race before.

Thought Who Shot the Barman and Gust of Wind also great runs and will love the MC

imho :P     the only thing you "got to laugh " about is anyone who thought fame game either had a crack or was ever going to....

you have racing presenters on dedicated channels harping on endlessly about not expecting fame game to win but it will be running on,it'll get a penalty if it happens to win, could it win at flemngton with more weight , caulfield wont suit, expect it to be warming up late, back it today before the odds shrink  etc etc

as zelda says the stewards are not idoits.

two words come to mind....................... BROWN BREAD.....;)

see you see you at flemington sheep shearers

Remember years ago Tony Lee called a horse the stablemates name all through the race and from memory it won and was the Wellington Cup?, bloody Dulux colour fiasco days!!!!!.  Name escapes me of the horse and trainer, but was from CD and horse was a double barrelled name/ green/ black colours with a Maltese cross.... Got it now !!.....John Boon Waverley. Think Tony ended up doing a "voice over" for the connections. 

He called the horse Cautious Cluden when it was called Cluden Creek. 

imho :P     the only thing you "got to laugh " about is anyone who thought fame game either had a crack or was ever going to....

you have racing presenters on dedicated channels harping on endlessly about not expecting fame game to win but it will be running on,it'll get a penalty if it happens to win, could it win at flemngton with more weight , caulfield wont suit, expect it to be warming up late, back it today before the odds shrink  etc etc

as zelda says the stewards are not idoits.

two words come to mind....................... BROWN BREAD.....;)

see you see you at flemington sheep shearers

That right distance was always going to be far too short for Fame Game as it was for others,therefore surely stewards could see he was going to get lost in early pace and fly home when it all over.I dont think anybody really thought it could win that.Same as Who shot The Barman,was never really going to be a winning chance.

Wouldn't be too hard on Greg Miles. A Premier Racecaller over a long period of time.

I'm sure he will be mortified over yesterday, particularly in such a big race, but he will bounce back.

Still the best in the business, with Darren Flindell next in line.

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/116592/2015-Caulfield-Cup-call---Miles-apologises-for-'train-wreck'

Yeah they all have a shocker now and again.  Remember Tony Lee's Wellington Cup call?  Alan Thomas's stuff up and Reon Murtha calling a couple of stablemates the wrong way round once, stick out for me, as I had money on the races.  It's best just to have a laugh and move on.

It does amaze me that they make so few mistakes. And reading about his health problems it's a shame they flared up during this race, and the horse he was mispronouncing was the one that won. The fact that there was Magicool, Magnapal, and Mongolian Khan in the same race is probably what got his tongue twisted.