RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
berzerk

B. Harvey v J. Waddell

Bruce Harvey's horse gets checked at the barrier trials and he blames former employee, jockey Jason Waddell - with whom there has been a long running mutual dislike.

Harvey cries to stewards, and gets Waddell stood down from declared race rides, two weeks later. And a serious charge.

Watch the replay - Avondale trials, Heat 19. If the interference is not the fault of the outside runner/leader, which also checks the horse in yellow colours, then I will give up.

This is quite possibly the worst miscarriage of justice I have ever seen in racing. It seems if you have a money and power you can squeeze out all your enemies.What an absolute disgrace.

Stipes gatecrash Waddell’s comeback day

Jason Waddell’s comeback to the saddle was halted in unusual circumstances at Matamata today.
The Group One-winning jockey, who hasn’t ridden since the 2012-13 season, had three engagements at the meeting only to be told his day was over before it could begin.
“He was stood down pending further investigations over a ride at the trials,” stipendiary steward Alan Coles said.
“Under Rule 207 stewards can only stand a jockey down on the day of the races and not before. Further investigations will be ongoing.”
The incident in question apparently occurred at the Avondale trials on September 29, a fact that didn’t escape Waddell’s manager Darryl Anderson.
“I find it quite incomprehensible that they can do this,” he said. “Jason has ridden at another set of trials since then.
“It’s all very vague and he has rides booked for next Wednesday at Avondale and for next Saturday at Otaki.
“Surely, before now someone should have talked to Jason or to me – I find it quite staggering.
“Trainers are being investigated on drug charges here and they are still able to be participants. The whole thing of standing Jason down is very strange and very inconsistent.”
Weight problems have previously interrupted Waddell’s career, which numbers 539 New Zealand winners with 38 at Group and Listed level.
A former champion New Zealand and Singapore apprentice, he has five domestic Group One winners to his credit as well as the Singapore Guineas aboard the Laurie Laxon-trained Big Easy. – NZ Racing Desk.

Bruce Harvey's horse gets checked at the barrier trials and he blames former employee, jockey Jason Waddell - with whom there has been a long running mutual dislike.

Harvey cries to stewards, and gets Waddell stood down from declared race rides, two weeks later. And a serious charge.

Watch the replay - Avondale trials, Heat 19. If the interference is not the fault of the outside runner/leader, which also checks the horse in yellow colours, then I will give up.

This is quite possibly the worst miscarriage of justice I have ever seen in racing. It seems if you have a money and power you can squeeze out all your enemies.What an absolute disgrace.

Bezerk do you know this for a fact or just rumor... before you come on here bagging one of I feel the good guys in racing please have some facts to back this up... as your accusations are serious. Bruce and Maureen are extremely hard working and put a lot into the racing industry.

Leigh

The stewards report from Matamata tells us mushrooms all we need to know as to why Waddell is not allowed to ride.  Anderson makes a valid point about trainers being allowed to carry on presenting horses to race when they await hearings on breaches of rules (O'Sullivan/Scott with 3 horses tested positive for cobalt) whereas Waddell is banned on hearsay. 

After additional interviews were conducted J Waddell was stood down under Rule 207 from riding engagements today pending further investigations.

I have no idea what the incident was but I'm guessing they stood him down on more than just hearsay.  Suspect they probably have video footage of the incident in question.  If it is trial #19, it looks like the Savabeel cops a decent check soon after the start but without head on, hard to see exactly what caused it.

The stewards report from Matamata tells us mushrooms all we need to know as to why Waddell is not allowed to ride.  Anderson makes a valid point about trainers being allowed to carry on presenting horses to race when they await hearings on breaches of rules (O'Sullivan/Scott with 3 horses tested positive for cobalt) whereas Waddell is banned on hearsay. 

After additional interviews were conducted J Waddell was stood down under Rule 207 from riding engagements today pending further investigations.

andersons talking through his pocket,he has to remember andrew and lance  had a stack of horses that didnt test positive too,they need interview said  parties and if all parties werent there then makes hard to get right facts

Edited by mr_gee

Why does it matter if they had a stack of horse that didn't test positive ? 3 of them did even if 1 of them did they'd still be in the same situation they are in now. I fail to see your point?

Are you saying its ok for massive stable to have a few positives, interesting one of them just happened to be in the derby,

From The Informant - Dennis Ryan

The up and down career of talented jockey Jason Waddell took another unexpected twist when his comeback was halted just before racing was due to start at Matamata today.

The 29-year-old, whose career has been punctuated by weight issues and misconduct charges, was set to end a two and half-year absence with three rides on the Matamata Cup programme.

Shortly before racing was due to start, however, connections of Waddell’s mounts were told that he had been stood down “pending an investigation”.

Alan Coles, RIU steward in charge on the day, and RIU investigator Andy Cruikshank referred questions from www.theinformant.co.nz to RIU chief executive Mike Godber. He stated that Waddell’s stand-down was connected in the first place to an incident that took place in a trial at Avondale on September 29 and subsequent events of concern.

A number of interviews of jockeys have been conducted in the past week and after the last of them took place at Matamata this morning RIU investigator Andy Cruikshank advised jockey Jason Waddell that he was stood down from riding,” Godber said. " The action was taken under Racing Rule 207, which deals with jockey safety.”

Rule 207 gives stewards and investigators the power to order the removal of any rider and substitute another in his place, as well as take such steps as they consider necessary for the purpose of horse and rider welfare.

Inquiries by www.theinformant.co.nz have revealed that at the Avondale trial meeting in question - Waddell’s first day of competition since renewing his jockey’s licence - Samantha Collett was spoken to by Waddell while the field for a maiden 800-metre trial was being marshalled behind the starting gates.

In the trial Collett’s mount suffered significant interference, raising concerns not only from Collett but also from other jockeys who rode in the trial.

Speaking to www.theinformant.co.nz, Collett has described the interference her mount suffered, forcing it into the running rail, as “blatant and very calculated”.

Investigations into that incident as well as conversations before and afterwards related by a number of people interviewed would appear to have culminated in today’s action by the RIU.

A question raised in the wake of Waddell’s stand-down is whether the matter could have been handled more expeditiously and avoided leaving rider substitutions so late.

In response, the RIU’s Mike Godber has stated that ongoing interviews to gain a full picture around the circumstances involved were not able to be completed before today, plus under Rule 207 a jockey can only be stood down on raceday.

“What happened today isn’t the end of it,” Godber added. “The RIU hope to complete the investigation by the end of this week and will then decide if and what charges will be pending.”   

so what if he done it race day to sam obviously has a be in a bonnet bout something, that shouldn't be swept under the table , yes timing was wrong but if he did it racedaty, there be fur to fly, if hes going be like that hope he sits on the side lie for a while , if he had hurt my horse, in any way that put a jockeys safety in danger i be pissed off to

Edited by mr_gee

Totally agree Puha. Six days after the Avondale trial concerned Jason rode in nine Trials at Te Teko winning two of them.Why was he allowed to ride there?! There were six runners in Heat 19 at Avondale and the Stipendiary Stewards had ample time to interview the other five riders before Matamata on Saturday. 

if  hes  been  stood down   no  unless its  all,    cleared 

i think  they  done  a  great  job  in  finding  out  what  has  gone ,  on   if what is   been said   is  found to be right,  then  yes  i say  jason is in a world of trouble,  also depends on when complaint was also made  and if they  were able to chat to each of  said parties   during that time  would  hate  to seen the out come if they have  rushed  things    ,  just  be patient  and it will happen,  as  for  the  drug   positives  that all takes  time ,  with interviewing as well as  day by   day tasks

i  for  one    would hate  to have any  jockey  or  horse  i know    hurt if another jockey   has  got issues with fellow  jockeys or owners

I recall watching Jason play football when he was a youngster playing for Upper Hutt. He was very talented and had the potential to play at a high level.

He also was a talented jockey so its disappointing to see him getting into strife.

If he can't keep out of trouble at the trials then it does not bode well for when or if he gets back to the races.

You would think he would of tried to keep out of any trouble after such a long break away, although some people just can't get past their demons i.e Lisa Cropp, despite how talented they may be.

If he can't keep out of trouble at the trials then it does not bode well for when or if he gets back to the races.

You would think he would of tried to keep out of any trouble after such a long break away, although some people just can't get past their demons i.e Lisa Cropp, despite how talented they may be.

i  would  say  it  woulda  been  very  serious matter  for  them to take action 

Inquiries by www.theinformant.co.nz have revealed that at the Avondale trial meeting in question - Waddell’s first day of competition since renewing his jockey’s licence - Samantha Collett was spoken to by Waddell while the field for a maiden 800-metre trial was being marshalled behind the starting gates.

In the trial Collett’s mount suffered significant interference, raising concerns not only from Collett but also from other jockeys who rode in the trial.

Speaking to www.theinformant.co.nz, Collett has described the interference her mount suffered, forcing it into the running rail, as “blatant and very calculated”.   

Does anyone know what was (allegedly) said? 

It looks like whatever Jason said was just as important as the interference itself, if not more so, as it adds perspective to whatever happened during the running.

I know nothing about this other than that threats were made prior to the trial in question, and then what was threatened eventuated, putting horse and human at unnecessary risk.

Now jockeys are a hardy bunch, and they'll typically stick together in a crisis, circle the wagons if you like.

This time it appears they haven't circled the wagons, the RIU appears to have taken evidence from many involved directly or indirectly, and that all takes time, and the consensus is that JW might be marginalized by his colleagues here because his behavior in this instance was or is reckless and dangerous.

Only my read of course, but that's what the drums are beating.

Jason Waddell's jockey licence on hold as threat allegation investigated

Last updated 22:25, October 15 2015

NZTR have put Jason Waddell's jockey licence on hold while investigations continue.
Chris Hillock

NZTR have put Jason Waddell's jockey licence on hold while investigations continue.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing has put a hold on Jason Waddell's jockey licence as it investigates allegations of a threat against a fellow jockey.

The 29-year-old was stood down prior to racing at Matamata last Saturday on his comeback day after an absence from the saddle since the 2012-13 season.

NZTR stipendary stewards launched an inquiry into an incident at the Avondale trials on September 29.

The allegation is that Waddell caused severe interference to Samantha Collett's mount in a heat during the trial meeting.

Racing Integrity Unit general manager Mike Godber said Waddell's horse pulled sharply in front of Collett's mount, causing that horse to lose between three and five lengths.

"In our view it was a deliberate act by Waddell pulling his horse in front [of hers]," he said on Radio Trackside.

It was when two jockeys were interviewed on Saturday that the allegation of a threat emerged.

The allegation was that it was an "ongoing threat and and the threat was that this had happened and it will happen again", Godber said.

"The jockeys were were fearful of riding in those circumstances and it was a big step to take but in safety the decision was made to stand Jason Waddell down.""

NZTR had put a hold on his licence apart from riding  track work while further interviews were carried out," he said.

Waddell was booked for three rides at Matamata and the late decision to stand him down caused frustration and anger among owners and trainers who had booked him to ride and punters who had wagered on multis involving his mounts.

"Under Rule 207 stewards can only stand a jockey down on the day of the races and not before. Further investigations will be ongoing," stipendary steward Alan Coles said at Matamata.

- Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/racing/73064532/Jason-Waddells-jockey-licence-on-hold-as-threat-allegation-investigated

Waddell  was not banned or stood down because of hearsay... he was stood down because of clear  evidence from more than one witness

the facts will come out at the hearing