RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Hawke's Bay Lad

Eating humble pie

Early days yet I know but surely all those critics of Butch Castles getting the top job at HB Racing must be worrying what humble pie tastes like. Interesting to see the recent three days in the Bay on course turnover was only $27k behind last year, even with the abandonment of the middle day. Also interesting that the 3 days were way up on the 2 years previous to last year, again even with the abandoned day in 2015. We may be a long way from the old Kelt Carnival turnovers but at least it’s heading back in the right direction following some less than positive signs in recent years. Didn’t go to any of the days myself but I’ve heard the atmosphere on course was fantastic. Well done Butch, if you are pie eater as they say mate you may soon have some people joining you!

Early days yet I know but surely all those critics of Butch Castles getting the top job at HB Racing must be worrying what humble pie tastes like. Interesting to see the recent three days in the Bay on course turnover was only $27k behind last year, even with the abandonment of the middle day. Also interesting that the 3 days were way up on the 2 years previous to last year, again even with the abandoned day in 2015. We may be a long way from the old Kelt Carnival turnovers but at least it’s heading back in the right direction following some less than positive signs in recent years. Didn’t go to any of the days myself but I’ve heard the atmosphere on course was fantastic. Well done Butch, if you are pie eater as they say mate you may soon have some people joining you!

Dick head i dont think you understand what happened there,nothing to do with turnover to do with opportunities for the owners and horses.

Dick head i dont think you understand what happened there,nothing to do with turnover to do with opportunities for the owners and horses.

Wow - are you serious? Clearly getting more people on course having a good time and betting isn't a positive in your eyes. So please explain to me o'wise one why I'm a dickhead?

first , well done waikato for last night, still gutted but Bay did,nt deserve that game.

Butch just took over from where jason left off... (crowd and party wise)...2nd day a jockey/stipe decision...No?

Was a good crowd all days but especially Livermol...Grows year on year because of positive word of mouth

and thousands of party going youngsters who will text thier mates next year and it will be bigger.

All good Richie.

I certainly wasn’t defending anyone about that second day abandonment. I don’t know how it came about but if it was HB Racing’s fault then heads should roll. I also believe in credit where credit is due though and if HB Racing has reversed some fairly ordinary oncourse turnovers over the Carnival then well done to all concerned. And I hope it continues, not only for racing but to because of the uncalled for personal attacks on Mr Castles when he was appointed. Whether he’s any good or not time will tell, but again for the sake of the game I do hope we see some humble pie being eaten.

I think NP did $75k or close to it the day their Opunake Cup meeting was called off with no races.

I see turnover was down oncourse last week with 1 extra race and more runners according to the NZTR Bulletin. You'd have to say its a bit early to start judging his impact on the carnival totes only having been there a short while.  Hope he goes well at HB , the industry needs him to.

Controversy seems to follow Castles everywhere he goes.  He was one of the " Emperor's New Suit Brigade" that trumpeted the Auckland Cup being run on a Wednesday in front of small crowds and poor turnover for 10 years. He was also part of a decision to run Derby Day on the same day as the NZ v Aussie World Cup cricket game and Derby Day turned out to be a disaster for both attendance and turnover.

Then he turns up at Hastings and a race meeting gets abandoned. One minute he is saying that he is accountable and the next he is shifting the blame to others.

Castles has heaps to say so it will be interesting to know if he gave the instructions to the track manager  (who had previously produced excellent tracks for many years) to turn the tap on.

How is it possible for some one with links to horses or jockeys to be able to determine the track surface.

He said that he was looking for a dead track, now I know we don't want rock hard tracks, but surely the best horses in the land want the best track surface, ie FAST to GOOD at the worst.