RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
WOODBINE

How a Stud can better promote a Stallion?

If it was up to the individual breeder, hypothetically most smaller non-commercial breeders would choose to produce colt foals as the fillies would not be deemed as valuable and only the commercial mares would be producing fillies-in most cases anyway.

In my time on studs I estimate that only about 20% of the time the breeder is happy to hear he has a filly, unless the mare is K1 or is old and looking for a daughter to carry on the line. My point is that breeding isn't always completely linear and predictable and sometime great families can come from nowhere(like Miss Distinction) and would be a shame if they never came to be.

Peter, whilst the owner of

Redoutes Choice might wish to breed 600 mares per year the advent of AI will see all stallion owners having to advertise the number of mares they will take.

It is obvious that a limit of 100 mares would attract a much higher fee than a limit of 300 for instance and breeders have become aware of the devaluation caused by studmasters greedy for huge numbers.

Quite a few Aussie breeders got badly burned going to a highly priced stallion taking "unlimited" numbers --result? an over supplied market.

AI offers advantages to all breeders think along the lines of health, travel, sex selection. I do not know why you put embryo transfer in the AI basket, there is no connection that I can see.

Indeed, it used to be allowed under Australian Stud book rules.

I would suggest that given the chance to use the No. 1 stallion at $30k or the No. 5 stallion at $80k most breeders wouldn't care less how "select" No.5's book is going to be. I know that come yearling sale time No.1 stallions progeny will still be top of every trainer and agents list not No.5's. Buyers care not a jot what fee was paid to put a yearling in the sale ring. It would be a brave studmaster who took the gamble and restricted his book under A.I.. Only the No. 1 stallion could really hope to get away with it.

Nod, I understand your comment unlimited regarding numbers under the current situation however that has not stopped breeders who were happy to have 1 of over 250 mares visiting at least two stallions at stud in Australia last year so your market resistance theory isn't universally accepted.

Embryo Transfer is illegal in thoroughbreds but if the A.I. challenge is successful on the basis of "restriction of trade" then it would be fruitless trying to oppose the use of Embryo Transfer or restrict its use. Same principle applies for cloning. It would be open slather.

BTW the perceived "benefit" of travel savings in standardbreds has resulted in widespread use of shipped semen causing their live foal rate to fall below that of thoroughbreds - a false economy for sure.

I would suggest that given the chance to use the No. 1 stallion at $30k or the No. 5 stallion at $80k most breeders wouldn't care less how "select" No.5's book is going to be. I know that come yearling sale time No.1 stallions progeny will still be top of every trainer and agents list not No.5's. Buyers care not a jot what fee was paid to put a yearling in the sale ring. It would be a brave studmaster who took the gamble and restricted his book under A.I.. Only the No. 1 stallion could really hope to get away with it.

Nod, I understand your comment unlimited regarding numbers under the current situation however that has not stopped breeders who were happy to have 1 of over 250 mares visiting at least two stallions at stud in Australia last year so your market resistance theory isn't universally accepted.

I heard some positive news from Vinery regarding their ultra promising young stallion Domesday, apparently capping his book and resticting him to serving only 1/3 of the mares he could have. Good on them for holding true and not oversupplying the market(and looking after the stallion) and I bet those breeders will be happy come yearling time.

Yes Nick, some of the more responsible studs are restricting books.

There is a huge marketing difference with serving 250 mares in Australia where there are maybe 17,000 foals and serving 250 in NZ where there are 4000 odd.

Whilst all breeders are optimists there is a lot of reality creeping into the Australian scene where those supporting the highest priced stallions got a proper pasting this year.