RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jimsmith

Dan Carter

Ohaka you may have played with me in some Wellington rep teams?

Were you in the Under 18 team that went to Auckland on the overnight Limited Express (cattle class) and had to play Auckland next day. Only problem was that the train sat at Te Rapa for about 4 hours and we only got into Auckland about two hours before the game at Newmarket Park. The Manager who had all the gear was in a taxi which had an accident and he did not show up until well into the game.

Tommy Heptinstall showed his budding leadership skills by picking the team and because I grew up with him I was first in. We borrowed an old Auckland set of gear to play the game. At half time it was 2 all and we ended losing 8-2 as we just ran out of puff from not getting any sleep the night before on the train.

I do recall that there were several players on the field that day went on to play for new Zealand.

Do any of you guys know of an old Scottish football man named Bill Campbell? He was managing the Central League team Nelson United. I recall taking a trip with that team to the lower North Island a couple of times in the 70's. Nelson put Stop Out to the sword, did the same to Wellington Diamond United,Seatoun, Miramar Rangers and finally Raumati Hearts. I especially remember the Raumati game. The Nelson centre forward Jack ? was from a Northern England club. Bolton Wanderers I think. Anyways he could head the ball harder than most could kick it and was a prolific goal scorer. Well known around NZ football at the time. He took a free kick from just inside his own half and hit it like a rocket. Raumati keeper never moved and flew past him into the back of the net. 

1982 All White Grant Turner played in one of the above mentioned teams. Stop Out I think?. What I recall about him was he scored a goal after only being about ten yards offside and the goal stood.

Kevin Fallon had a bit to do with the Nelson team.  

Bill Campbell ended up at Eltham looking after their football. 

Jim, I recall playing Nelson United for Western Suburbs in Nelson. We walked from the hotel in central Nelson to the ground and got changed in an old prefab. When we came out of the prefab to go on the field there was a crowd of about 5k surrounding the touch lines. Wonderful atmosphere but we lost a close game.

The Nelson team had heaps of Poms and was coached by Glynn Evans.

Just did a bit of homework Ohokaman and the Jack was Jack Woodfine.

Won the Nelson footballer of the year several times. 

http://photonews.org.nz/nelson/issue/NPN141_19720722/t1-body-d17.html

The link below is from the cover of the Nelson Photo News.

Bill Campbell is bottom right and Jack Woodfine is the tallest standing nearest the door of the old N.A.C Folker Friendship.

http://photonews.org.nz/nelson/issue/NPN130_19710821/index.html

Jack holding the player of the year trophy sitting next to Barry Truman in the bottom left photo of the link below.

http://photonews.org.nz/nelson/issue/NPN132_19711016/t1-body-d19.html

Speaking of the NAC plane. I recall picking up the Sunday morning newspapers on a flight from Auckland to Nelson that stopped off in Wellington. It was the most hairy landing I'd ever had and still holds that record. 

Jim, I recall playing Nelson United for Western Suburbs in Nelson. We walked from the hotel in central Nelson to the ground and got changed in an old prefab. When we came out of the prefab to go on the field there was a crowd of about 5k surrounding the touch lines. Wonderful atmosphere but we lost a close game.

The Nelson team had heaps of Poms and was coached by Glynn Evans.

You are right on the money Bloke. There were Poms for Africa.

Gwyn is pictured in the bottom left photo of the 3rd link I added previously.

Pretty sure Gwyn was Ceri Evans father. Ceri was an outstanding player who knew exactly where the back of the net was and was also a very good All White.

Excellent Bloke. Glad you enjoyed them. Always enjoy a walk down memory lane especially when it involves the beautiful game. Jack Woodfine of Nelson United ex Bolton Wanderers was a good mate of Bolton and English legend Nat Lofthouse who died about a year after Jack.

The Chatham Cup was huge back then and we always looked forward to the show coming to town. We probably crossed paths as I remember Suburbs winning the Chatham Cup back then. Was a big deal.

Was the Hotel you stayed at in Nelson called "The Metropolitan"..ie The Met ? 

Was a fav hangout of a lot of the football lads.

Yes it was The Met, by todays standards very rough but back then up market. . From memory there was a small bar directly  below the Honeymoon suite with  string and a cork attached to the underside of the bed running to the bar below. When a newly married couple booked in many would gather in the bar to watch the cork go up and down.and then the chants would begin.

You are right on the money Bloke. There were Poms for Africa.

Gwyn is pictured in the bottom left photo of the 3rd link I added previously.

Pretty sure Gwyn was Ceri Evans father. Ceri was an outstanding player who knew exactly where the back of the net was and was also a very good All White.

Have to agree with the Poms for Africa. Playing for WWMC was a real eye opener. I was well into my 20s by then with 4 kids,so it was difficult. The whole top team was completely made up of Pom,Scots,Irish,apart from me and a Burmese guy. The Poms were good players but lacked pace,and argue f----k did they what ,at every opportunity during a game ,mostly directed at the ref. We used to take the plane down to Nelson to play ( I think it was 2nd div South), meet in the morning before hand at the WMC,and of course drink. Off the plane to the club and drink again. In fact it was a national pastime with these guys,and still turn up for football. Not surprisingly I became very friendly with the Burmese bloke(he didn't drink either),and we could have a conversation apart from the topic of how the football was going, back in the Old Country.

Globe from memory I think we (Tawa) won the grade that year. WWMC  had a pommie guy (was it Roly) who was very mouthy and he played with no teeth.

I must admit to giving him some lip (like go chew on a bone)  then I enjoyed  watching  him going  off at the gums.

Tommy was an exceptional player, I always enjoyed being on the field with him. I do not recall anyone apart from perhaps Grant Turner who showed a greater desire to win a game.

That quality has been a big factor for his success in the business world.

The All Blacks were the only team that looked like winning this morning Globe but it certainly wasn't "cruising past" or a 15+ plus margin. Were you worried at any point? Hard to believe that was the same team that got rolled by the Japs. 

I thought for the first time today the All Blacks are justifying their clear favouritism to go back to back.  

The All Blacks were the only team that looked like winning this morning Globe but it certainly wasn't "cruising past" or a 15+ plus margin. Were you worried at any point? Hard to believe that was the same team that got rolled by the Japs. 

I thought for the first time today the All Blacks are justifying their clear favouritism to go back to back.  

They certainly made it difficult for themselves . Up and unders when they were not winning any of them ?. 

They certainly looked the better team so a cruise in my books. Great game, real test rugby

After Argy not taking their chances againsted The Wobblies, looks like I'm screwed. Australia didn't show anything in that game that would have me changing my mind about the Final result.  Can, t wait for History to be made as I'm sure the whole of the country will be rocking next weekend. GO THE AB,s

The Aussie game plan must be based on their win in Sydney surely..? Cheika mucked about with selections for Eden Park, pretty much conceding that one given the history there and taking a long term view.

Pocock and Hooper need to be negated to stop that quick turnover ball.

Argentina gave them too much space....hardly a hand laid on any of the tryscorers in that match.

Experience, Discipline, cool heads under pressure and the strength of our bench should get us home.

One point more will do me.....hopefully the last ten will be more relaxing than that though......:D

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11535563

Edited by Ohokaman

Oh so close to that 20+ margin with,Ben Smith going off leaving it thin at the back making the difference. Great win , a special send off for some great players of this era.

Daniel Carter,what a legend,to get back to this level again after heartache at the last Cup Good on Mr Cheika for producing something with the Wobblies that his predecesors couldn,t. Should make for some interesting Championship /Bledisloe games between now and the next Cup.

See yah Jimmy