RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Same Old Same Old

Appears no change of tactics by AB's for this tourney.     Watching yesterday's game I couldn't help but feel I'd seen it all before.       AB backs kick far too much, and majority of these kicks lead to either loss of territory or opposition in reply putting together many phases and putting AB's back under pressure.        Only time AB's looked really good and efficient was when they kept ball in hand, took tackles and recycled, making many metres but  sadly this was the exception to plan A..      Surely they must know they can only score tries when they have advantage of possession and likewise the opposition cannot score without the ball.     Simple really.     Come on guys, put your boots away, especially Carter whose tactical kicking just never gives the rest of the team a show of regaining the ball.     In saying all that, I thought the team all looked super fit and match hardened which will surely give them an edge when the tough stuff commences.

If you are saying Dan Carter is a poor tactical kicker (which I don't agree with), then we need to replace him with someone who is.

What is required is a flexible game plan and this must include kicking. I can recall one occasion, where the AB's threw the ball about like they were playing touch rugby and got nowhere. Immediately thereafter, an excellent kick by Sonny Bill Williams got them field position, inside Argies 22 meter line, from where pressure was maintained.

Dan's kicks unfortunately these days get to their destination too quickly giving the chasers little opportunity to put any real pressure on the receiver.   For some reason, damned if I know why, his up and unders just dont seem to hang in the air long enough, which the Argies seemed to do and his deep kicks gave defender ample time possibly because they not well directed (did not make defender run far enough to cover).     No, I don't think AB's should dispense with the kicking option, but they do (in my opinion) use it when taking tackle/recycling would possibly be a better (safer) option.    I'm not a Leaguie, but ask one and they will tell you that one of the biggest, if not the biggest, energy sapper is tackling so surely it makes sense (doesn't it?) to commit the opposition to the tackle rather than yourself.    I do not, Uriah, advocate replacing Dan, we all saw instances of his ability to run, draw, pass, recycle, tackle etc.etc. that still makes him our far and away our best first five when he fit and injury free, which he is at present and here's hoping he stays this way - class is permanent isn't it.     I just hope the coaches are not placing to much emphasis on kicking - to the detriment of the attacking skills of the team.    I just hope Mr Smith does not have too much influence with the AB backs attacking prowess afterall Mr Hansen was himself a back and up till now the backs have been a keen attacking weapon, something which did look a bit lacking against the Argies.