RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GONSTA

Hastings cancelled

Yes Ted. What did they do? Apply 5mm one day and 3mm the next. FFS!

What does racecourse management 101 say about that?

It's a bit dated now, but this is from Irrigating Racetracks - the Fundamentals, by Geoff Connelan, University of Melbourne, published in the Oz 2002 Manual for Racetrack Managers. http://www.racehorses.ro/doc/Racetrack%20Management.pdf

Racetrack Irrigation Scheduling

Racetracks are often irrigated by applying a reasonably shallow depth, for example, less than 5 to 7 mm.
There are various reasons for this approach, including turf managers being conservative and not wanting
to over water, and also there are limitations in equipment and systems that prevent deep applications. The
travel speed of mobile irrigation equipment, flowrates, performance of pumping plants and pipework
often limit the depth of water that can be applied.
Racetrack managers should be conscious of the consequences of shallow, irrigation applications.

They include:

• Encouragement of shallow rooted turf - drought resistance is limited and the surface has less ability to withstand stress (Neylan, 1992).
  • Water losses at each irrigation are higher.
  • Limited opportunity to utilise nutrients in the shallow root zone.
  • Knowledge of the actual soil moisture level and changes under the varying influencing climatic and irrigation conditions is very useful to the irrigation manager. There is much to gained through the actual measurement of soil moisture.

In other words as any cocky will tell you. Never apply less than 10-12 mls.

Does anyone know if John Allen was on course to witness first hand the disappointment/frustration/ire of the stakeholders who were let down by the outcome?  (I wasn't there but am informed by those who were that all of these emotions were in evidence ...)

from the informant site ...

There were several sticking points with the decision by the stewards’ team, led by Ross Neal, to call racing off. The number one question being asked by trainers was why the groundhog available on site could not be utilised to break up the upper layer of the track, especially when jockeys stated that they would be prepared to ride under those conditions.  

That same question was also asked by Hawke’s Bay Racing general manager Butch Castles and course manager Richard Fenwick.

“The groundhog’s all set up to go,” said Castles. “All we need to do is put the schedule back by one race and we’d have sufficient daylight to complete the programme.”

does that mean that they knew that there might be a problem before race 1?

Please remind me why we put up with slow nags racing for a sack of kumara when the tracks are knee deep in shite all winter? Silly me thought it was so we could look forward to days like today.

Situations Vacant.

Racecourse mismanager. Must enjoy playing Russian roulette on behalf of others. 

Is it a coincidence that Butch Castles moved to Hawkes Bay at the start of July. :)

I can't recall a meeting at HB ever being called off in recent times, could be wrong though

Now i could be wrong but i seem to recall a race or races were held at Wanganui due to Hastings being abandoned but i can't think what day of the carnival it was.Anyway it was a few years ago.

I mow grass as part of my job on a tractor most weeks during the season. More rain = more juice in the grass = slippage. Its not rocket science. When the grass hardens off due to less rain the mowing is easier as the grass is dry. By irrigating tracks to get these good 4 conditions NZTR demands you create lush moisture filled grass and abandoned meetings. You may be trying to put moisture in the soil but the grass uptakes this and becomes lush. This series of abandonments were unheard of years ago before irrigation, who cares if the grass looks a bit brown on TV.

I wonder if that Twiggy bloke will now bag North Island clubs as he did to the South Island earlier this year calling it a circus

Funny how it is we have all these "experts" running our racing now it is a complete balls up...where as in the old days this would never happen and I can not ever remember Hastings being a skating rink... the so called experts are quietly going about screwing up racetracks in NZ one after the other, and nothing is done to them???? This is a disgrace and if the industry does not stand up to this type of thing then it is doomed... sorry just my view.

ADM and mr Dickson cider you are both spot on.Years ago track managers were men who usually had farming backgrounds.Ditto many committeemen.They knew about pasture management and how to grow grass. SIMPLE.

gube - back then racing was not run by people that were only interested in lining their own pockets !

The problem started by having a good 3 track on Tuesday morning. Why was this?

They have got things around the wrong way. In my opinion all the water should have gone on before the Tuesday, that way the water has had the chance to soak in and then let the track improve through to dead 4 race day.

Instead they start off with a good track and put water on it to bring it back to dead footing leaving the top shifty and a not surprising result. It is arse about face! I have stated this numerous times "there should be no irrigation of tracks after acceptance time unless there are exceptional circumstances."

As others we never used to have this problem years ago, it has eventuated through the use of man induced irrigation and the shifting of the running rails.

What a joke! Health and safety has stuffed up racing now too!

Quite ironic that the main jockey that had a problem with safety was j riddell??

Horse slipped and it was dangerous? Same guy that used to ride in jumping races in all types of conditions? I wonder if he had a ride in the windsor today, would he have made such a desl about it?

I have watched the replay of race 3 and I saw 2 horses slip not just riddell so pinpointing him seems unfair. Can someone explain to me how the groundhog machine works ? As jockeys wanted it used but stipes didn't

Correct Jason, two slipped although the Stipes Report only mentions one. I have been awaiting the video to be put up on the NZTR website but to no avail. Races 1 & 2 videos are up, so why not R3?

Seems weird they didn't mention both horses my wife knows nothing about reading races and I asked her if she saw anything she pointed out the second non named horse slipping but she didn't notice Tiger Tim until I pointed it out

From the NZTR Minimum Venue Guideline Standards September 2013

6. Presentation of Tracks for Racing

Clubs are responsible for the management and maintenance of the track and must present the racing surface in

the best possible condition with a uniform dense mat of grass that provides consistent and reliable footing for

the horses.

NZTR’s National Venue Inspector is available to Clubs in an advisory and monitoring role to provide guidance to

track managers on operational and technical issues relating to track management, preparation, presentation and

race day management.

Other Issues

(a) Each venue is required to have an annual track maintenance plan that must be available on request to

NZTR’s National Venue Inspector;

( B) Where a Club has any concern as to the presentation of the track in advance of a race or trial meeting the

Club must contact the National Venue Inspector and/or NZTR as soon as any issue is identified;

© All venues that run Group or Listed races must have an irrigation system capable of producing a track

rated as GOOD 3 on the morning of the races;

(d) NZTR recognises the preparation of the racing surface is not always capable of precise control,

particularly having regard to weather conditions leading up to and on the race day itself, taking into

account the particular characteristics of the track e.g. soil type, soil moisture, grass cover and quality of

the irrigation system.

Track management will not be criticised by NZTR if they have prepared the racing surface in line with

the objectives of producing a GOOD 3 rating and that due to circumstances outside of their control, the

racing surface falls outside the GOOD 3 rating band on race morning;

"I am unaware of any safety issues at any racecourses in New Zealand and if these jockeys have a problem they should come and talk to me about it."

Yeahh right Greg. You'd hardly think anyone else including jockeys should need to tell you directly. It's blatantly obvious to the rest of the world.

Give it a rest Leggy. Your constant one tracked campaign loses you any credibility. Jockeys never had a problem with the track until race 3 and I can't see what is the problem with the statement. Are you saying he should have said. "All New Zealand tracks are unsafe and I refuse to listen to any jockey." Perhaps that would have satisfied you.

HEALTH AND SAFETY RULE AGAIN.

I am truly sympathetic to jockeys' safety concerns, but I'm at a total loss to explain what issues and consequences are so different now to the years of racing preceding the last two.

What on earth has changed recently to manifest the debacle our industry now displays to the world of racing?

We'll all be faced with the permanent demise of all gallops racing in the not too distant future should New Zealand Racing pursue the current course it's on.

Ruling and legislation to prevent accidents and injury is an impossibility.

Do jockeys throughout New Zealand not accept now they chose to work in a dangerous occupation?

(Perhaps our senior jockeys could contribute comment and opinion based on many years experience on our tracks).

Owners, breeders, punters and trainers have had a straw too many. Why on earth should we any longer be bothered with bullshit and incompetence.

The only thing that has some justice to it, (pardon the cynicism) is the administrators and entire workforce within the racing industry, will have no jobs either.

Incompetence and stupidity CAN be fixed. How come our industry hierarchy fail acknowledge it? 

slam dunk...

If is you who is in danger of losing credibility.

The Purcell statement is from the Morton inquiry and appears to be, either, false or based on unbridled ignorance.

Purcell says that he is unaware of any safety issues on any racecourse in New Zealand...but wasn't he aware of the money allocated to the resolution of safety issues at Awapuni...or not?

I await your explanation.

Thank you.

Ashoka