RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GONSTA

Hastings cancelled

WTF?! How many ml's of rain have they received today? Has been an absolute perfect week of weather in Hawkes Bay for what should have been an ideal track. Someone needs to be held accountable for this cock up, because quite simply it is not good enough. I understand jockey welfare always comes first, but this is just a disgrace IMO. Doesn't help i was up for a 4 figure collect on Kawi at $5... The overs curse strikes again.

Trackside Friday afternoon showed an interview by Sweeney of the track manager, who said they put 16mm of water on the track during the week as it was Good 3.  The idea was to have the track Dead 4 at the start of racing, and absorbent, so that if rain arrived as forecast on raceday the track wouldn't become a skating rink.  Avoiding a potential problem created an unintended one. 

Apologies for duplicate post below .. the site (or my computer) is being a bit cranky! .. maybe overloaded with the Hastings abandonment ....

Bloody hell. How disappointing for a good many people.No issue with the decision today given what the stipes were faced with. However how did we get to this?

I understand the watering during the week from point of view of "insurance" in the face of forecast rain on the day ... and the consensus seems to be that most of the track was in lovely order. Question remains - what happened to that patch?

Makes me wonder if there is something amiss/faulty with the irrigation equipment meaning that an area got overwatered??

Pretty embarrassing though for one of the nation's biggest racedays .... and anyone will struggle to blame the weather this time ....

Tony Pike certainly wasn't impressed was he...?!

Difficult decision I guess as safety is paramount, but calling off a major race day because one horse slipped..??

The Aussies are raging about it too apparently...."NZ Racing is a disgrace....etc..."

And where is Castles in all this....?? Too busy at the Buffet....??

What about the owners and trainers guys, once again they are taking the slack.

Ya really do get annoyed with this, never used to hear of abandonments - seems that these guys are trying to be clever and its not paying off....... :(

"I am unaware of any safety issues at any racecourses in New Zealand and if these jockeys have a problem they should come and talk to me about it."

Yeahh right Greg. You'd hardly think anyone else including jockeys should need to tell you directly. It's blatantly obvious to the rest of the world.

TIGER TIM (J Riddell) slipped free of interference losing momentum entering the final straight.

A meeting was convened with all riders following this event where concerns were expressed with respect to the shifting

nature of the racing surface. After a further meeting with club officials and riders the stewards deemed the racing surface

unsafe and abandoned the meeting at 1.54pm.

Unbelievable!!!

So we had a good 3 track Tuesday morning with no rain I believe, since. Yet the track turns out Shifty with horses slipping. So what caused this??? Oh... they irrigated on three consecutive days Tues, Weds, Thurs leading into today.

I wonder what could have caused this problem then............anyone have any answers??

Racing clubs that stuff-up this badly should have their licence to run race meetings withdrawn for 12 months.

Absolutely appalling.

Those that can do ...those that can't ...get themselves removed from the equation to give them adequate time to wake their ideas up.

Absolutely appalling.

As several have commented, I don't recall meeting abandonments like the number we are getting now ... in the '60s, 70s, and '80s when my interest in horse-racing was at its peak. People obviously knew what they were doing then. The march of time certainly doesn't necessarily mean progress, certainly not in NZ horse-racing.  

Absolutely appalling.