RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tatura

Pentire

if your breeding to race hes been around long enough to show the mares he really likes and there's many, my pick is mares carrying Tudor Minstrel (one of fastest horses ever ) on their male line 

post-8706-0-73662400-1442396236_thumb.jp

have moved Blue Peter, sire of Pentire's 5th dam Blue Cross forward one generation here but love the mirror image it creates using the names on the male lines of the mares and the position of the duplications as brood-mare sires in the stallion.   IMO one of the easiest ways to line breed to a stallion

post-8706-0-90646800-1442396816_thumb.jp

No, I think that it a long held prejudice against older stallions. 

Exactly fashion.

Fashion dictates that an unproven stallion can stand for $10k at the same stud and get more mares than one of the best stallions at stud in NZ who stands for just $3k more. 

To be fair it's not all fashion its economics. Pentire is a very good stallion but perhaps a notch below real top class.

He always has a few yearlings which sell well and often for very good money - $200k plus.

However on average his yearlings can be a bit hard to sell and are often around the $40 - $50k level.

That makes a service fee of $13500 about right.

I agree with Fitzy.

But an analysis of what they have recently averaged is not the only factor.

'Some' 15.3 shorter stallions leave smaller horses that are too much of a risk to even take to Karaka so are not put in.

I am not saying smaller horses won't end up running but it always helps at Karaka to have a bit of leg and size. 

I've always thought that the fashion was the economics of it all. In that you can pay a lower stud fee for an unproven stallion based on fashion , hype or hope and the sales scenario you describe above takes place.

As for the size of the stallion I take your point, however there are stallions out there that haven't even got a horse on the ground (so how do you know what size they are leaving not to mention other traits) yet they command a higher fee than a stallion that has left 43 stakes winners.  Go figure.

As for being a notch below the best, whose the best ,Savabeel? He has left 42 stakeswinners serving 13 less mares than Pentire has in his NZ career, 64% wnrs/rnrs compared to Pentire at 63%. But he costs nearly 10x the amount , if you can get in.

Huey I think your are wrong on your facts in saying 'Savabeel has left 42 SW serving 13 less mares than Pentire has in his NZ career".

Are you comparing SW to foals of Savabeel versus Pentire in NZ?

Ok, Studbook says Pentire has served 1444 mares in total , Savabeel 1431 mares in total. To date Pentire has a total 43 stakeswinners & Savabeel 42 Stakeswinner from what I can see.

Yes I know Pentire has served for longer etc and Savabeel larger books, but if this is correct at nearly 10x the fee its interesting. 

Has Pentire shuttled is that what you mean?

Huey you are way out on a number of fronts.

1.SW over mares served has never been a guide. S/W To foals or S/W to Runners.

2.Yes Pentire shuttled for many years to Japan.

3.Savabeel has served his biggest books of mares the last 3 to 4 years and Pentire his smallest. Why would you measure SW of crops that have not raced yet etc.

The last 4 years ( excluding this year ) Savabeel has served 721 mares and Pentire only 197.

So the Savabeel 1431 mares served take off four years is 710 mares served for 470 foals.

And Pentire 1444 mares served take off four years is 1247 mares for 859 foals.( these are NZ served mares and not what her served in Japan).

Check the SW and you are way out Huey.

Less the crops that are not born or have not raced or have not completed there 3yo year I have Savabeel at 8.2% SW to Foals and about 10% SW to Runners.

With Pentire in total worldwide I have him at 3.3% SW to Foals and about 4.2% SW to Runners.

I have not done the full analysis if you take off Pentire's foals that were bred in Japan etc but the numbers would not change what I have put down much give that he has got higher SW to foals and runners in NZ compared to when he stood outside NZ.

Look forward to peoples thoughts on my logic.

Pentire is privately owned Savabeel is syndicated and probably has had a better class of mare compared to Pentire.Both are very good stallions but I do think Pentire has had to do it the hard way and with the prejudice of size and age against him I think he is good value for an exceptional stallion. Great to see his sire sons now standing.

3.Savabeel has served his biggest books of mares the last 3 to 4 years and Pentire his smallest. Why would you measure SW of crops that have not raced yet etc.

The last 4 years ( excluding this year ) Savabeel has served 721 mares and Pentire only 197.

So the Savabeel 1431 mares served take off four years is 710 mares served for 470 foals.

And Pentire 1444 mares served take off four years is 1247 mares for 859 foals.( these are NZ served mares and not what her served in Japan).

Less the crops that are not born or have not raced or have not completed there 3yo year I have Savabeel at 8.2% SW to Foals and about 10% SW to Runners.

With Pentire in total worldwide I have him at 3.3% SW to Foals and about 4.2% SW to Runners.

I have not done the full analysis if you take off Pentire's foals that were bred in Japan etc but the numbers would not change what I have put down much give that he has got higher SW to foals and runners in NZ compared to when he stood outside NZ.

Fair enough you make some good points, I wasn't aware he'd shuttled. Any idea what number his stakes winners were in Japan?

I can understand the logic in stks wnrs to foals but isn't fertility a similar trait as a stallion leaving small horses? 

been trying to tell you,  its not the stallion, its the mare,  with the right mare you can quadruple you chances with any stallion  who's satisfied with  3 %  or 5 %     or even 10 %  I can understand why so many leave the industry

post-8706-0-66229700-1442485402_thumb.jp

can some one please tell me why Zabeel only left 3 Group One winners when crossed with 129 Danehill mares (one of those mares produced two of them) so only 1 from the other 128    and yet he left five Group One winners from 30 Vice Regal mares.