RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Taku Umanga

Metal lined whip?

Tell me.....

Anyone close to the industry will know the info to this question......as I am just a punter .....not hands on with horses...

Are all whips the same weight/ style etc? Are there regulations regarding weight etc of whip?

And for anyone that drives horses....having a heavier whip, or one modified like the one stated, do they really make a difference to a horse running?

It is obvious by what we have seen on trackside as well as the many times M. Stratford has appeared before the judiciary that he is not a competent driver and never will be so taking his license to drive off him will only improve the standard of amateur tote races

He is also not a competent trainer and the reason may well be the way he trains .

If he was going to use an illegal device at the races ( and who is going to believe he was not going to use it )Surely he would have tried it at home first and probably a number of other illegal devices as well.

Nothing wrong with the breed he has , other trainers have had good success with it - but not him ( I wonder why ? )

My opinion and the only way HRNZ is going to gain any credibility out of this is to ban him for life from training and driving

I think Mike Stratford is on committees ( Amateur drivers and Met) and obviously mixes with people in high places so the HRNZ decision will be interesting - " look out for the wet bus ticket"

This is one reason I gave up the amateurs as it was suppose to be fun and give the battling horses a break from the harsh racing environment , the day they bought in the whip is the day it went downwards not to mention ex professional drivers now in the ranks, Amateurs should be just that, you don't see this happening in other sports    

it is great to see that hrnz are taking the metal lined whip seriously there is absolutely no place in the industry for this type of behaviour, also you cannot blame the stipes' for the lenient penalty that stratford was handed down the jca had the opportunity also give a suspension .The jca is very much like the nz judicial system it was only just recently a galloping trainer had his suspension and fine cut in half when he appealed this trainer lined horses up at the trials the horses broke both front legs and the jockey ended up in hospital I believe the stipes could do a more complete job if left to police the integrity of the industry without having to being concerned that there decisions will be continually downgraded.

Badger.

You have to be having us on?

There have been that many decisions in the last year or so by the Stipes that have been inconsistent or just totally wrong.

They didn't make the decision to just fine Mr Stratford on the basis that it would be downgraded if they suspended him.

We need to have a lot more common sense and professionalism from our Stipes.

The other thing that amazes me is that somewhere I read where the trainer B Negus knew about the metal whip before the horses left the birdcage and strongly advised Stratford against using it. Why didn't he insist he didn't take it out on the track. Also the stipes only became aware of it when the horses were doing their prelim (guessing someone woke them up and informed them)

Brodie you were right it was the stipes decision for fine not the jca unfortunately it was the senior stipe mc intyre who suggested this, I have just read the stewards report, it will be interesting to see what comes out the hrnz meeting about this case I truly hope it is not a wet ticket as someone else has suggested. stratford is a poor trainer I feel sorry for the horses he trains the old fella he keeps lining up has tendon issues yet he still tries his best, you are probably right this is something the stipes should have noticed

I believe that Franco Nelson would respond far better to beach work rather than just track work.

the beach work keeps them far fresher and keen to race.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see Franco Nelson back at the beach shortly at a last resort to give him the best shot at starting in the cup this year.

May not necessarily be back with the previous trainers though.

Mike Stratford's metal whip hearing decision delayed

A verdict from the Harness Racing New Zealand (HRNZ) hearing into driver Mike Stratford's licenses will not be known until next week.

A HRNZ hearing was held on Thursday to review Stratford's license as a trainer and an amateur driver after he was caught on track with a modified metal-lined whip on September 11 at Addington.

At the completion of the hearing on Thursday, a three-person committee made up of Brain Wastney, Ken Spicer and Colin Hair retired to consider its decision which was expected to come on Friday.

HRNZ chief executive Edward Rennell confirmed on Friday evening the committee would not release a decision until next week because it was still working through the process.

Stratford faced a Judicial Control Authority (JCA) hearing on the night and was fined $1000 with no suspension.

But six days later, on September 17, HRNZ announced under rule 324 (1) it was to review Stratford's appropriateness to be licensed because of serious concerns from an animal welfare perspective.

The hearing was originally set down for September 25 but adjourned until Thursday because Stratford's legal counsel was unavailable and he requested more time to prepare for submissions in his defence.