RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Kawi - Windsor Park Plate

Why they put Reece Jones on this horse today is anyone's guess, a tragedy beaten.

its pretty well known this horse likes clear air so Reece decides to run up the ass of the whole field  and ride for luck, Dylan Mo rode it well last start and would of been a better option.

I didn't back it because of the rider thank goodness, I was pleased to see Sorino get up for Cooksley 

barryb well said. Doubtless the Lynch mob will be speaking through their pockets and getting stuck into Reece. Kawi was ridden differently than his usual Race pattern and raced much more handy than usual. This upset his breathing pattern and he overraced. Not Reece's fault he got beaten. I backed Kawi and was happy with his ride.

Watching the race the first time, I thought the ride wasn't a good one.  I always watch a few replays of a race before making a final decision in these situations.  Have done so and would now say the ride was okay.  Very unlucky and I couldn't really bag the horse or rider on the run.  I'm pretty sure Dylan Mo would have got beaten by further.  Kawi is seldom a good bet, as being a hype horse he pretty much always pays unders.

4 hours ago, gubellini said:

Newmarket factor in that Kawi has had limited racing right handed and in his only other start at Tauranga was beaten. In fact he has NEVER won right handed. The only tragedy is that people like you have a kneejerk reaction and bag the Jockey!

No knee jerk just stating the way myself and connections saw it. Did not back it  and the only good thing was it was only a  Grp3 race. Imagine that ride in a Grp !. given its previous racing pattern.

As always everyone's entitled to their opinion and that's mine.

I saw some poor rides yesterday, poor, I've seen too many poor rides since I've been back in NZ. It's a bloody worry, you can forgive an apprentice and use it as a learning curve, senior jocks here are turning in some shockers, Spratt's ride on Zuccato yesterday, I have my own theories as to why this is not a phenomenon, the Aussie jocks are no angels, look at Chad Schofield, he's positively dangerous and if something is not done, the chickens will come home.

The worry here is there seems no accountability at all, the stewards here seem to be all 'mates' with the jocks, like a club. What gives? I've seen some roughhouse riding with not even a mention in the stewards reports. Now that does not inspire me at all.

Cup week down south looks like it was a raging success, with Christmas coming up and the summer racing it should be an enjoyable time, however I just can't bring myself to punt on racing here, the behaviour of the TAB is enough deterrent, but the jocks here are way behind......alright if you are playing penny-ante but if you bet 4 figures, it's a dangerous exercise. Sorry to say, my dosh goes on Oz racing, until we see an improvement. With great jocks heading offshore, the likes of Macca, Stackhouse and Collet et al it will always be hard to replace such talent, but I speak through my pocket, might seem rather scathing, but no apologies. Of course the incoming comments will 'have a go' it's a democracy after all, but nada will convince me otherwise, more's the pity.

20 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Horse was unlucky but not the jocks fault if he gets a clear shot at them he surely wins but as they say...thats racing.

Kawi was the lay of the day once Reece Jones was confirmed as rider.

Having the chance to watch the replay over and over again(not talking through my pocket as I backed Soriano), it was a TERRIBLE ride.

Ridden up rounding for home to hold a position inside Farm Boy when it's well known the horse needs clear air to stretch out.  The result: being held up most of the straight.

If Jones had done his form and watched Kawi's videos as the good jocks do, he would have seen how the horse has previously been snagged back behind horses before being steered into the clear to unleash his finishing burst to win. Should have eased behind Farm Boy then brought outside him for one run as is Kawi's racing pattern.

Connections rightfully PISSED off - all the hard work getting the horse to the races to be given a poor ride by a jockey too lazy to do the form or homework leading up to  the race.

There were plenty of rides worse than that one yesterday and there will be more today and more tomorrow.  That's part of what racing is all about.  They can't all be Hector Gray.

What about Grant Cooksley?  55 years old (sometimes he looks 85) and he's been riding for over 40 years.  Human version of El Chico.  Good on him getting Soriano home.  She's a good one, as well.

Mmm Mrs Ed - bit OTT in my opinion.

You know for a fact the jock didn't watch videos etc?? 

As Bimbo says you see jockeys butchering horses every day. How often do we all pat a jockey on the back for getting all the inside runs, or getting a split etc etc. But very easy for that to go wrong.

Totally agree with you Bimbo about worse rides.

But if the proper lead up form/video watching was one, Kawi should NEVER have been ridden up to hold a position inside Farm Boy.

These jocks are "supposedly" professional sports persons.  If they aren't prepared to do the ground work leading up to races(especially Group races which are meant to be the pinnacle of the sport) they should find another career or stick to the amateur races.

JMac or Opie would have won on Kawi because they put in the form work leading up to their rides.  Too many NZ jocks just "Turn Up" and take the ride and collect their fee - that's a FACT and the owners pay for all the associated costs leading up to the race.

You have to have a 'standard' Bimbo, I'm a lucky bugger, I get to see racing in Rio, Buenos Aires, Lima and Santiago/Valparaiso in the America's due to doing business there, I don't expect however to see racing in 3rd world countries [ARG excepted] exceed the standards here, and by Jesus they do. No one expects all jocks to be Hector Grey, he got away with blue murder also no doubt, but the riding standard here has dropped, not improved, and there would be many like me that have voted by wagering in Oz/SING/HK.....IMO but based on 40+ years in the industry in some way. Loyalty is admirable, however as much as it will piss plenty off, NZ jocks with a few exceptions are lengths behind their Oz counterparts and IMO behind many many of the Latino jocks....cue the stone throwers.

7 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Mmm Mrs Ed - bit OTT in my opinion.

You know for a fact the jock didn't watch videos etc?? 

As Bimbo says you see jockeys butchering horses every day. How often do we all pat a jockey on the back for getting all the inside runs, or getting a split etc etc. But very easy for that to go wrong.

Sorry Col but I don't need to know for a fact because it's REECE JONES - his reputation is well known and MANY an owner won't put him on!

Like I said: Too many NZ jocks just "Turn Up" and the horses make them look good most of the time

3 hours ago, Mrs.Ed said:

Having the chance to watch the replay over and over again(not talking through my pocket as I backed Soriano), it was a TERRIBLE ride.

Ridden up rounding for home to hold a position inside Farm Boy when it's well known the horse needs clear air to stretch out.  The result: being held up most of the straight.

If Jones had done his form and watched Kawi's videos as the good jocks do, he would have seen how the horse has previously been snagged back behind horses before being steered into the clear to unleash his finishing burst to win. Should have eased behind Farm Boy then brought outside him for one run as is Kawi's racing pattern.

Connections rightfully PISSED off - all the hard work getting the horse to the races to be given a poor ride by a jockey too lazy to do the form or homework leading up to  the race.

ArmchAir Jockeys and hindsight are a fine thing.

2 hours ago, biff said:

but the riding standard here has dropped, not improved, and there would be many like me that have voted by wagering in Oz/SING/HK.....IMO but based on 40+ years in the industry in some way. Loyalty is admirable, however as much as it will piss plenty off, NZ jocks with a few exceptions are lengths behind their Oz counterparts and IMO behind many many of the Latino jocks....cue the stone throwers.

You can't expect them to be the equals of Australian jockeys.  Most of the time they are racing for only 7 k in stakes.  In general if they are up to the standard of Australian jockeys they will go to Australia and race for more, leaving jockeys of lesser abilities here in New Zealand.  That's just how things work.

I think lots of things contribute to punters wagering more on races outside of New Zealand, not just the quality of our jockeys.  If you punt for profit having jockeys of varying abilities is a bonus.

I still don't think Reece rode the horse all that badly.

Agree Bimbo and Swoopa. Chances are Kawi will get beaten next time he races right handed regardless of who rides him. Tauranga is a very tricky track and a lot of C.D. horses get beaten there no matter how good they are. I regard these personal attacks on Reece to be a bit harsh.

7 hours ago, Mrs.Ed said:

Lay of the day and Jonesy In the same sentence sounds like a omen bet :huh: