RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Lloyd Vivian

Spelling - what's your pet hate?

I'd hazard a guess, yep, to say that RUN is probably the second most-used word...

Actually, just thinking, maybe not...

One fine day at College our old English master gave us the task of coming up with words that had multi-definitions but - oddly, for a class of rebellious 14 year olds - did not specifically exclude such naughty words as 'sh*t' and 'f*ck'...

That period ended, as I recall, with a l-e-n-g-t-h-y caning session that had other teachers popping their heads out from their rooms in wonderment, lol...

Great days...

I'd hazard a guess, yep, to say that RUN is probably the second most-used word...

Actually, just thinking, maybe not...

One fine day at College our old English master gave us the task of coming up with words that had multi-definitions but - oddly, for a class of rebellious 14 year olds - did not specifically exclude such naughty words as 'sh*t' and 'f*ck'...

That period ended, as I recall, with a l-e-n-g-t-h-y caning session that had other teachers popping their heads out from their rooms in wonderment, lol...

Great days...

As far as I'm concerned, any word that Shakespeare used in his ramblings are good enough for me.

So whenever a jockey rides a shocker, or a trainer says on Trackside "with some luck in the running he could be a place chance", or anything else irritates me, I'm not above using the F, C and S words in quick succession.

Faye, I know your Jordan Compains god mother or something ?

I can confirm with you right now that I wouldnt know you if I fell over you. Dont know what you look like how old you are or what you do for a crust.

That to me is not a friend or aquaintance and i certainly dont know you.

Then don't bring my name up again saying you have never heard of me ... when you know that I have association with Jordan ...or did that just come down in the rain???

You sound like a social climber and I know you are NOT a trainer -

I'll just point out now (before somebody else does), that SET is arguable NOT the most defined word in the English language.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, the word with the most definitions is actually MAKE.

:)

The top 5 are:

MAKE

SET

RUN

TAKE

GO

The word set has 464 definitions. How many definitions does the word make have?

The word set has 464 definitions. How many definitions does the word make have?

What you have to understand, is that not all dictionaries are the same.

According to some, SET is the most common.

But according to some sources, the word MAKE has over 600 definitions.

Just depends on where you look.

OK I freely admit] and whilst Fordy and a few others can cause the odd grimace with their[ab]use of our great language, there are some simple mistakes that get right up my nose every time. However, instead of hijacking the various threads alluding to the poor spelling, I thought I'd start this thread and each time your pet hate occurs - you can simply add to the number!!!

So, I'll start the ball rolling with these common peralers:

1] The misuse of "Your" ie; "Your going to regret that!"

It is "You're [short for 'you are' - that's why there's an apostrophe for the missing 'a'] Your implies ownership of something. ie; "it was YOUR decision to buy it!!"

I feel better already..... :)

2] 'Loose' [pronounced looss] meaning: not tight; to set free;

and 'lose' [pronounced looz]. meaning: Opposite of win; to mislay;

Say no more..

3] 'Lead' and 'led'.

eg 1. "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him thirsty..."

eg 2. "I led the horse to water but do you think the ungrateful ##### would drink??!!" or

eg 3. [and this is where the confusion comes in with this one I think].. "Fishing sinkers are made of lead."

As with many words in our fine language, CONTEXT determines the correct choice of word...

I hope that has helped to clear up a little of the confusion that seeme to exist around these little words. Feel free to add your personal observations and helpful hints: together we can help raise the level of English on a site where so many it seems had their minds on other things in high school. :)

on the ilghetr sdie hwoeevr, how mnay poelpe raeilze taht we olny tkae noicte of the fisrt and lsat ltetres when we raed soemhtnig and can stlil unedrtsand it.

:-)

Oh well if picking on Australians is allowed...

The number of times those boys from the Deep South cross the ditch in Super Rugby and get referred to by the Australian commentators not as HIGH-lindizz as is correct but as HIGH-LAND-izz...

We need to retaliate and begin referring to the Brum-BIES and the Wah-RAT-ahs...

on the ilghetr sdie hwoeevr, how mnay poelpe raeilze taht we olny tkae noicte of the fisrt and lsat ltetres when we raed soemhtnig and can stlil unedrtsand it.

:-)

That's ONLY if you already know how the word is spelt AISIESET!

You try it on words you can't spell - you'll find it a LOT harder! :)