RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Lloyd Vivian

Spelling - what's your pet hate?

Won think that reely brusses mee off iz peepal hoo go on arbowt spelling! The ingglish languish iz won of tha hardist 2 masta becus it iz sow contrar diktree.

y iz Kat spelt witha C, but Citten is spelt with a K? I hav neva been givin thee ansa 2 that cwestchin. Mayb leeO kan giv me tha unsa? Cumon Leeo, kat/cat, kitten/citten. How du thay arrive at that spelling?

Won think that reely brusses mee off iz peepal hoo go on arbowt spelling! The ingglish languish iz won of tha hardist 2 masta becus it iz sow contrar diktree.

y iz Kat spelt witha C, but Citten is spelt with a K? I hav neva been givin thee ansa 2 that cwestchin. Mayb leeO kan giv me tha unsa? Cumon Leeo, kat/cat, kitten/citten. How du thay arrive at that spelling?

Great for those blessed with a good memory.

But why the hell torture people by expecting them to remember how to spell (say) the word four (in itself not that logical) and then when we go to fourty, we have to remember to drop the "u" - spelling it as forty.

Now that is illogical as there isn't even a difference in how the "four" part sounds. The language needs a makeover in my view - we are wasting good teaching hours.

I tend to have few problems with spelling ... my foibles are far more to do with how my two-fingered typing renders it, lol...

I agree with both Apprentice and Don, though - the primary purpose of language is to have others understand what you are trying to say. If you are understood who cares how you spelt/pronounced it..

Just as a curiosity, does anyone here know the single English word - and it only has 3 letters - that has the most meanings or definitions?

This here chocolate fish ... oops chocolate head-less fish ... is up for grabs.

Oops, head-less and tail-less chocolate fish...

Sheesh, head-less, tail-less and middle-less...

O darn...

Burp...

No doubt about it Apprentice - English spelling is really difficult to explain logically. I don't know why Cat is spelt with a C and Kitten with a K. It just is. Perhaps because it looks better that way! And while we're on difficult questions...why do Dogs hate cats?

Just be grateful that you grew up learning English and not German...you'd have to not only learn the spelling [which is relatively straightforward but does include words with 500 letters] - but also the gender ie] but a window is neutral [das fenster] - and then you have 4 'cases' or tenses to add into the mix as well!! It's no wonder that each village has it's own dialect and most struggle with correct [High] German!!!

Nah, I'd rather have my funny old English ... :)

lol. if I think people are being genuine, I will respond if they have they real name listed or not.

But names like Leigh McKenzie or Faye Walker might as well have no Real Name listed on race cafe, as I've never heard you name spoken or written anywhere in any form of racing publication. So in other words a no name to me.

Im the same, im a 22yo with 6 standard breds in work. Very few would know me, so the majority of people on here would consider me a nobody! which is correct.

In other words, unless your a Kelvin Zimmerman, Paul Moroney, zzz zzzzz or some other figure that most people would know. Real names are a waste of time.

You know who I am ... you've answered my posts on the Harness site -

Don't in future Brad - you must have a memory loss -

Im the same, im a 22yo with 6 standard breds in work. Very few would know me, so the majority of people on here would consider me a nobody! which is correct

You got that right - :rolleyes:

I

Just as a curiosity, does anyone here know the single English word - and it only has 3 letters - that has the most meanings or definitions?

This here chocolate fish ... oops chocolate head-less fish ... is up for grabs.

Oops, head-less and tail-less chocolate fish...

Sheesh, head-less, tail-less and middle-less...

O darn...

Burp...

I'll have a go.

eat , ate , tea , (eight) (tee)

You know who I am ... you've answered my posts on the Harness site -

Don't in future Brad - you must have a memory loss -

Faye, I know your Jordan Compains god mother or something ?

I can confirm with you right now that I wouldnt know you if I fell over you. Dont know what you look like how old you are or what you do for a crust.

That to me is not a friend or aquaintance and i certainly dont know you.

lol. if I think people are being genuine, I will respond if they have they real name listed or not.

But names like Leigh McKenzie or Faye Walker might as well have no Real Name listed on race cafe, as I've never heard you name spoken or written anywhere in any form of racing publication. So in other words a no name to me.

THAT'S GOLD Bradez , pure gold !!

Nope, Mannix...

The word I am looking for is spelt the same way in all of its different meanings ... and I have a dictionary that has 129 such different meanings.

Well Murray....

The word in the English language with the most individual meanings is the word "set", I believe there are over 450 individual meanings for that word.

:) I actually remembered something from that Phonetics paper I took.

Well done, hesi and elsu...

If only the Smilie Codes in this here site allowed same, I've give you both a shiny gold star right now...

Phonetics makes me laugh, elsu - why isn't it spelled as Fonetix to help the folk studying it...

Still, only English could come up, too, with a word like Dyslexia to describe 'a learning disability that impairs a person's ability to read'.

If only the Smilie Codes in this here site allowed same, I've give you both a shiny gold star right now...

Phonetics makes me laugh, elsu - why isn't it spelled as Fonetix to help the folk studying it...

Still, only English could come up, too, with a word like Dyslexia to describe 'a learning disability that impairs a person's ability to read'.

It makes me laugh as much as Lisp having an S in it :D

Still, only English could come up, too, with a word like Dyslexia to describe 'a learning disability that impairs a person's ability to r

ead'.

......can you check your Dictionary for the word RUN.

In recent times since more people run from the police , run from the IRD , get the runs , and run their mouth etc I think it may be catching fast ie making a run!!!

Cheers

......can you check your Dictionary for the word RUN.

In recent times since more people run from the police , run from the IRD , get the runs , and run their mouth etc I think it may be catching fast ie making a run!!!

Cheers

There are 179 definitions for RUN in the English language.

I'll just point out now (before somebody else does), that SET is arguable NOT the most defined word in the English language.

According to the Oxford Dictionary, the word with the most definitions is actually MAKE.

:)

The top 5 are:

MAKE

SET

RUN

TAKE

GO