RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Lloyd Vivian

Spelling - what's your pet hate?

Firstly I'd like to point out that spelling ability has nothing to do with intelligence. My mate at Varsity here in Dunedin is a double major in Physics and Maths, has just got a scholarship to further his studies in the US, and I doubt he could spell his own name correctly.

As far as racing spellings......

The number of illiterate in racing is incredible, but dont let someones inability to use "their" or "there" in their correct context fool you into thinking they are slow. :)

I was under the impressiont, tha you left high school and got some everyman's IT job?

.....some said it was 3 years in the fifth form.

Then the Auckland gossip 'drums' beat out it was actually 5 years in the 3rd form !!!

Now that you have been to the Mainland , there is hope.

:D

An English professor wrote the words: "A woman without her man is nothing" on the chalkboard and asked his students to punctuate it correctly.

All of the males in the class wrote: "A woman, without her man, is nothing."

Are you ready for this...........?

All the females in the class wrote: "A woman: without her, man is nothing."

Punctuation is powerful.

I think this is the furtherest I have seen a thread progress without uncalled for personal abuse. I'm impressed.

Moi aussi, tackle...

Am almost tempted to throw in a 'Your Mum' remark to lower this thread to the tone of 99% of all the others!

Firstly I'd like to point out that spelling ability has nothing to do with intelligence. My mate at Varsity here in Dunedin is a double major in Physics and Maths, has just got a scholarship to further his studies in the US, and I doubt he could spell his own name correctly.

I had a mate like that, elsu...

Way before your time, I know, but when I was at school to get NZ School Certificate you had to score a total of 200 marks in 4 papers.

My mate, from memory, got 90+ marks in Maths, Science and Technical Drawing .... and 20 in English.

Me, I was the other way round, I got 98 in English and mid-40 marks in Maths, Science and French.

(In my defence, girls had just been invented that year...)

So I 'scraped' home and he - almost illiterate, lol - romped in...

its not spelling,

but a pet hate is if somebody says something controversial someone always pipes up with something like:

WHATS YOUR REAL NAME

STOP HIDING BEHIND YOUR NOM DE PLUME

IF YOU HAD ANY COURAGE YOU WOULD TELL US WHO YOU ARE.

similar to this beauty posted in the last 24hours.

And if the rumours had any merit then the person who made them would back up with a real name.Obviously not true as they dont have that amount of courage.

WHO CARES IF YOU DONT KNOW WHO POSTED IT FFS.

You can chose to believe it if you want.

Whether its me, zzz, or M.H posting the thread is irrelevant in my opinion.

a pet hate is if somebody says something controversial someone always pipes up with something like:

WHATS YOUR REAL NAME

Indeed, Bradez...

There are a few noms-de-plume in here that I simply don't bother reading posts from anymore - because I find their posts any/all of asinine, racist or factually incorrect.

But I am a big enough boy as to know that there are those out there who might find posts of mine any of those, too. Not, I hope, racist...

This is called 'Freedom of Expression'...

Which works two ways - the right (within broad boundaries) to say what we like does not equate to a demand that no-one promptly ignores what you say.

If I am wrong - and this happens! - then I usually admit to being wrong.

I'd like to think, though, that I would not label anyone else as a kiddie fiddler without at least being prepared to put up some facts to support that theory...

its not spelling,

but a pet hate is if somebody says something controversial someone always pipes up with something like:

WHATS YOUR REAL NAME

Whether its me, zzz, or M.H posting the thread is irrelevant in my opinion.

Glad that you brought that up Brad -

I won't and don't answer any with a STUPID non de plume and some latley have been ridululous as well as stupid ... possibly don't want to be identified for reasons of their own ...

We all have names ... so use them -

its not spelling,

WHATS YOUR REAL NAME

Whether its me, Leo, or M.H posting the thread is irrelevant in my opinion.

Ok bradez, if you are making statements that are true and correct and not made up, why is there a need not be open in here.I like to know who I am responding to, it then gives you a sense of who you are dealing with, not some hidden identity, with hidden agendas.

Ok bradez, if you are making statements that are true and correct and not made up, why is there a need not be open in here.I like to know who I am responding to, it then gives you a sense of who you are dealing with, not some hidden identity, with hidden agendas.

says coolgel

saviour of the universe.

Great interaction guys - but just to keep things on track....

Have you noticed [and does it bug you too?] how people in racing, but especially jockeys and trainers, use a strange and very peculiar tense when speaking 'past tense?'

There are many examples but to sum it up:

"If he'd got the gap at the 200 we would have won." This is reasonably correct English.

"He gets a gap at the 200 - he wins!" This is racing parlance for the above.

There are a 100 different ways of using this particular tense but it seems to be a particular trait of those involved in racing.

We're a weird mob! :)

An English professor wrote the words: "A woman without her man is nothing" on the chalkboard and asked his students to punctuate it correctly.

All of the males in the class wrote: "A woman, without her man, is nothing."

Are you ready for this...........?

All the females in the class wrote: "A woman: without her, man is nothing."

Punctuation is powerful.

but abit of: brilliant work roughhouse.

My pet peeve used to be hearing a cricket commentator talking about a ball being driven into a vacant gap...

I'd yell out loud 'Of course it was bloody vacant. If it were occupied, it wouldn't be a bloody gap, would it?'

Perhaps not, but occupying the odd gap is still scoring.

Guest THE CASTLE
Perhaps not, but occupying the odd gap is still scoring.

Does the said 'gap' need to be loose?

My brother always laughs when he hears me talk about a horse being still 'a bit fat on the inside..' - like where else would it be fat??? :)

and the other phrase he loves, is a horse being 'ridden upside down!" Reckons that would nearly be worth going to watch....

lol. if I think people are being genuine, I will respond if they have they real name listed or not.

But names like Leigh McKenzie or Faye Walker might as well have no Real Name listed on race cafe, as I've never heard you name spoken or written anywhere in any form of racing publication. So in other words a no name to me.

Im the same, im a 22yo with 6 standard breds in work. Very few would know me, so the majority of people on here would consider me a nobody! which is correct.

In other words, unless your a Kelvin Zimmerman, Paul Moroney, zzz zzzzz or some other figure that most people would know. Real names are a waste of time.