RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Huey

Trackside Presenters as Jockeys Agents - a conflict of Interest?

Some interesting comments from trainers recently in after race comments conducted by trackside presenters who are also jockeys agents.

Is there a conflict of interest in Trackside presenters tipping out horses that are different to the information they may have received in getting their client the ride?

Racing NSW Stewards Media Release – Mr Brent Zerafa

Racing NSW Stewards advise that on the 19 August 2015 a charge under AR175A of conduct prejudicial to the image and/or interests of racing was issued against racing media personality, Mr Brent Zerafa relative to Mr Zerafa’s conduct as a TVN employee providing expert comment from the mounting yard on Race 3 at the Royal Randwick meeting on Saturday, 17 January 2015.

During the course of their investigation, Stewards have viewed footage of Mr Zerafa’s expert comments to both on and off course patrons as the field left the Theatre of the Horse to compete in Race 3, ultimately won by Palazzo Pubblico trained by Mr Sam Kavanagh, which was not one of the two horses tipped by Mr Zerafa.

The investigations by the Stewards have also identified text communications before Race 3 between Mr Brent Zerafa and Mr John Camilleri in relation to Mr Camilleri’s involvement with the stable of Mr Sam Kavanagh and including a tip from Mr Camilleri for Palazzo Pubblico to win Race 3.

Further, the text communications after Race 3 included an exchange where Mr Zerafa made reference to him not tipping that horse in his selections on camera prior to Race 3.

Mr Zerafa’s betting records on the said race have also been obtained which identified a wager on Palazzo Pubblico to win Race 3. The hearing of the charge will take place at a time and date to be fixed.

I remember Sweens apologizing for a Parke's winner - said he knew nothing about it.

Hang on a second, didn't he have anything to do with booking the ride???

I doubt there would be any other racing jurisdiction in the world that would allow this.

It just allows for skulduggery and leaves a sour taste.

It's clearly a MASSIVE conflict of interested and if anyone at the NZRB/TAB and/or Trackside had a clue presenters would not be allowed to manage jockies.

veryone has seen the footage of Rodley cheering Bosson (!! not the horse) home to win the Australian Derby. Does anyone really believe Rodley is 100% objective when discussing any of Opie's rides.

Big red flag if any of them are previewing a race and don't mention their jockey's mounts... what are they saying they don't give it a chance??? THEY BOOKED THE RIDE!!!

And as for enquiries, well Trackside made a shocking blunder on WEIGH IN earlier this year when they had Butch Castles and Paul Shailer debating the result of the enquiry into the finish of the Breeders Stakes involving Serena Miss (Leith Innes) and Nahema (Michael McNab) without either revealing they managed the jockeys concerned.

Sometimes the presenters hang themselves with their own comments, e.g. when Jonathan Parkes won a race by five lengths on a first starter paying $16 a couple of months ago and Sweens first words were "I knew nothing about that". Yeah right.... again.... HE BOOKED THE RIDE!!!!

It would never be allowed to happen in any serious racing industry, and one wonders what the fuck the RACING INTEGRITY UNIT is there for if not to stop massive conflicts of interests like this....

Fwiw I have no evidence or opinion that any of the jockey managers on Trackside (Rodley, Sweeney, Anderson.. any others??) have done anything unethical, but that's not the point. With turnover continuing to crash every day, it is critical that racing is not only clean but is also seen to be clean by everyone with an interest in the industry, most importantly the PUNTERS whom lest we forget FUND most of it (not the effing BREEDERS). 

It's not rocket science, Glenda and Postman Pat aka John Allen. Having supposed objective Trackside presenters moonlight as jockey managers is a massive conflict of interest and just asking for trouble.

Racing NSW Stewards Media Release – Mr Brent ZerafaRacing NSW Stewards advise that on the 19 August 2015 a charge under AR175A of conduct prejudicial to the image and/or interests of racing was issued against racing media personality, Mr Brent Zerafa relative to Mr Zerafa’s conduct as a TVN employee providing expert comment from the mounting yard on Race 3 at the Royal Randwick meeting on Saturday, 17 January 2015.During the course of their investigation, Stewards have viewed footage of Mr Zerafa’s expert comments to both on and off course patrons as the field left the Theatre of the Horse to compete in Race 3, ultimately won by Palazzo Pubblico trained by Mr Sam Kavanagh, which was not one of the two horses tipped by Mr Zerafa.The investigations by the Stewards have also identified text communications before Race 3 between Mr Brent Zerafa and Mr John Camilleri in relation to Mr Camilleri’s involvement with the stable of Mr Sam Kavanagh and including a tip from Mr Camilleri for Palazzo Pubblico to win Race 3.Further, the text communications after Race 3 included an exchange where Mr Zerafa made reference to him not tipping that horse in his selections on camera prior to Race 3.Mr Zerafa’s betting records on the said race have also been obtained which identified a wager on Palazzo Pubblico to win Race 3. The hearing of the charge will take place at a time and date to be fixed.

This is the bloke that replaced Andrew Bensley on Racing Retro Ted.

Probably fortunate that they are on a break....will be interesting to see if he continues to appear on it.

A wiser man than I once said of racing positions..."where there is no conflict, there is no interest"

I think it is better that this is out in the open, and they are there for public scrutiny. Mark Guest prominant Oz tipster/analyst is the agent for James MacDonald and Craig Williams is one example I can readily think of. Andrew Frost used to do Joe Moreira in Singapore.

Should a broadcaster also be silenced in any race where he is friendly with a participant, or where he/she has a share in a horse....or bred...please...bureaucracy gone mad.

How helpful it was today at Timaru to be told before race one, that the TV commentator had walked the track and it was definitely softer on the inside and got better with every stride toward the outer. We were told to watch them swooping down the outer. We then sit and watch all the flat winners come close to the inside rail. Is the guy, deluded or are other factors at play? 

I wouldn't typically take notice of what any commentator or presenter says.  Des Coppins could give out some decent tips and sensible reasoning when he was on and Steve Davis was good on TFC recently, but the rest of them are woeful.  I asked George Simon for a tip once and it got up by a nose paying just over $2 so he's one from one for me.  How Lance O'Sullivan rode all those winners with Stu Laing as his manager is beyond me.

I find Sweeney and Rodley both put me off racing and having a bet if they are on and I think part of that is the conflict of interest factor.  It might be okay in some peoples books,but not in mine.  Speaking about books, what about the time Rodley was trying to sell his on Trackside?  It's all very unprofessional.

You guys dont actually let a presenters comments influence your punting do you? No wonder the TAB is raking in the dosh.  have one bet this week $100 final field on a $7 place bet.  horse ran 3rd in the 8th at Cambridge trots on Thursday night.  Ignored the first two horses that the presenters raved over and just looked at what he had done in his races and thought it was a good chance of a decent return for a place. $700 return was better that a $120 return backing the favourite

You guys dont actually let a presenters comments influence your punting do you? No wonder the TAB is raking in the dosh.  have one bet this week $100 final field on a $7 place bet.  horse ran 3rd in the 8th at Cambridge trots on Thursday night.  Ignored the first two horses that the presenters raved over and just looked at what he had done in his races and thought it was a good chance of a decent return for a place. $700 return was better that a $120 return backing the favourite

i  see   what  your saying but   my  point  is    that  they   know more  than they say,   about    the  horse  especially  from people  that don't want  give  intervierws 

The point here isn't whether you're backing Trackside presenters tips , its the transparency of those tips particularly in relation to a conflict of interest as a jockeys agent. Whats to stop them from driving money onto another horse to up the price on one their charge is riding that they know goes good?

Racing NSW Stewards Media Release – Mr Brent Zerafa

Racing NSW Stewards advise that on the 19 August 2015 a charge under AR175A of conduct prejudicial to the image and/or interests of racing was issued against racing media personality, Mr Brent Zerafa relative to Mr Zerafa’s conduct as a TVN employee providing expert comment from the mounting yard on Race 3 at the Royal Randwick meeting on Saturday, 17 January 2015.

During the course of their investigation, Stewards have viewed footage of Mr Zerafa’s expert comments to both on and off course patrons as the field left the Theatre of the Horse to compete in Race 3, ultimately won by Palazzo Pubblico trained by Mr Sam Kavanagh, which was not one of the two horses tipped by Mr Zerafa.

The investigations by the Stewards have also identified text communications before Race 3 between Mr Brent Zerafa and Mr John Camilleri in relation to Mr Camilleri’s involvement with the stable of Mr Sam Kavanagh and including a tip from Mr Camilleri for Palazzo Pubblico to win Race 3.

Further, the text communications after Race 3 included an exchange where Mr Zerafa made reference to him not tipping that horse in his selections on camera prior to Race 3.

Mr Zerafa’s betting records on the said race have also been obtained which identified a wager on Palazzo Pubblico to win Race 3. The hearing of the charge will take place at a time and date to be fixed.

And the outcome: From the Informant: 

Racing commentator Brent Zerafa will fight a three-month disqualification over his part in the Palazzo Pubblico scandal, an involvement which has already cost him his job.

Racing NSW stewards yesterday found Zerafa guilty of conduct prejudicial to the image of racing for a text message exchange with John Camilleri before and after a race at Randwick on January 17 regarding the eventual winner, the Sam Kavanagh-trained Palazzo Pubblico.

Zerafa was giving mounting yard tips for the now defunct TVN and did not mention Palazzo Pubblico.

Camilleri, who has been disqualified for for four and a half years for his part in the raceday drenching of Kavanagh-trained horses, sent Zerafa messages earlier in the day saying: "Wonder whos been help Kav for the past 5 weeks", "Ive been helping him" and "Watch Palazzo in Race 3".

Zerafa's tips did not include Palazzo Pubblico, who he backed shortly before the race at $6, not the bigger price on offer earlier. After the race there was a further exchange between the pair.

In assessing the three-month penalty, stewards said they did not make a finding that Zerafa deliberately threw off on Palazzo Pubblico.

But they said his conduct "would give rise to suspicion in the minds of a reasonable racing observer as to the integrity of the information that was being provided and accordingly would impact upon public confidence in the industry".

After the demise of TVN Zerafa was employed by Sky Racing, which told him last week he was no longer on their roster

I remember Sweens apologizing for a Parke's winner - said he knew nothing about it.

Hang on a second, didn't he have anything to do with booking the ride???

I doubt there would be any other racing jurisdiction in the world that would allow this.

It just allows for skulduggery and leaves a sour taste.

Absolute rubbish. I have acted as a jockey agent for 9 years but it is with regret I advise i have not yet been invited to appear as a trackside presenter.

It is clearly because of my age and good looks   Skulduggery ????

I can assure you that frequently one is told by 3 or trainers  in one race  that their horse  will win  and none of them do

Absolute rubbish. I have acted as a jockey agent for 9 years but it is with regret I advise i have not yet been invited to appear as a trackside presenter.

It is clearly because of my age and good looks   Skulduggery ????

I can assure you that frequently one is told by 3 or trainers  in one race  that their horse  will win  and none of them do

That's not the point , the point is that this is another avenue that can lower punter confidence due to the potential conflict of interest.