RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Percentage Betting

Our pools are so minute it is laughable.A few days ago I got 7% of a $900 pool quaddie.I was probably the only one to select it.Needless to say most of the pool jackpoted.In effect me and many others are funding the mythical guaranteed pools on offer! The betting on a lot of overseas Race meetings would not cover the cost of printing the race sheets.Wall to wall Race coverage is a total failure!

Our pools are so minute it is laughable.A few days ago I got 7% of a $900 pool quaddie.I was probably the only one to select it.Needless to say most of the pool jackpoted.In effect me and many others are funding the mythical guaranteed pools on offer! The betting on a lot of overseas Race meetings would not cover the cost of printing the race sheets.Wall to wall Race coverage is a total failure!

Yeah I feel really sorry for those that don't understand the impact of the small pools. I was in a TAB recently and a guy was betting $10 and $20 boxed first fours with a handful of horses on almost every Aussie race. Most races his ticket would have been for only 5% so even if he hit the first four and the dividend declared was the pool he might have got 5% of somewhere between $500 and $1000 so $25 or $50 for his $20 bet. Clearly this guy had no idea (as do most people betting into the small pools) that they are basically throwing money away. If any other corporation such as a power company or a phone company In NZ made a change that wasn't understood by some customers and basically resulted in them all getting financially screwed the Commerce Commission would come down on them in a flash so I don't really see how the TAB can get away with it. At least if they made all pools terminating those betting into these pathetic pools would have a chance of a half decent return if they could scoop the pool with a 5% ticket.

Agree Lecithin & Bimbo

I used to like taking First Fours on the Aussie dogs (when the pools were commingled), and would quite often taken one dog to win, with the field for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for a %.  If some roughies came in the first four dividend would often be over $1,000. 

Nowadays if I took that bet type, I would generally lose money even if I was the only one to strike the winner.  The above example bet is 210 combinations, so unless there's at least $210 in the pool, mathematically I couldn't win.

It makes me cringe when I see a trifecta dividend of $500 and a first four dividend of $200, with a jackpot of $180. 

And then you also often see Trackside advertising in big green lights before the start of a race: First Four "brought forward" of $27.  Wow.  Surely they can programme their system to only show carry forwards of an amount which is not trivial.  Maybe I'm being too picky.

Trifectas on Australian racing have been a joke for a long time so I went away from them and instead enjoyed backing First Fours with commingled pools.  Now, unless you're a small punter, you're really only left with win / place or rubbish fixed odds dividends. 

The NZ TAB is going further and further towards only being attractive for small punters.  I can't see how they'll be able to afford funding the big salaries at Head Office if this continues!

good points racing84. i feel the first four should be withdrawn from the betting options until the comingling fiasco is resolved. the present situation is embarrassing and it does not reflect well that the decision makers at the tab are happy to sit on their hands and offer a betting option where the return is woeful at best. if they are not prepared to do that they must at least pay out the entirety of the pool when struck. 

re the % trifecta and trebles.at present if you have 5% and it cost you $5 you get the pool if you are the only one to strike it. does the same apply if you got 5% but your ticket only cost $1 ?

Racing84

The whole structure of betting is based on a 1950's model.

I have spent a couple of nights betting on the dogs, harness, UK gallops etc mainly to test run some software and it staggers how any sane person could possibly be attracted to that form of entertainment.

Its shocking that supposedly intelligent persons managing an institution such as the TAB could possibly allow such absurd and pathetic form of gambling to exist.

What is even more shocking is the unintelligent and ridiculously uninformed personel called the board of directors supposedly overseeing the operation. But what beats the cake is all the yes men, see nothing, hear nothing, just thinking of the family types running our race clubs.

Racing in New zealand should be thriving but instead it is seriously being restrained by those charged to steer it. And the answer doesn't lie in Australia or overseas either.

Don't know what your sources are Ted, but yes it appears you can have a $1 percentage bet.

Maybe I don't watch enough Trackside or something, but I haven't heard this promoted anywhere and the TAB website still says you need to spend $5:

http://www.tab.co.nz/help/bet-types/percentage-betting.html

Just a bit worried about taking a $1 percentage bet and not being able to collect on a terminated pool, as the TAB might deem the bet to be invalid (It's good to dream large).

I haven't seen it advertised anywhere either Bimbo. I was however in the right place at the right time when I heard a couple of TAB employees talking about it so clarified it with them hence starting the thread.

If you spent $1 on a percentage bet on a terminating jackpot and were the only one to strike it with say your 5% then my understanding is you would get the lot. Stand to be corrected but reasonably sure that would be the case on a terminating pool.

get yourself a betfair :wub:  account steady, post haste.

unlike the doom and gloom predicted by the likes of vlandys and the lemmings in the media :angry:   racing hasn't suffered.

wow......just look at all those strappers driving bmw 's :rolleyes:

There is something dodgy going on. I can smell it.

Why hasn't this below $5.00 percentage facility been advertised??

In the area of rebates, deals, bot type betting on close,  there appears that the TAB auditors have not developed a strategy.

Now I always understood percentage betting never applied to quinellas. Then why in pools of say $200 are quinella paying as much as $1000. It means there is 20 cents invested on the that particular combination.

Thats not a bad idea. If I could have just 1 cent invested on the winning quinella and no one has taken that combo then I scoop the pool. It appears the TAB has developed some system that going on past performances advantages an employee with their own account to "scoop" the pool.

Tried some sample bets,

Boxed 5 horses,put in $1 for bet and ticked %.came up as below minimum,suggested putting $3 as equal to 5%.that was lowest cost.

Boxed 4 horses,did the same and had to increase spend to $1.20 for 5%.

To get the $1 spend you would have to muck around getting the right combinations.