RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Opo

Prosecuting Sonny Tau

PROSECUTING SONNY TAU

I am pleased to hear that the Department of Conservation is prosecuting Sonny Tau, big man in Northland’s Nga Puhi, for the possession and indeed, so I understand, for the killing of five native wood pigeon or kereru (Hemiphaga novaeseelandiae). A Departmental officer at Invercargill International Airport is said to have found the five dead pigeons in Tau’s possession as he was about to board a flight. To hunt, kill or have in ones possession absolutely protected wildlife such as the pigeon is a serious offence under the Wildlife Act 1953; the penalty is a fine of up to $100,000 or two years imprisonment.

I must admit that for a while I was worried that the Department was not going to prosecute. I am afraid that from time to time the Department does show itself to be a little ~ over-delicate? pusillanimous? downright cowardly? ~ in its approach to Treaty issues. An old friend, indeed, was so worried that he laid a complaint himself at his local police station ~ where the girls in blue were not at all helpful, and rather surprisingly seemed to take a very dim view of citizens reporting criminal behaviour, at least where Treaty issues were involved. He thought I should also lay a complaint, and I was resolved to do so after my return from a few days down south. I even thought about urging all of you, gentle readers, to follow suit! But now I am back, there appears to be no need....

Continue reading David Rounds NZCPR guest commentary here > http://www.nzcpr.com/prosecuting-sonny-tau-2/#more-15450