RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
classic one

Sound and tough horses

Just looking to ask the mare owners who have been breeding for many years if they think the stallions from 30 to 40 years ago were more sounder and tougher than we have today?

Did the stallion who stood at stud 30 to 40 years ago have more race day starts than the stallions at stud today?

In reality probably not. Most stallions were well bred but relatively average race track performers.

Think Sovereign Edition and ever Sir T and Star Way. Well performed colonials were shunned until Balmerino and Vice Regal.

Faux Tirage was maybe the best race performed stallion to have stood here though Alcimedes and Oncidium were fairly useful.

Overall I believe that the breed was tougher back then, at least that's what a multiple Group One trainer who retired recently told me. He's in his seventies now so trained throughout that period, right up until two years ago.

I think you might need to refine what attributes you want in a horse.

Toughness might best be exemplified by steeplechasers and such but breeding this type of horse will surely send you broke.

However I think Soundness is a different proposition. A sound horse is one which will maybe race on from 2 or 3 YO days to perhaps 7 or 8.

You also want them to be genuine (i.e. triers) so they need a good mental attitude.

Obviously Sir T was incomperable in that he sired Golden Slipper Winners and GN Steeples winners.

Current active sires like Savabeel and Pins could be good examples. At he more economic end Zed could be an example also.

No doubt there are others.

I think fitzy's first comment is right , but also I think the training in those days was different , maybe harder. They certainly raced longer. These days it seems as soon as the Grp 1 win comes along, the talk of going to stud starts.

I have just looked at an older Stallion Register (1982) for some examples :

Balmerino  46 races  22wins 13 pl

Cherradi ( Taipan)  73 r 8.5w 17p

Chinkara ( Reindeer )  104 r 13 w 13 pl

Codeene ( Copenhagen II)  70 r  14 w 16 p

Crossman ( Tipperary Star) 56 r 21w 6p

Little Brown Jug ( Godovari)  36 p 16 w 12 p

Tono Bungay ( Wandering Eyes)  121 r 17 w 22p

One Pound Sterling ( Sovereign Path)  72 r 21 w 26 p