RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
slam dunk

Dogs muscling in on Gallops territory

Firstly why do Greyhound races always run late taking TV time away from galloping action? There should only a few seconds delay.

Next however I noticed greyhounds have taken over the higher TAB Jetbet numbers. Example Friday Waverley is now Jetbet #8 and the dogs meeting Jetbet #3. This has been the norm for a few weeks. It may sound a bit petty but obviously someone in the TAB is a greyhound fan giving more importance to a greyhound meeting rather than the local gallops meeting.

Firstly why do Greyhound races always run late taking TV time away from galloping action? There should only a few seconds delay.

Next however I noticed greyhounds have taken over the higher TAB Jetbet numbers. Example Friday Waverley is now Jetbet #8 and the dogs meeting Jetbet #3. This has been the norm for a few weeks. It may sound a bit petty but obviously someone in the TAB is a greyhound fan giving more importance to a greyhound meeting rather than the local gallops meeting.

Don't think so buddy, can you please explain how having a lower jet code means 'more importance'?? Interesting logic. I think you will find they have adjusted quite a few of the sport jet bet codes hence why you have been seeing things like 'M24 R1 Highlanders vs Waratahs'

As for dog races running late, it's normally only about 30 seconds. I can guarantee you on average dogs start closer to the start time than thoroughbreds who eat more into dog lead up times than vice versa.

There will be changes to some of our meeting numbers from Sunday 31 May.

• NZ Greyhound daytime meetings will be allocated meeting number 3 (previously M9).
  • NZ Greyhound night meetings will be allocated meeting number 9 (previously M10).
  • Australasian Thoroughbreds will be allocated meeting numbers 10 through to 19  (with Singapore M18 and Hong Kong M19).
  • Australian Harness will be allocated meeting numbers 21 through to 29.
  • Australian Greyhounds will be allocated meeting numbers 30 through to 39.

These changes will allow us to better align matching Final Field (Fixed Odds) option numbers to race meetings and to offer Tote pre-selling on more major meetings.

If you have any questions regarding these changes please contact TAB Customer Services on 0800 102 106 or by email on helpdesk@tab.co.nz.

Whanganui greyhounds Always run late..40 to 60 seconds hoping for the extra turnover and "stuff the preliminaries" for the next N.Z.Gallops race to follow.

i'd brought this up many times in the last year or two...i don't bother anymore due to the arrogance of Whanganui.

many other clubs also run late but not as consistantly and purposefully as Whanganui do

Sorry Hedley but it has become a pet hate of mine.

It is the Wanganui Greyhound Club and the Wanganui Jockey Club.....not Whanganui.

If you notice the TAB sheets they have it correct as Wanganui but whoever does the write up under each horse puts Whanganui (does Neil Davis still do this?).

It looks stupid and surely overseas punters must be getting confused thinking they may be two different places also.

Exactly Hedley.

There is no excuse for Greyhounds to run late whereas with gallops there is a chance of problem at the start. Even so if you look at Gary Phillips record he gets them away nearly always within 10 seconds of start time.

Clearly with mobile menus and such like its an advantage and easier to have a Jetbet number 1 to 10. However here is another case of innefectual galloping management that they allowed the greyhounds to muscle in. If you want clarity then it made sense having NZ gallops 1 to 6. Why mix a greyhound number between galloping numbers. Just leads to confusion.

the Harness code are the worst., the Galloping code has some difficult to load...but the Greyhounds are all standing statically and stationary awaiting the load-up call, with someone purposefully waiting untill the start  time's well and truly gone.

In the pantheon of funniest posts ever, this must surely be the funniest by far.

40 to 60 seconds late??  Funny as.  Imagine the outcry from punters if the races start early so quite reasonably dogs are boxed up when the race start time is reached.  No problems for any but the truly blessedly biased.  I'm amazed no one has mentioned the chariots - in my opinion (and it is all opinion anyway) the chariots are by far the worst.  

Ted - you may have a point about the names of the racing clubs but the venues can be quite correctly called Whanganui.  Seeing it's your choice to play the pedant card (I normally get to do so) it's perfectly correct to say that the Wanganui Racing Club is racing at Whanganui.

I'm sorry but this has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read - and I've read some ridiculous posts...

Forgive me if this is no longer the case, but my understanding is that it's the TAB that gives the "all clear" for the dogs to load into the boxes.  It is not the club's fault if the dogs are standing there ready to load-up but the TAB waits till after start time to give the go ahead.

In most cases they're probably giving some extra time after the previous trots or gallops race ran late... 

I'm sorry but this has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read - and I've read some ridiculous posts...

Forgive me if this is no longer the case, but my understanding is that it's the TAB that gives the "all clear" for the dogs to load into the boxes.  It is not the club's fault if the dogs are standing there ready to load-up but the TAB waits till after start time to give the go ahead.

In most cases they're probably giving some extra time after the previous trots or gallops race ran late... 

Correct on both accounts.A mate of mine said quite often they are waiting to box up but are told 1 minute delay as interview on tv still going,or previous race still running as started late because horse wouldnt load into barrier.

Its irrelevant who gives the load up call the fact is start time is at XX.XXpm and that is the time it should start.

AS stated there is no excuse for dogs to be late. Quite often I see handlers casually walking to the boxes and its already start time.

On the rare occasion I have a greyhound bet I do so on the basis bang its starts on time and is over in a few seconds. I don't want to see them walking back with the dog. I do that anyway every night when I walk the dog.

Many a time gallop preliminaries are shelved because dogs have run late. Now Michael Dore has been one of the few managers seen to be doing something but many a time his scheduling of dog racing around galloping detracts from the gallops meeting.

The beauty of the dogs is that they can be slotted in and around horse racing. They do not need the same preamble on the TV and in fact the more preamble the bigger the turn off.

Perhaps it should be changed to Slam Dunk TV, and you can dictate all the content.  Then you can have all the wonderfully insightful trainer interviews after the gallops meetings "yeah we'll see how he pulls up tomorrow and go from there" and you won't be forced to look at vision of dogs walking back after the race (bearing in mind that all of those dogs have owners who might be interested in watching their dog come back after a win).

And it's not irrelevant - it's totally relevant.  Are you suggesting the greyhound clubs should start their races before the TAB gives the all clear, or is your comment a crack at the TAB rather than at the doggies?

You gallops folk surely have bigger problems than the dogs running a minute or two late?