RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Krazy-Kat

Little Wonder

There's not the quality of mares available here to make a nondescript stallion such as him shine. The only winner will be the knackery. So when they go through for 100 bucks will you lot be sticking your hands up to buy one? Get real. NZ is in the state it is because of this behaviour, indiscriminate breeding.

There's not the quality of mares available here to make a nondescript stallion such as him shine. The only winner will be the knackery. So when they go through for 100 bucks will you lot be sticking your hands up to buy one? Get real. NZ is in the state it is because of this behaviour, indiscriminate breeding.

I disagree, I don't think you'll find many of these turn up at the sales I'd say he will be much like the other stallion in that area Eighth Wonder and will attract the breed to race crowd.

Good on them for having a go with this guy its good to see an affordable option with a bit of  pedigree.

So biff if that is your point of view, why did Zed work?  Having spoken to the stud, they know they are pushing the proverbial uphill being based in Taranaki - lets face it that was always going to be an issue with any stallion.  They are trying to aim at the same market Zed did when he first went to stud with the non refundable booking fee to attract more mare owners - particularly those small breeders who weren't intending to breed this season but may look at giving him a go.  He has also been advertised late so I personally don't think he'll get the mare numbers to him that Zed did obviously.

I think at that price, he's worth a punt.  Only son of Volksraad, and dam line is proven in this country.  Only time will tell of course!

biff...

I have to ask as to why you think that indiscriminate breeding is a problem for the racing industry?

I would like to make the following points:

• such breeding is done by people passionate about involvement in the racing industry
  • such breeders tend to race the horse they breed, themselves or in partnership with family and friends (no fleecing involved)
  • such breeding is done by people who, otherwise, would not be involved in the racing industry, in most cases
  • such breeders supply a backbone to the racing industry that is not provided by the transient moneyed class looking for prestige and tax write-offs
  • such breeders are more likely to contribute positively to the overall integrity of the racing industry than fly-by-nighters such as the current lot administrating the racing industry.

I look forward to hearing your side of this equation.

All the best.

Ashoka

Ashoka - you raise some noble, moral points however I would never make a statement without backing it up.  A case in question - a reasonable HKG racehorse, Floral Dynamite, was repatriated to Australia for a stud career with a small owner/breeder and judging by the results, I don't think you would call that exercise a success for several reasons.  The industry has moved on since the ZED "experiment", and as you can see by the results of the recent NZB sale, people don't want horses of insignificant pedigree or performance. The number of "Breed to race" people is diminishing and what happens to those horses they breed?  Most of the mares are poorly bred/performed and the resultant progeny are not kept on as pets etc etc in the event they can't gallop....in reality, the service fee is the cheap part of the exercise as we all know the ongoing costs are the killer. So why spend that on a relatively average performed horse/unproven stallion when for a little extra, there are well credentialed proven stallions who offer value for money with potential for racetrack success. Unfortunately NZ racing doesn't offer the same type of "outlet" for race to breed people as Australia does - there is an abundance of non-TAB and picnic races providing the perfect stage for a day out for the family to watch and enjoy their horse.  

biff...

I agree with all the points you have made but feel that you are coming at this matter from only one side, that being of the professional racing industry participant that you are.

My question to you is...what is the down side of a person "having a go" with a stallion that is not commercially viable?

Sure, it costs the same to look after and race an unfashionably-bred horse as it does to race a blue-blood. The people who breed to race know this.

Sure, the progeny of non-commercial stallions may be "put down" but this applies to the progeny of all stallions.

Sure, the breeder/owner/racer kind is diminishing, but how is this relevant to those who want to try this method of involvement?

How does the standing of a non-commercial stallion, and the use of such stallions, impact negatively on the racing industry?

I recall Anton Koolman describing the breeding of Gay Icarus to me as being "by the gorse bush out of the wind". How many other outstanding horses does this description apply to?

The vagaries of genetics is what keeps the racing industry viable.

We must not lose sight of this most important point.

All the best.

Ashoka

Ashoka - you raise some noble, moral points however I would never make a statement without backing it up.  A case in question - a reasonable HKG racehorse, Floral Dynamite, was repatriated to Australia for a stud career with a small owner/breeder and judging by the results, I don't think you would call that exercise a success for several reasons.  The industry has moved on since the ZED "experiment", and as you can see by the results of the recent NZB sale, people don't want horses of insignificant pedigree or performance. The number of "Breed to race" people is diminishing and what happens to those horses they breed?  Most of the mares are poorly bred/performed and the resultant progeny are not kept on as pets etc etc in the event they can't gallop....in reality, the service fee is the cheap part of the exercise as we all know the ongoing costs are the killer. So why spend that on a relatively average performed horse/unproven stallion when for a little extra, there are well credentialed proven stallions who offer value for money with potential for racetrack success. Unfortunately NZ racing doesn't offer the same type of "outlet" for race to breed people as Australia does - there is an abundance of non-TAB and picnic races providing the perfect stage for a day out for the family to watch and enjoy their horse.  

Biff who are these proven stallions who offer value for money? 

I guess you can look at each of the older proven horses by comparing their SW to runners and foals.

Remembering that Zed's first crop had a low amount of horses run, not because they were not good enough but because they were left up the hills on the farm!

From my point of view you can look at these old proven stallions or chance your arm like many of us did at stallions in the $4000 to $8000 range.

Last year Per Incanto was $5000 and Tavistock was $7000.

Both are fully booked at $15000 this year and I feel both will be much more than this in 12 months time based on results to come in the next 12 months. So one can quickly have a huge commercial windfall on their hands.

Two years after a smart unproven stallion can result in a horse worth a lot of money.

Worth some thought.

Look at these unproven stallions race records. Some have raced up to the best Group One standards in the world.

Perfectly Ready, Nadeem, Bachelor Duke, Keeper, Coats Choice, Gallant Guru, shall I go on.

I agree on most of those , but we are talking about a stallion here who is standing for $1k , the lowest advertised stud fee of those that you mention is $4k and you'd need to get to the SI to use him as well and the highest $7k. So the $1k for a young stallion who showed a good turn of foot and has a nice pedigree behind him including a couple of Champions in the first two dams looks a reasonable shot to me.

I also note of those that you have mentioned some of those stallions  must be termed nondescript as you put it , given the likes of Nadeem(3) & Bachelor Duke(6) had stock go through the recent weanling sales for $300 or less?

Please note I have nothing to do with Little Wonder the stallion but am pleased to see him given his chance.

The weanling sales in NZ are a clearing house, if you ever get a trainers licence Huey you'll know what I mean. If someone can't afford 4-7k for a service they shouldn't be racing horses.....buying them is the cheap part Huey, unfortunately there are many that get in over their head......euphoria and then despair. End of from me, but good to have healthy argument with intelligent people.

biff...

I realise that, as a "scum" supporter, your last sentence does not apply to me.

I am stating this in order to save you the time and trouble of having to point this out to me.

All the best.

Ashoka

:) :) :)

The weanling sales in NZ are a clearing house, if you ever get a trainers licence Huey you'll know what I mean. If someone can't afford 4-7k for a service they shouldn't be racing horses.....buying them is the cheap part Huey, unfortunately there are many that get in over their head......euphoria and then despair. End of from me, but good to have healthy argument with intelligent people.

C'mon Biff thats just an excuse to try and justify the advertised price.

But its a whole to new argument in itself.