RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rosemary telephone operator

The "Greatest Ever" plays his 50th Test this Saturday!

They sure did! I had your Mum's 'beaver burger' again!:D

Nice one - the "mum" or "wife" comebacks are always the best, and we need to see more of them on here.

I used one on another thread and got crucified for it.

Nice one - the "mum" or "wife" comebacks are always the best, and we need to see more of them on here.

But Chris is untouchable, PFF...

I am only surprised that with there now being a 'Super Moderator' about that Chris hasn't been given the honorary title of 'Not Quite A Super Moderator But So Close To It You Wouldn't Believe It'...

Maybe in the next zzz's Birthday Honours List, eh?

The 3 seconds of footage of the ABs playing indoor soccer on the news the other night was just enough time for Captain Fantastic to put in the perfect cross only for Nonu to Ma'assacre the shot in front of an open goal. All he had to do was lift a leg (either one) to nudge it in but it was like they were nailed to the floor. Had to chuckle

All's said and done, who cares anyway - he's a 2nd five! 2nd least important position on the field.

The 3 seconds of footage of the ABs playing indoor soccer on the news the other night was just enough time for Captain Fantastic to put in the perfect cross only for Nonu to Ma'assacre the shot in front of an open goal. All he had to do was lift a leg (either one) to nudge it in but it was like they were nailed to the floor. Had to chuckle.

If all the All Blacks had to do to score was 'lift a leg (either one)' then surely Mils 'The P*sser' Muliaina would be your man?

:tongue:

In short, Mauger was an imposter.

Don't agree Chris. How many mid field backs that were not goal kickers have scored 100 points for the ABs.

Slightly off the subject I know but my top 12 (not in any particular order) MIDFIELD backs (not sure if they all played 2nd 5 or not) would be

Bruce Robertson

Terry Lineen

Tana Umaga

Bill Davis

Walter Little

Frank Bunce

Joe Stanley

Grahame Thorne

Bill Osborne

Pat Walsh

Ian MacRae

Aaron Mauger

with Ma'a and Conrad both closing in. Have probably forgotten someone. :D

Yes Picket, but that was before your catholic upbringing got the better of you.:D

No chance of this product of the Coutts Street Academy suffering any form of humility whatsoever! :D

they're about as old as a Morris Minor.

They stopped being funny in about 1995!

The 3 seconds of footage of the ABs playing indoor soccer on the news the other night was just enough time for Captain Fantastic to put in the perfect cross only for Nonu to Ma'assacre the shot in front of an open goal. All he had to do was lift a leg (either one) to nudge it in but it was like they were nailed to the floor. Had to chuckle

That's a good tale bblunt.

It reminds me of a cricket training I attended many moons ago. One of our batsmen was in the nets facing our leg-spin bowler, and he wasn't using his feet to get to the pitch of the deliveries....which really p*ssed our coach off no-end!

Finally he'd had enough and cracked!

"PJ!! For f*cks sake! Take those f*cken nails out of your feet. It's not Easter!!"

Don't agree Chris. How many mid field backs that were not goal kickers have scored 100 points for the ABs.

Slightly off the subject I know but my top 12 (not in any particular order) MIDFIELD backs (not sure if they all played 2nd 5 or not) would be

Bruce Robertson

Terry Lineen

Tana Umaga

Bill Davis

Walter Little

Frank Bunce

Joe Stanley

Grahame Thorne

Bill Osborne

Pat Walsh

Ian MacRae

Aaron Mauger

Osborne and Robertson for mine Moz. Surrounded by Loveridge,Carter,Lomu,Bryan Williams,and Cullen. Bonjour.

Bruce Robertson

Terry Lineen

Tana Umaga

Bill Davis

Walter Little

Frank Bunce

Joe Stanley

Grahame Thorne

Bill Osborne

Pat Walsh

Ian MacRae

Aaron Mauger

Moz....are you really THAT old?

Pat Walsh!...Davis!...Lineen!

I have no problem in giving credit to players of past generations but for the purpose of my 'Top 10', I limited it to players that I have actually seen play.

Think Aaron Mauger...think Taine Randell.

Both players came through 'the system' ( which isn't always a good thing, as it's sometimes harder to get out of the system than in it ), and both were earmarked for captaincy or leadership roles from a long way out....which is where the problems started, as it leads to inflexibility with planning.

Both Randell and Mauger looked competent with great players around them. Take those great players away and they're suddenly very ordinary.

Nonu has effectively carried the Hurricanes, and sometimes the AB's, on his own for quite some time now. Can you honestly say that if Mauger was placed in the same position that he would have had the same impact Nonu has had?

No. Thought not.;)

Anyway, I'm flying down to Chch for the game on Sat and would like to take this chance to invite any of the RaceCafe sheepshaggers to the 'Grumpy Moll(sp?)' for a pre-game drink.

I'll be the hard-looking carnt in the Hurricanes jersey.;)

Great thread Taylor and nice wind up:D

The toughest to mark for mine was a bloke named Eroni Clarke.Size,Strength and Speed,key ingredients for operating at 2nd 5.Ronny lacked the skill of a Walter Little or a Lee Stensness but for sheer difficulty in marking and stopping he was the man in my era.

Walter was a different kettle of fish.He could easily make you look as though you had 2 left feet and grasping at thin air!Frank Bunce always left you wondering 'where is he now':tongue: ...make a slight mistake and he punished you.But the biggest defender in my time would have to be Rhys Ellison.

Chris Ellis was under rated also.

John Hainsworth had to be the biggest and strongest,but over rated.

The best All Black 2nd 5s ever?I'd love to be as old as Moz:D but I never saw the likes of McRae and Davis,but the Old Man would rave about them.

My top 5 1975-2010

1-Bill Osborne-had it all.Only 20 when he went to South Africa and he more than matched the big boys.In and Out of top level rugby for various personal reasons but was a tough defender.The first bloke I ever saw beat a man on the outside while drifting out with the pass.Pure skill.

2-Warwick Taylor-Underrated but did everything right all the time.Ball in 2 hands and offloaded over defenders,solid,reliable.

3-Walter Little.Magic.The best ball skills of the lot.Had an uncanny ability to beat men even when they think they have him lined up.I know,he brushed me off one day like a scorned little girl..haha

4-Stephen Pokere-Small and slight and maybe wouldnt stand up to todays athletes but gee he was sharp and silky smooth.

5-Aaron Mauger.I do rate this bloke.Good on his feet and an excellent kicker.Sorry CT but Nonu dont rate!I'm happy with him in this ABs outfit but I hope SBW proves to have the goods:D

I'll buy you a beer to show there is no animosity between us..;)

Great thread Taylor and nice wind up:D

The toughest to mark for mine was a bloke named Eroni Clarke.Size,Strength and Speed,key ingredients for operating at 2nd 5.Ronny lacked the skill of a Ma'a or a John Schuster but for sheer difficulty in marking and stopping he was the man in my era.

Walter was a different kettle of fish.He could easily make you look as though you had 2 left feet and grasping at thin air! But he's not a touch on Ma'a.

Frank Bunce always left you wondering 'where is he now':tongue: ...make a slight mistake and he punished you.But he didn't punish you as much as Ma'a punishes you.

But the biggest defender in my time would have to be Rhys Ellison...though he didn't hit as hard as Ma'a.

Chris Ellis was under rated also....in much the same way Ma'a is.

John Hainsworth had to be the biggest and strongest,but over rated.....unlike Ma'a.

The best All Black 2nd 5s ever?I'd love to be as old as Moz:D but I never saw the likes of McRae and Davis,but the Old Man would rave about them....just as I rave on about Ma'a to my litter.

My top 5 1975-2010

1-Ma'a Nonu ( Wgtn )-has it all.Only 20 when he made his debut against England and he more than matched the big boys.In and Out of top level rugby for various personal reasons but is a tough defender.The first bloke I ever saw beat a man on the outside while drifting out with the pass.Pure skill.

2-Tana Umaga ( Wgtn )-Underrated but did everything right all the time.Ball in 2 hands and offloaded over defenders,solid,reliable.

3-John Schuster ( Wgtn ).Magic.The best ball skills of the lot.Had an uncanny ability to beat men even when they think they have him lined up.I know,he brushed me off one day like a scorned little girl..haha

4-Stephen Pokere ( Wgtn )-Small and slight and maybe wouldnt stand up to todays athletes but gee he was sharp and silky smooth.

5-Jason O'Halloran ( Wgtn ).I do rate this bloke.Good on his feet and an excellent kicker.You're right CT and you've been right all along....I really rate Nonu! and SBW doesn't stand a chance in hell of toppling Ma'a for the no1 spot.

I'll buy you a beer to show that there is no bigger admirer of your superior rugby knowledge than I!

In one Cat! Well said!

Moz....are you really THAT old?

Pat Walsh!...Davis!...Lineen!

I have no problem in giving credit to players of past generations but for the purpose of my 'Top 10', I limited it to players that I have actually seen play.

Think Aaron Mauger...think Taine Randell.

Both players came through 'the system' ( which isn't always a good thing, as it's sometimes harder to get out of the system than in it ), and both were earmarked for captaincy or leadership roles from a long way out....which is where the problems started, as it leads to inflexibility with planning.

Both Randell and Mauger looked competent with great players around them. Take those great players away and they're suddenly very ordinary.

Nonu has effectively carried the Hurricanes, and sometimes the AB's, on his own for quite some time now. Can you honestly say that if Mauger was placed in the same position that he would have had the same impact Nonu has had?

No. Thought not.]

Nonu stands out as a hard running crash and bash like individual who rarely passes the ball...kicks less than Ali or Zinzan...but all his coaching "Catch the ball and run hard Ma'a" does make great viewing....would look more at home in a Warriors Jersey

Mauger was "merely" an integral part of a team who with Tana formed the best Midfield pairing since Bunce and Little...whos silky passes and deft chips in behind the line set his teammates up on numerous occassions..

Cheers

Jezza

Mauger was "merely" an integral part of a team ...whos deft chips in behind the line used to infuriate his teammates because he was giving possession away!!...yet some people think kicking the ball away is an attribute!! Secretly though, his teammates knew that the only reason he kicked it was because he lacked the physical strength needed to take the ball into contact and attempt to retain possession of the Gilbert.

Cheers

Helen Keller

Nailed! :y:

:eek:

Danger, Will Robinson, danger...

Severe sarcasm follows...

Chris, I'm just astonished that you couldn't find room in your All Time Great List for that princely Bernie McCahill...

McCahill played 32 matches for the All Blacks including 10 tests and as well as two World Cup tournaments participated in five tours.

He scored, I see, 4 tries for the All Blacks - against such powerhouse nations as Newport, Leinster, Mar del Plata and Canada.

No easy games against midweek nations like Australia and South Africa for Bernie, no sirree...

Danger, Will Robinson, danger...

Severe sarcasm follows...

Chris, I'm just astonished that you couldn't find room in your All Time Great List for that princely Bernie McCahill...

McCahill played 32 matches for the All Blacks including 10 tests and as well as two World Cup tournaments participated in five tours.

He scored, I see, 4 tries for the All Blacks - against such powerhouse nations as Newport, Leinster, Mar del Plata and Canada.

No easy games against midweek nations like Australia and South Africa for Bernie, no sirree...

Ho ho ho:D

I'll do all the p*sstaking on this thread thank you very much Murray!;)

That's a good tale bblunt.

It reminds me of a cricket training I attended many moons ago. One of our batsmen was in the nets facing our leg-spin bowler, and he wasn't using his feet to get to the pitch of the deliveries....which really p*ssed our coach off no-end!

Finally he'd had enough and cracked!

"PJ!! For f*cks sake! Take those f*cken nails out of your feet. It's not Easter!!"

good stuff, i've never heard that one.. i'll try and pull it out this summer.

haddin's crack at skippy at the basin was ok "after all these years i see your laces are still tied together" a bit predictable, still can't expect too much from a convict