RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mr Spyro

Once Again....

Those lines betweeen journalist and jockey manager cross,  with Mike Dillion giving Brendan Hutton a rap in Herald this morning.  Saying how impressed trainers are with his riding (  that would be true ) but you wouldn't guess Dillion is his manager.

It's taken me a while but i have only just worked out why a lot of our racing journalists don't comment on certain issues when regarding certain trainers.

It is becausetheir client (jockey) will be considered to be an associate of the journalist therefore guilty by association would translate into no rides from me for your client.

I am such a dumb ass that the penny has taken so long to drop.

It really is a pretty laughable situation - esp when these obvious conflicts of interest are not declared.

Trouble is, this is a fairly small bowl the industry fish swim in - the gene pool is limited.  Roles will overlap and allegiances will test impartiality.

But the least they should do is be up-front and declare any conflict - or potential conflict of interest.   

Perception can be just as damaging as realityin these matters.

Most outfits have rules in place about this these days ...

Have to say I have been pretty disappointed with the way he has ridden this season, I thought he might have been a good addition to the 'senior' riding ranks but the fact he still has his 1 kg claim after all this time perhaps says something about his last few seasons, I hope he can get back to his more vigorous riding he used to be well known for.

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 7:40 PM, jess said:

It really is a pretty laughable situation - esp when these obvious conflicts of interest are not declared.

Trouble is, this is a fairly small bowl the industry fish swim in - the gene pool is limited.  Roles will overlap and allegiances will test impartiality.

But the least they should do is be up-front and declare any conflict - or potential conflict of interest.   

Perception can be just as damaging as realityin these matters.

Most outfits have rules in place about this these days ...

Jess when the genepool gets too limited you end up intermarraige. That is what we have, I am your cousin but we are living in wedded bliss sort of thing.

Ha!  Canelo! - the old "kissing cousins" concept.  I've never agreed with that law that says first cousins can marry!   Mind you - there are a lot of things you can do  - but the fact they're possible doesn't mean they're a good idea!!

At least you and I have not procreated together.  Because therein lies another interesting concept:  breed close up and produce a dud - it's inbreeding.  Breed close up and produce a champion - and it's a master-stroke of line-breeding / doubling up.    

46 minutes ago, jess said:

Ha!  Canelo! - the old "kissing cousins" concept.  I've never agreed with that law that says first cousins can marry!   Mind you - there are a lot of things you can do  - but the fact they're possible doesn't mean they're a good idea!!

At least you and I have not procreated together.  Because therein lies another interesting concept:  breed close up and produce a dud - it's inbreeding.  Breed close up and produce a champion - and it's a master-stroke of line-breeding / doubling up.    

True Jess, I too never understood the first cousin/second cousin law it is backward and illogical. Polygomy is legal in Utah but why would a man want the stress of more than one wife? As far as champions are concerned, the breeding buffs say it all comes down to the right mix and the right sex...hmmmm

Mmmm.  This breeding caper is both an art and a science.  And a fair dollop of B.S. too.

I do like an saying a grand old breeder and good mate said to me years back though - good horses come from good horses - champions come from anywhere.  There's actually a bit of truth there ....  

The newspaper is at fault. A professional/quality publication (eg, The Australian newspaper) usually requires a note at the end of an article to identify the writer. In the case mentioned in this topic, if Mike Dillon is the Manager of a B Hutton and he is writing a comment about B Hutton, a professional publication would require him to add - " Mile Dillon is the Manager of B Hutton". 

Professionalism is the word I would use. If Patrick Hogan was asked to write an article on TB breeding and mentions in that article the deeds of Tavistock, then at the foot of the article they should place the words, " Patrick Hogan is the Principal of Cambridge Stud Horse Breeding Operation". That should have happened in Dillons case but the slackness in sub-editing standards probably didn't require him to do so. So it's a poor reflection on both the newspaper and MD - and both should know better. 

Agree with all of that, people.  Well said.  As for sub-editing - there's less & less of that now.  Just read any mainstream newsfeed on the web - I've never seen more errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar & vocabulary as I have in the last couple of years.   

Given the lack of emphasis educationally on such things I guess us oldies better just get used to it or we'll turn into grumpy old curmudgeons.

Then there's the general quality of journalism.  How many times do you read an article and learn nothing of significance because what passes for news or investigative journalism these days is often just dross  eg.an article about someone who has been killed in dramatic circumstances - often the dear departed was a "colourful character" (ie. recidivist criminal) who was "turning his life around" (ie. had enrolled on a course so he could access a student loan & hadn't appeared in court for the last month or so) - half the article is quotes of half-literate txt-speak tributes from a facebook page and it ends with a givealittle page to support the kids (kids the dead person never supported when he was alive anyhow). 

I guess it is the modern-day equivalent of journos "interviewing their typewriters".

Excuse my cynicism.  Going outside now to take in some sun - my next post will be way more positive & cheerful.  And I promise you no-one will be launching a givealittle page to fund the counselling of which I am so clearly in need  ...  :P 

jess...

Yes, the truth may hurt, but it remains the truth. The actual extent of what you have described in your last post is now at absolutely mind-boggling levels, but only perceived by those who still think for themselves. This is an ever-dwindling minority group, unfortunately.

All the best.

Ashoka