RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Guest 2Admin2

Bonecrusher - The Equine Immortal - RIP

Guest 2Admin2

Bonecrusher passed away this morning. Condolences to the Mitchell family who have cared for him for 30+ years.

Champion champion champion champion champion

Some of his wins were hard to believe.AJC Derby,Tancred and NZ Derby.Magic horse.

I always wondered how he would have gone if he hadn't gone to Japan.

An Ozi bloke tried to bag him to me one day.I was speechless.

He always put in.How good would it have been to own him.RIP Big fella.

Amen to all that! What a wonderful, CHAMPION horse. I was riding work at Takanini for most of his career and well remember Big Red from those days. Adrian Burns used to ride him in a lot of his regular work and I remember him often working up the straight with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. [ Bonecrusher that is - not Adrian! ] Always reminded me of Phar Lap, [ not that I ever saw HIM!] but because he was built a bit like him - big raw-boned sort of a horse as I remember him.

After sustaining a nasty head injury early in his career, I think Gary 'Chopper' Stewart was only interested in being a jockey while 'Big Red' was around and can't say I blame him for that - what a freakish horse to be associated with! 

I remember watching him on course, when he won the Air New Zealand Stakes and that win brought tears to my eyes and sent chills down my spine. He was probably the gutsiest, most determined horse I have seen. Carolyn Pomare [nee Condie at the time] who used to work for Frank, told me that he earned his name during the breaking-in process! That grit and fierce determination were seen so clearly in many of his wins - but particularly in that special Cox Plate of 1986!!

Gone - but never forgotten Champ! :)

1986 Cox Plate (Bonecrusher vs Our Waverley Star ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cDyVaDJvIE

Tearjerker isn't it :)   amazing to think how many wonderful moments these horses have given us... the big boy :)

and also The Filbert :)   beaut race.

hey Porky.... when that's finished it rolls on to the cricket..and we hear the great Richie Benaud... another legend we lost this year... :) very apt.

Tearjerker isn't it :)   amazing to think how many wonderful moments these horses have given us... the big boy :)

and also The Filbert :)   beaut race.

hey Porky.... when that's finished it rolls on to the cricket..and we hear the great Richie Benaud... another legend we lost this year... :) very apt.

Chestnut, it's the day of champions obviously as the great Henry Cecil died this day also....I'm sure Frank wont mind big red having a caretaker trainer until the time comes.

What a privilege to live to see the achievements of this wonderful chestnut gelding.  It is fitting that his achievements and admiration for his will to win never be forgotten.  My thoughts go to all those who loved and admired him.  He can keep Sunline company.  Two Champions at Ellerslie :)  No racing fan will forget his battle with Waverley Star up the straight in the 1986 Cox Plate.  What a great race the Cox Plate is.

RIP Bonecrusher.

When you think of his beginnings and what he went through... what a fighter, he knew his place in the world   now that's a champ.. overcome all odds and be what you want to be - he wanted to be a racehorse   :)

Way to go Big Red ..  He won't be forgotten :)

Got to love those tough geldings Chestnut.   Passed away in his 33 year, a credit to those who cared for him also. :) 

I use to work for Roger Lang which was in the early 80's and a person from Te Kuiti approached Roger to parpare two horses for the Waikato sales which might of been Dalgety sales but my memory isn't great on all the details.

The two horses were both by pag-asa. During the sales we had a person that approach Roger asking if he had a horse to purchase and Roger told him that there were two horse in the up coming sales and they would sell within his price range. Sadly he brought the wrong horse and that horse went on to win 5 races (I think) The name was Top Plate. The other horse that sold was no other than Bonecrusher. That was the closest I ever came to dealing with a champion.